Repair Hole in tyre

Ken B

Jan 6, 2020
Plymouth
Have just bought a new Continental tyres " Argotal" and on the first ride out suffered a big cut in the rear tyre "Centre of the tyre" no problem to get home as used a plug repair kit. However, now trying to seal the hole with a patch on the inner tyre, no success at the moment as still have very small leak. Any suggestions for the best type of glue to use on the tyre ? I guess needs to be flexible also strong.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I’ve just used standard inner tube patches and glue.

If you only have a small leak the tubless goo will sort that.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
find a tubeless mushroom of the right size

(I think they do 3mm, 4, 5, 6, ) which is the wire diameter - try to find an ad with the patch diameter specified So you know it’ll cover your cut well enough

thry fit on the inside of the tyre - so you need to unbead it on one side (clean inside tyre, sandpaper, clean, )then remove cover from mushroom and pull it thru hole by the wire (inside to outside) so that it sticks, apply firmly (rub on with a dry cloth etc) once stuck cut excess wire and I cover the patch with rubber solotion As per a puncture.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've had no issues patching the inside of tyres with normal inner tube patches, I've done it multiple times and they've always been fine. The key is to get the surface clean so I rub it down with sandpaper/wet and dry then clean the area thoroughly with either meths (denatured alcohol) or brake cleaner then apply the patch as normal. If it's a particularly big hole I've worked a bit of super glue into the cut from the outside (prior to attempting the patch) and let that go off first. I've even done a repair with a Park patch when I've been desperate and that held up tubeless afterwards without issue. All that being said though, I am going to buy some of those mushrooms that towzer linked above for future usage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles