Foam tyre inserts ?? Are they worth it

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
So as far as I can see the point of foam tyre Inserts are to protect the rim and to run lower pressures

is there any other advantages? Do they make the bike more stable etc ??

Are they worth it or a waste of money ?
Cheers
Been a CushCore user for 3yrs now. Allows better cushioning on rough terrain, super- low pressures & far less chance of burping tyres.
Great if on e-bikes, weight not an issue🙃

Matthew SA

Nov 12, 2020
South Africa
So as far as I can see the point of foam tyre Inserts are to protect the rim and to run lower pressures

is there any other advantages? Do they make the bike more stable etc ??

Are they worth it or a waste of money ?
Cheers
Definitely. all the above PLUS you can ride home if you have a flat that can't be repaired. I suggest you read up on the advantages/disadvantages of low tire pressure. I have them in all my bikes but I ride rocky trails with flats so the low pressure keeps my feet on the pedals.

selenium

Apr 10, 2021
California
I no longer believe in inserts.

The Tannus Armour sounded like a good idea. And the price and marketing material makes you want to believe they work.

But they squash down to 4mm thick after using a few months (3mm on the sides).

Although 4mm of foam may offer some protection against sharp rocks, it won't stop longer cactus needles. So for those who don't want to deal with the maintenance of tubeless (adding more sealant every 3-4 mos.), an insert should help prevent some flats. But they add noticeable friction at low psi.

I ripped them out after a year and went tubeless. There is now much less friction at 12 psi. And I still haven't gotten a flat (although Orange Seal Endurance may have something to do with that.)

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
The original Tanus armour for using with tubes?
for mountainbiking those always sounded like a terrible idea.
Are you going to tell us why? I like not getting flats and the other benefits described in this thread. As for the reduced thickness, I recall reading Tannus recommends deflating your tires occasionally to prevent that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it was (and still is) a pretty stupid design for mountainbiking.
The tube against the insert and insert against the tyre casing all add rolling resistance
The design reduces pneumatic compliance of the tyre by moving the air chamber AWAY from the casing giving more vague handling. Doesn't really add any a lot more protection than a heavier/thicker dual ply tyre casing would.
and it does very little in the way of stiffening sidewall support or holding the tyres bead on the rim at lower pressures
I recall reading Tannus recommends deflating your tires occasionally to prevent that.
Hopefully you can re-read that statement and spot the glaringly obvious flaw

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
Wow I’m having completely different experiences with my Cushcore insert. I notice stiffer sidewalls, less flex, less rim dings, more stability, less deflection, more confidence, ability to decrease psi by about 4 lending less rolling resistance. The list goes on.

But hey, I’m happy to be one of the only riders using the inserts.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Tannus' tube and insert system is nothing like Cushcore. I'd agree with Cushcore offering all of the benefits you have been noticing

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Definitely. all the above PLUS you can ride home if you have a flat that can't be repaired. I
yeah but when it came to the time I had to make the choice to ride to the car on my rim & cushcore or push I couldn't bring myself to ride & risk munting a rim & replacing the cushcore...

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
You guys have me convinced about inserts, I was thinking about going tubeless anyway, and I am a deeply average rider who has no idea how to weight the front wheel, so it seems a no brainer. Plus, I surely can't be expected to keep my tires properly inflated, I mean, come on....
Anyway, which is the best one, in terms of better handling, avoiding burps, and avoiding dings? I guess weight would be a secondary consideration, cost too, don't mind laying out a bit more for better performance. I don't mind wrestling with it either, if the end result works.
This thing with cushcores flattening out, is everyone experiencing this?

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
I believe the Cushcore are the best. I have 800 miles on mine. They are all going to wear out at some point. I can’t believe you are riding tubes though. 😜

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
I also highly recommend the cushcore valve stems while anyone is looking into this option. They are burly and long enough to work with any rim. Plus they are designed to be used with the inserts by blowing air out the side of the stem base rather than through the center. In the early years of CC this was a problem when trying to set the bead and inflate the tires.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Used Cush Core for a cpl of years now .
I prefer the feel . Especially on my front tyre [exo casing ]. Better cornering , less pinging off rocks and roots .

I do recommend buying a cush core tyre lever . Some rims are very difficult to break the bead away . The tyre lever makes it easier .

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I do recommend buying a cush core tyre lever . Some rims are very difficult to break the bead away . The tyre lever makes it easier .

I'm the same, I use inserts both ends because I like how they calm the bike down. Second the Cushcore lever suggestion, also their little tool that holds the bead in so you can more easily refit is fantastically useful.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Another Rimpact user here and very happy with them. With the extra weight of the e-bike I went for Pro at each end.
I personally (your opinion may vary, especially if your first name is Gary) but I found Double Down casings pretty dead feeling. Yes, they offered good support but obviously also lacked suppleness. I ride a lot of woody stuff with big roots and run lower pressures and a lighter more flexible for better traction but with extra sidewall support around the rim from the insert and protection against pinch flats.
Also great in the Scottish Highlands where they love water bars on all the trails.

Extra weight for Rimpact is 95g or for Rimpact PRO it's 160g. Extra weight of a DD or DH casing compared to trail casing is around 100g per tyre.

Not the cheapest but for me (and again I'm sure some of you will disagree) it's money well spent.
What pressures do you run with the Rimpacts ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I didnt really have an opinion on this until recently when on a big ride one of the lads had a tear in the sidewall, couldnt be plugged so needed a tube putting it.
he had the nukeproof inserts which proved to be a total bastard to get the tyre off and insert out, it was hard up against the bead meaning that the tyre lever wouldnt get in there.
with my mighty plumbers grip I bent the tyre enough with both hands so someone else could get in there and break the bead but alone it would have been near impossible with backpack trail tools.
the nukeproof inserts arent man enough to enable the bike to be ridden with a flat tyre, I believe the cushcore are though.
so all in all, it was a terrible mess of sealant and swearing, sweaty middle aged men fixing a bike in the Welsh countryside that put me off inserts altogether..
I usually just use a DH sidewall anyway.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
it was (and still is) a pretty stupid design for mountainbiking.
The tube against the insert and insert against the tyre casing all add rolling resistance
The design reduces pneumatic compliance of the tyre by moving the air chamber AWAY from the casing giving more vague handling. Doesn't really add any a lot more protection than a heavier/thicker dual ply tyre casing would.
and it does very little in the way of stiffening sidewall support or holding the tyres bead on the rim at lower pressures

Hopefully you can re-read that statement and spot the glaringly obvious flaw
Loving my tannus / slime tube overkill solution.
Had 6 months tubeless, which was fine but failed miserably when a nobble tore off. Had 6 months with tannus /slime on new tyres. Revised handling characteristics but as much for downsizing tyres from 2.8 to 2.6 and very different tread pattern as tannus/tube. I got used to that within a couple of rides, run at 20psi front and back. Deflate after each ride, reinflate for next one ( seconds- worth it if it allows it to perform as stated) .
No problems ..... yet 😁👍.
But i'm guessing that's due to there being no cactii in Cornwall except for the Eden Project and i don't ride there....
Not sure what the impact of rolling resistance is but haven't particularly noticed it - mpg still the same

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I didnt really have an opinion on this until recently when on a big ride one of the lads had a tear in the sidewall, couldnt be plugged so needed a tube putting it.
he had the nukeproof inserts which proved to be a total bastard to get the tyre off and insert out, it was hard up against the bead meaning that the tyre lever wouldnt get in there.
with my mighty plumbers grip I bent the tyre enough with both hands so someone else could get in there and break the bead but alone it would have been near impossible with backpack trail tools.
the nukeproof inserts arent man enough to enable the bike to be ridden with a flat tyre, I believe the cushcore are though.
so all in all, it was a terrible mess of sealant and swearing, sweaty middle aged men fixing a bike in the Welsh countryside that put me off inserts altogether..
I usually just use a DH sidewall anyway.
I've got a stick for this if you're interested. Found it the one and only time i had to get a tube in a torn tubeless. Superb fit, makes getting the tyre off a piece of p!$$.
Was going to patent it but haven't found the time.
Moved away from tubeless but kept the stick 😁

wheeland patented stick.jpg

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
Loving my tannus / slime tube overkill solution

Same. Just not a fan of tubeless, and I am a very heavy rider, and so I wanted some extra protection on a pair of E-Wilds - Never had a flat tire in four years using Tannus on two eMtb's. I also like the security that they can be ridden home flat if needs be.

I only use bridleways/farmers tracks and off-road easy mode, and they do the job for me.

Last set I bought directly from Tannus UK, I didn't receive them on time due to time out for his partner's pregnancy, PayPal refunded me, but he also added another complimentary set a week or so later, excellent customer service in the end from this company.

Last edited:

Zachy

Oct 15, 2018
I pretty much swear by CushCore's. I've been running them for 5 years now and nearly 10k miles of riding. The added stiffness to the sidewall helps all tires, especially the front at low pressure to work well in corners without folding or burping. It is still possible to dent the rim when running low pressure, but the dent will be smaller than without the insert. I've only had 2 rear flats that I couldn't plug and seal trailside, but I was able to ride out 5-10 miles without damaging the rim.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
What pressures do you run with the Rimpacts ?

22 in the front and 24 in the rear, but that’s on the dodgy dial on my 10 year old track pump. Plus that’s only when I remember to pump them up, so actual operating pressure may be wildly different.

ToshMerida

Sep 26, 2020
Stirling
Been running these for a year now with no major downsides. Way cheaper than those exorbitant prices charged by Tannus etc.
Picked up a snake bite and completely destroyed rim on the West Highland Way, got my ability and ambition mixed up.
I inserted the 50mm but in hindsight should have been a 40mm.
Have a look lads n lassies

Screenshot_20220917-171359_Chrome.jpg

Andymiff

Nov 27, 2018
Derbyshire
I changed my tyre to a maxis dissector on my levo and thought I’d try an insert. After the huge battle to get it in and on the bike I find that the tyre now rubs on my mudguard (rear tyre). I took off my mudguard and tried a new RRP mudguard; even after cutting it down it still rubbed. So now I have no mudguard for the winter. Is this normal for the tyre to grow in depth with an insert?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles