Turbo Levo SL vs Rail (5 or 7 or 9 etc.)

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Not sure it’s a fair comparison as the rail is a “full fat” ebike and the SL is somewhere between a normal bike and a “full fat” ebike.
I was considering a Levo SL before I rode a Rail 7, I now own a 2020 Rail 7 and couldn’t be happier. The Levo SL is more expensive and the way I see it is why pay more money for a bike with lesser motor and battery capabilities. If you don’t want the full on assistance the Rail offers over the SL just ride it around in ECO.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Not sure it’s a fair comparison as the rail is a “full fat” ebike and the SL is somewhere between a normal bike and a “full fat” ebike.
I was considering a Levo SL before I rode a Rail 7, I now own a 2020 Rail 7 and couldn’t be happier. The Levo SL is more expensive and the way I see it is why pay more money for a bike with lesser motor and battery capabilities. If you don’t want the full on assistance the Rail offers over the SL just ride it around in ECO.
Thank you! But do you think their weight difference makes a big difference on the track? Lighter is much better? Or it doesn't make a lot of difference?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@p3eps had a Rail in Dentist spec and not has a similarly spec'd SL. He's probably the best person to ask.

I've got a Rail 7 and I'm waiting for a demo of an SL.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
You picked 2 totally different bike and it all depends on what you want out of an ebike. If you ride by yourself or other normal bikes, the Levo SL is a great bike.

If you plan on riding with other normal ebikes, you get blown away on the climbs.
A regular ebike is just as fast as a regular bike or Levo SL on the downhill. It is amazing what you as a rider gets use to regarding the weight of the bike. My downhill times are almost the same as my normal bike for the downhill.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Try these...

My experiences of both.
Both great bikes... but the SL was more what I was looking for.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Try these...

My experiences of both.
Both great bikes... but the SL was more what I was looking for.
Thanks!

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
One thing I realised when looking for an ebike is that weight isn’t as big a consideration, you have the motor to assist you. I’m not a heavy rider and the Rail is 48lbs ish and it flies up hill and downhill. Sometimes too fast downhill..

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
My 5 cents worth, it depends what sort of rider you are, where you like to ride. I have a Rail 7 and the weight definitely disappears beneath you when you ride. The weight is actually an advantage on the trails, planted, stable, forces the tyres to dig in and find grip in muddy conditions. Even handling -wise it's surprisingly nimble. But then if you need to lift it over a gate or into the back of a car, or wrestle with it on the workstand...then you notice the weight. For me, having a slight build, I was seriously considering the lighter eebs like the Levo SL and the Lapierre, but these bikes are seriously more money than my Rail. The cheapest SL is NZ$10,000 and comes with Sram's cheapest, heaviest drivetrain. So in the end cost was a big factor in my decision, that and how much I read about motor failures on the Speshys

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles