2022 Rail 7, Rail 9 or 9.8?

Daz7

Feb 6, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Currently looking at my first E-bike and I'm a bit torn.

For a road bike I'd go carbon everytime but have always enjoyed my aluminium enduro bikes (just sold my pivot firebird to help finance this purchase.) So the Rail 7 and 9's are appealing.

However as I'm planning to upgrade forks and shock anyway should I just go Rail 7 and spend the savings on a Fox 38, upgraded rear shock and my choice of dropper post?

Or is the new smart system that good I should be including it in the initial purchase?

Thanks guys.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If I had to do it again I would get the Rail 7 and upgrade to the Fox 38. I’d hold off on sudden upgrades until you get a good feel of what you need. That might be a few months to year to get the bike to were you like. Could be a dropper or that could be a shock, maybe even brakes or an AXS system.
I have a 2020 Rail 9.7 and it’s almost upgraded to death in the past 21/2 years. My only regret was installing the Shimano XTR master brake cylinder and lever …I broke the casing during a OTB and they never felt right. MT7’s with 220mm rotors it was. Oh…and a cool stem cap.

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
The 2022 Rail 9.8's and above get the new Geo, bigger battery and the Bosch Smart System where as the 9.7's and below do not (i assume they will get it next year). Might be worth researching how much these changes are worth to you personally and make a decision from there.

I don't think there is a huge difference between a Zeb and Fox 38 either if that was a sticking point.

Daz7

Feb 6, 2019
Sydney, Australia
If I had to do it again I would get the Rail 7 and upgrade to the Fox 38. I’d hold off on sudden upgrades until you get a good feel of what you need. That might be a few months to year to get the bike to were you like. Could be a dropper or that could be a shock, maybe even brakes or an AXS system.

Good advice, I was aiming to ride it for a bit anyway.

The 2022 Rail 9.8's and above get the new Geo, bigger battery and the Bosch Smart System where as the 9.7's and below do not (i assume they will get it next year). Might be worth researching how much these changes are worth to you personally and make a decision from there.

Didn't realise on the geo, will check the specs. thanks

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I have own a 2021 Rail 9.8 (old geo) and have been on the Rail 7 quite a bit. Personally I was surprised how much more playful the 9.8 was than the 7s I’ve used. I’m not sure if it’s just the weight saving on the 9.8, or the suspension (or both) that’s the culprit. The 7 felt a lot more “dead”. I would go for the carbon if you can afford it. I’m planning to upgrade to the 9.8 2022, and what I look forward to the most is a bigger battery, but I’m a bit concerned about the feel of the bike compared to the 2021. I’m 175cm and ride a Medium

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
Currently looking at my first E-bike and I'm a bit torn.

For a road bike I'd go carbon everytime but have always enjoyed my aluminium enduro bikes (just sold my pivot firebird to help finance this purchase.) So the Rail 7 and 9's are appealing.

However as I'm planning to upgrade forks and shock anyway should I just go Rail 7 and spend the savings on a Fox 38, upgraded rear shock and my choice of dropper post?

Or is the new smart system that good I should be including it in the initial purchase?

Thanks guys.

Exactly what I did. Couldn't be happier. Sold my 21 Jam2 6.9 because the Rail setup was so much better.

IMG-2543 small.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m planning to upgrade to the 9.8 2022, and what I look forward to the most is a bigger battery, I’m 175cm and ride a Medium
If I was 190lbs+ I would consider the larger battery but since I’m a lite-weight the 625wh does the job. My neighbour with the exact same bike (medium rail 9.7),needs the larger battery(750wh) and will probably do the swap later this year. The other Rail 7’s that I’ve rode are great bikes but I’m happy with the carbon 9.7.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
If I was 190lbs+ I would consider the larger battery but since I’m a lite-weight the 625wh does the job. My neighbour with the exact same bike (medium rail 9.7),needs the larger battery(750wh) and will probably do the swap later this year. The other Rail 7’s that I’ve rode are great bikes but I’m happy with the carbon 9.7.
I’ve depleted the battery a few times now. I’m usually pretty knackerd by then though, but as Rob said, it’s nice not to loose effect too early on a long trip. I’m not a big guy😅

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Unfortunately, one item to factor into your decision process nowadays is product availability. Don’t buy something thinking your going to do “x” to it (let’s say add a specific fork), only to discover you can’t get that fork until next year…

As s side note, my wife and I find the top tubes on the ’21 Trek Rail 9.8 XTs to be fairly high give frame size. Not sure if the new ’22 Rail 9 geo changes that.

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
I'd go 9.8 if you have the funds, I was originally was going buy the 7 but ended up buying the 9 both '22 models due to not having a bike to donate parts to the 7. Every '22 model above the 9 gets the new geo as others have touched on, Rob has stated that he sized down on his 9.8 due to the new geo.

I was fortunate that my local Trek store had both of these models, as others have said availability will be your first hurdle. The local Trek store advised that the next lot of Rails to come in would probably be August at the minimum.

If the '23 Rail 9 & below come with 750wh batteries, I will most likely sell my '22 to go to that.

Essentially you'll be future proofing with the '22 9.8 if you were to go down that route.

Pyga Tom

Jan 25, 2020
South Africa
I ordered a Rail 7 in September last year, delivery date given was March/April this year. Went for the full alu bike much for the same reasons you mentioned. A 2022 9.7 arrived at the shop in December, I didn't know what the spec was, they just said it was one up from the 7. So bought it..

After 1500 kms of riding, I haven't actually found the need to upgrade anything yet, other than the front tyre which doesn't really like the dry Cape summers. And I might look at upgrading the internals of the Domain at some stage, but overall it is a great bike as is for the type of riding that I do.

Tom

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles