Tyre change

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Got a Johnny Watts tyre seems OK I will soon find out I dare say. Shortage of 2.6 only reason I got it . May try a 2.5 next time. Usual fiasco putting on last bit. Broke a leven so left it to get my metal one. Tyre came off again I'm thinking heard the rattle of the wheel falling. Looked like a disaster the cassette had came off some pawls and a few bits lying all over . Turns out only one pawl spring was half broken so easy fixed and test ride all was OK.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I’ve never seen a plastic lever not break!!!

so your tire came off or whole wheel? I’m confused. if your tire came off then you need more pressure!! If your wheel came off then either more torque or something is needing replaced and probably at the bike shop.
I was fitting a new tire and the lever broke putting on the last bit.So I went in to shed for another. I'm thinking the second side came off and unbalanced the wheel which fell off the working area ( two wheels bins ) . Cassette must have caught and came off completely with freehub . All the pieces scattered on ground but turned out only one broken pawl spring all that was broken so all good now . Yes agree not a lever that won't break except a metal one.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
too late now but maybe for next time..............with a new tyre I take it out of its packaging and put it in the airing cupboard for a day ( laid flat). That way the folds in the bead caused by the packaging are removed and the tyre is warmed nicely. Then squirt some soapy water on the wheel rim and on the tyre bead. That way I can usually seat tyre without levers ( unless it s a Schwalbe!!). I mostly use Maxxis Assegai or DHR11 or Michelin Wild Enduro on my own bikes so maybe they are just easy to fit??

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
too late now but maybe for next time..............with a new tyre I take it out of its packaging and put it in the airing cupboard for a day ( laid flat). That way the folds in the bead caused by the packaging are removed and the tyre is warmed nicely. Then squirt some soapy water on the wheel rim and on the tyre bead. That way I can usually seat tyre without levers ( unless it s a Schwalbe!!). I mostly use Maxxis Assegai or DHR11 or Michelin Wild Enduro on my own bikes so maybe they are just easy to fit??
I did put the soapy water on and did think maybe I should have had this in the house for a day instead of the shed. I was surprised how easy the first side went on i didn't need a leaver . Second side the usual last six inches was a problem i needed about four hands . Put a tie wrap on and got it in the end .In the heat for a day would have sorted it i agree . Not often I get a puncture on the trail but always get tire off and on ok then ? . Still learning after all these years . Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles