Tyre Choice

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
Looking for new tyres mullet set up to be used for road, path & gravel/light trails, will stick with 2.6 and setup tubeless, quite fancy Pirelli scorpion or Michelin ewilds but not sure really! Thoughts?

TIA

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know you said that you will stick with 2.6" wide tyres. But with that choice of trails, why?
Depending upon your internal rim width, I'd consider going to 2.2" (still tubeless though, it's the best).
You will go further and faster.

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
I know you said that you will stick with 2.6" wide tyres. But with that choice of trails, why?
Depending upon your internal rim width, I'd consider going to 2.2" (still tubeless though, it's the best).
You will go further and faster.
To be honest I know no different, had 3 Levo's all with 2.6 and a kenevo that were on 2.8's they were too much/slow/heavy etc but as it was meant as a DH rig I guess that's why?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
To be honest I know no different, had 3 Levo's all with 2.6 and a kenevo that were on 2.8's they were too much/slow/heavy etc but as it was meant as a DH rig I guess that's why?
given the riding you've described a lighter less aggressive narrower tire might be in order. Look at some cross country and gravel tires as they may actual suit your needs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@dsd1036 You may find this tyre width/rim width chart by WTB of use. Page down to the MTB chart, then find your internal rim width along the top (if you don't know it, it will be on the bike spec, or you can remove a tyre and measure it).

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

Let me assume that your internal rim width is 30mm. Optimal Performance will be given by tyre widths shown with the solid black block ie 55-65mm (2.17" - 2.56"). Tyres that are Compatible are shown with a black dot. So, on your 30mm internal rim width you could go down as far as 47mm (1.85").

The reason I suggested 2.2" in my initial post was that on my various trail mtbs I rode with 2.2" tyres for many thousands of miles all year round and on many different types of trail. I never felt as though I needed wider tyres. It was only when I got an emtb that wide tyres became "a thing".

Tyre pressures can be a thing of mystery, especially if you have come from a road background where high pressures are the norm. There is no doubt that on smooth surfaces high pressures even on mtb tyres are the way to go for low rolling resistance. But if the terrain is at all rocky, rooty, or just not smooth, then lower pressures can be faster, and certainly more comfortable.

Take a look at this fine post from PinkBike's Tech Tuesday series. Read the words and watch the video.

It is from 2011, but it still holds true today. :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles