Trek Rail - first ride

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I collected my Rail on Monday, Invisiframed on Tuesday, Wednesday and a little bit on Thursday evening (sounds like a Craig David song ?)... and spent the rest of Thursday setting up suspension, putting pedals & mudguards on, and fine tuning the gears.

Friday was an evening off other than looking some stuff out and fitting the matchmaker set to put the shifters on the brakes - and this morning was the ‘maiden voyage’!

Last Saturday I rode my Stumpy a 10mile loop that I often do at a local trail. For the first time ever, I attached my Sony Action Camera (much like a go-pro) onto my chest and filmed it. It was also routed on my Garmin Edge 520. Today I did the same - purely for a comparison.
The route I did has 510m of elevation gain.

On my Stumpy, this took 1hr and 27mins (1hr 19mins moving). Both bikes have the SRAM Eagle groupset, and I spent about 3/4 of it on one of the 2 biggest cogs. A lot of the journey was at about 2.5-3mph. There’s quite a lot of fire road involved, but there is also a single track uphill climb - which has some quite technical ‘obstacles’ on the way. Some of these I have to get off and push over, as I don’t have the speed or stamina to carry them. It’s also difficult to do some of them due to continual pedal strikes if you were to try and pedal up them at slow speed.

This morning, I rode the rail in EMTB mode for the entire journey. There were no 2.5-3mph sections... and I did the entire loop in 50mins (44mins moving). There were no issues with any of the obstacles or climbs (other than a bit of inexperience where I pedalled at the wrong time and got an unexpected surge!).
The bike felt really planted, and comfortable to ride. I’ve read of people saying the front comes up quite easy on steep climbs, but I actually found it much better than my SJ. The trail was relatively dry, and the Bontrager stock tyres were surprisingly good.
The Bosch Gen4 motor was surprisingly quiet, and I didn’t notice any rattling.

After I completed that loop, I left some stuff in the car and headed out again. I did another 11 and a bit miles (695m elevation gain) and tackled some uphill sections that I would have never dreamed possible on a regular bike. The sort of climbs that tire you out when pushing and you struggle with footing on big rocks. I’m not saying they were easy to climb, but I managed.
I was starting to panic when the battery turned orange at 30%, but I made it back to the car with 12% remaining!

I spoke to a few people whilst out, and they were all pro EMTB. The general consensus was that if money wasn’t an object, they’d have one.
Good news is I have a few hour window tomorrow and my wife has said I can go cycle again! Can’t wait!!

B7B8D9E5-75FF-4CBC-B4E2-FEB18FE4AB44.jpeg
593D0973-2E33-47DF-8191-CF6F3E6A11D6.jpeg
BA564E90-F8CF-49F1-82E7-D73EF2C32BEE.jpeg
FB32F23C-A46E-4000-A7DB-931A4AC22311.jpeg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
My first ride on my new Rail didn't go so well.
I ended up in A&E after over shooting a jump and knocked myself out!
I was more worried about the bike though, crashed it with about 10 miles on it.
Luckily no major damage, just scuffed the top of the handle bar.

20200120_102938.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My first ride on my new Rail didn't go so well.
I ended up in A&E after over shooting a jump and knocked myself out!
I was more worried about the bike though, crashed it with about 10 miles on it.
Luckily no major damage, just scuffed the top of the handle bar.

Wow! Are you ok?

I took my first ride relatively easy, as I didn’t want to trash the bike on the first outing. Got quite a nasty mark on the top of a crank from hitting a rock, and my bash guard has a gouge already.
I’m sure there will be plenty more in a few weeks though!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yeah I was lucky just cuts and bruises, but boy I hit my head hard, still got a headache now.
When I did it, I didn't have a clue where I was ?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Hi Paul MAC & P3eps, our of instrest What model of the Trek rail’s did you go for! I am test riding a rail 7 on Friday to compare against a Levo I had this week end. I took one up and down the road outside the shop today today and it naturally felt more comfortable/rideable straight away. That might just be the set up though!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi Paul MAC & P3eps, our of instrest What model of the Trek rail’s did you go for! I am test riding a rail 7 on Friday to compare against a Levo I had this week end. I took one up and down the road outside the shop today today and it naturally felt more comfortable/rideable straight away. That might just be the set up though!

That’s about as much as a test ride as I got on mine! The only thing it really helped with was that it was the right size. I test rode a 5, and bought a 9.9.

I adjusted the suspension and moved the brake angles a bit. Apart from that, mine was comfortable straight out of the box.

I put my Shockwiz on for my Sunday ride, and it said my fork was almost perfect. A couple of twists of rebound / compression and I’ll see what it reports next time!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I had a 2019 levo expert which I loved, but after 16 months of ownership and a fair few issues, I decided to try the rail.
I test rode a 9.0 from the Trek store at Milton Keynes and rode it at Woburn.
I must say I loved it straight away, felt much more sturdy and confident compared to my levo.
I ended up buying the 9.8 which is the same as the 9.0 just with carbon frame.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really ride it yet after my off, stiff very sore round my shoulder.
I would have been happy with the 9.0 but got a good price on the 9.8?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
That’s about as much as a test ride as I got on mine! The only thing it really helped with was that it was the right size. I test rode a 5, and bought a 9.9.

I adjusted the suspension and moved the brake angles a bit. Apart from that, mine was comfortable straight out of the box.

I put my Shockwiz on for my Sunday ride, and it said my fork was almost perfect. A couple of twists of rebound / compression and I’ll see what it reports next time!

Hi P3eps
What frame size did you buy...why height are you?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I had a 2019 levo expert which I loved, but after 16 months of ownership and a fair few issues, I decided to try the rail.
I test rode a 9.0 from the Trek store at Milton Keynes and rode it at Woburn.
I must say I loved it straight away, felt much more sturdy and confident compared to my levo.
I ended up buying the 9.8 which is the same as the 9.0 just with carbon frame.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really ride it yet after my off, stiff very sore round my shoulder.
I would have been happy with the 9.0 but got a good price on the 9.8?
Paul Mac yes hearing the issues that some of the Levo/Kenevo owners are having is slightly concerning in my mind. Thats not to say the Gen 4 Bosch will be faultless. How did you find switching over from Levo to Rail? Did you notice any difference in power/tourq/battery longevity or noise?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Paul Mac yes hearing the issues that some of the Levo/Kenevo owners are having is slightly concerning in my mind. Thats not to say the Gen 4 Bosch will be faultless. How did you find switching over from Levo to Rail? Did you notice any difference in power/tourq/battery longevity or noise?
So far only covered about 50 miles on the rail, so early days.
The motor is slightly louder than the levo, but still quiet enough.
Even though on paper the Bosch motor is down on torque it actually feels stronger.
It definitely comes in with more torque (in a good way)
I am also enjoying the emtb mode, which the levo didn't have.
I would say the levo with the 700 wh battery still has the legs on the 625 wh in the Bosch mileage wise, I reckon there's about 6 miles in it, in the Levos favour.
The rail does feel a more rowdy capable bike though
Both are terrific bikes though ?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Even though on paper the Bosch motor is down on torque it actually feels stronger.
I would say the levo with the 700 wh battery still has the legs on the 625 wh in the Bosch mileage wise, I reckon there's about 6 miles in it, in the Levos favour.
Yes it felt definitely more rowdy than the levo and that was just riding down the pavement! I am looking forward to taking it fir a proper ride on Friday.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I sat on the Large today and it felt very similar in size to a medium Levo.
I had a medium levo and now a medium Rail.
A large Rail is significantly bigger than a medium Levo.

Dirt_Ebike

Dec 2, 2019
Fort Collins Colorado
Paul mac
dang, be careful with those concussions! Getting a second one before you have recovered leads to major problems. Make sure you take plenty of time off, and buy a nice beefy full face helmet for your return

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Paul mac

dang, be careful with those concussions! Getting a second one before you have recovered leads to major problems. Make sure you take plenty of time off, and buy a nice beefy full face helmet for your return
Thank you for your concern?
Not a full face, but I just bought one of these, a half way house.

15801544805421114304039745348323.jpg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Nice looking lid. What brand?
It's called a Giro Tyrant.
It's made for free riding, much beefier than a half shell.
It has two impact absorbing shells inside, one for slow speed and one for bigger impacts and they move within each over, like next level MIPS.
Hope I don't did it for a while though?

EMTB Rider

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale Arizona USA
I collected my Rail on Monday, Invisiframed on Tuesday, Wednesday and a little bit on Thursday evening (sounds like a Craig David song ?)... and spent the rest of Thursday setting up suspension, putting pedals & mudguards on, and fine tuning the gears.

Friday was an evening off other than looking some stuff out and fitting the matchmaker set to put the shifters on the brakes - and this morning was the ‘maiden voyage’!

Last Saturday I rode my Stumpy a 10mile loop that I often do at a local trail. For the first time ever, I attached my Sony Action Camera (much like a go-pro) onto my chest and filmed it. It was also routed on my Garmin Edge 520. Today I did the same - purely for a comparison.
The route I did has 510m of elevation gain.

On my Stumpy, this took 1hr and 27mins (1hr 19mins moving). Both bikes have the SRAM Eagle groupset, and I spent about 3/4 of it on one of the 2 biggest cogs. A lot of the journey was at about 2.5-3mph. There’s quite a lot of fire road involved, but there is also a single track uphill climb - which has some quite technical ‘obstacles’ on the way. Some of these I have to get off and push over, as I don’t have the speed or stamina to carry them. It’s also difficult to do some of them due to continual pedal strikes if you were to try and pedal up them at slow speed.

This morning, I rode the rail in EMTB mode for the entire journey. There were no 2.5-3mph sections... and I did the entire loop in 50mins (44mins moving). There were no issues with any of the obstacles or climbs (other than a bit of inexperience where I pedalled at the wrong time and got an unexpected surge!).
The bike felt really planted, and comfortable to ride. I’ve read of people saying the front comes up quite easy on steep climbs, but I actually found it much better than my SJ. The trail was relatively dry, and the Bontrager stock tyres were surprisingly good.
The Bosch Gen4 motor was surprisingly quiet, and I didn’t notice any rattling.

After I completed that loop, I left some stuff in the car and headed out again. I did another 11 and a bit miles (695m elevation gain) and tackled some uphill sections that I would have never dreamed possible on a regular bike. The sort of climbs that tire you out when pushing and you struggle with footing on big rocks. I’m not saying they were easy to climb, but I managed.
I was starting to panic when the battery turned orange at 30%, but I made it back to the car with 12% remaining!

I spoke to a few people whilst out, and they were all pro EMTB. The general consensus was that if money wasn’t an object, they’d have one.
Good news is I have a few hour window tomorrow and my wife has said I can go cycle again! Can’t wait!!

View attachment 24971 View attachment 24972 View attachment 24973 View attachment 24974
Great Bike! Its by far the best ebike I have ever ridden. I have about 300 miles on mine . My good friend has a levo and yesterday I rode his for about 30 minutes and couldn't wait to get back on my Rail 9.7

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Great Bike! Its by far the best ebike I have ever ridden. I have about 300 miles on mine . My good friend has a levo and yesterday I rode his for about 30 minutes and couldn't wait to get back on my Rail 9.7
You running yours restricted?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Is the carbon frame of the 9.8 much better than that of the Ali 9 would you say? It obviously has a £850 price increase and weights 2 kg-ish less but do but is the handling that much better?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Is the carbon frame of the 9.8 much better than that of the Ali 9 would you say? It obviously has a £850 price increase and weights 2 kg-ish less but do but is the handling that much better?
It's just the weight, I couldn't tell the difference in riding the Ali or the carbon.
I also like the colour ways of the 9.8 better

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Just checking the Rail spec and it seems they all have 180mm rotors. Most comparative makes use 203mm. Is there a reason for this? I'm sure the brakes work ok with those callipers. Would there be an overheating issue?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Where are you seeing that? The Trek website doesn’t give disc size for the Rail 7. I’ll check tonight but I’m pretty sure it’s 203 both ends.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
There was preview inhttps://ebike-mtb.com/en/first-ride-review-2020-trek-rail-9-8/and here's the spec they gave.

Trek Rail 9.8
Frame material: Carbon
Motor/battery/Display: Bosch Performance CX, 625 Wh, Purion
Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select Plus, 160 mm
Shock: RockShox Deluxe RT3 RE:aktiv Thru Shaft
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle single-click, 12-speed
Brakes: Shimano SLX M7120 4-piston hydraulic disc, 180 mm rotor
Seatpost: Bontrager Line Elite Dropper
Wheelset: Bontrager Line Comp 30
Tires: Bontrager SE5 Team Issue 29 x 2.60″
Price: € 7,199

Not sure if anyone has one to measure ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles