tyre inserts and fixing punctures

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Since using tyre inserts I’ve had this problem in my mind , you have damaged a tyre too badly for it to seal up it needs to be tubed ,
problem is your left with a very bulky and messy insert covered in tubeless fluid . So best carry some disposable gloves and a bin bag .
I also figured if I’ve damaged my tyre beyond it sealing up its likely to have a fair size hole or rip in the casing . I use Rat bite inserts which fill the tyre void rather than the rim void so I thought perhaps a smaller tube to fill the rim void would work .
Well I’ve recently tried the idea , my fluid was dried up and it was time to change tyres ,so I simply broke the bead one side removed the tubeless valve and stuffed in a 700c roadie tube ,the normal pressure I ride with felt the same as when tubeless so off I went on a days ride to try it out .
It worked well , I had no hassle with it despite the tiny roadie tube being too thin for the size of the void , i really could not tell the difference with the tube fitted . I deliberately gave it a bit of a hard ride over some rocks etc that could often result in a puncture without inserts .
I’ve since sourced a better sized tube to carry as a spare 650b x 35mm seems about right if you can find one .
Another plus is I only need to carry half the size of tube as a spare .

I guess the same method could work with other rim void inserts and a tyre gaiter and valve extension .

There also a new insert I saw in the bike shop yesterday called a Tannus. Which uses a tube in this way , it looked very good and didn’t seem heavy like some I’ve seen and only about £25 so there an option to those who aren’t liking tubeless , be good to hear some feedback on the tannus quality looked high

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
I’ve been looking at the Tannus Armour. They look a good alternative to going tubeless. I’m just waiting for some reviews.

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
If you look up Mctrailrider on youtube he has a video on fitting a Tannus insert and he will put out a review soon.
Thanks. I’ve seen that video, I’m just waiting for an honest review. Most for the reviews on YouTube are posted by tannus, so probably a bit biased.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
With my cushcore insert i just ride it flat back to truck. 3.8 miles last time and through a couple rock gardens.
I went bit slower then normal but didn’t baby it. Tire was already no good so thought i would see how far i could go on a flat.
Felt the rim a couple times on sharp rocks but i had no visible damage to my carbon wheel. The cut in tire was little bigger by time i got back to truck. But i didn’t slime my hands on trail with messy tube install. I have always carried a 29x1.75 small tube as a spare as it works in both front and 27.5 rear well enough to get me home.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
With my cushcore insert i just ride it flat back to truck. 3.8 miles last time and through a couple rock gardens.
I went bit slower then normal but didn’t baby it. Tire was already no good so thought i would see how far i could go on a flat.
Felt the rim a couple times on sharp rocks but i had no visible damage to my carbon wheel. The cut in tire was little bigger by time i got back to truck. But i didn’t slime my hands on trail with messy tube install. I have always carried a 29x1.75 small tube as a spare as it works in both front and 27.5 rear well enough to get me home.
Rat bite will still allow you to ride on a flat tyre , but it won’t do the tyre or insert much good . There was a small feature of a guy who had completed the mega avalanche on a flat rear with a rat bite in , he got there but it was all pretty shredded , Tim was ok though .

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
What y'all fixing slashes in tyres with?
Iv got a tube in rear atm but wanna fix the tyre as its pretty new

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Automotive tyre patches and vulcanising solution tyre casing prepared properly and patched from the inside.
Not proper big slashes though.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
What y'all fixing slashes in tyres with?
Iv got a tube in rear atm but wanna fix the tyre as its pretty new
I once did half of John O Groats to Lands End on my road bike with a McDonalds cup ( cut down to size obvs) lining the inside of my tyre with a sh!t load of puncture patches, inside and out on a slashed tyre - worked a treat, didn't feel it or 'owt. Happened in Glasgow, finally changed the tyre in Wolverhampton 😂😂🙈

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I once did half of John O Groats to Lands End on my road bike with a McDonalds cup ( cut down to size obvs) lining the inside of my tyre with a sh!t load of puncture patches, inside and out on a slashed tyre - worked a treat, didn't feel it or 'owt. Happened in Glasgow, finally changed the tyre in Wolverhampton 😂😂🙈
Were you camping in a shoebox in't middle of road, with gravel for breakfast? 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles