Trek Rail - Shortening Stem

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I went from a 60mm to 45mm length. I noticed the difference almost immediately. Climbing became a bit more difficult but my descent on trails became more controlled. I don’t think I would go any shorter than 45mm. Seems to be my happy spot. (780mm carbon bars). Myself, I would not go -35mm.

Last edited:

Graveldragon.cc

Jan 30, 2021
Wales
I went from a 60mm to 45mm length. I noticed the difference almost immediately. Climbing became a bit more difficult but my descent on trails became more controlled. I don’t think I would go any shorter than 45mm. Seems to be my happy spot. (780mm carbon bars). Myself, I would not go 35mm.
It seemed to be the thing to do to go as dhort stem as possible a few years ago. With the slack geometry that the Rail has would this be a bad idea?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not sure. I suppose it depends on a number of factors. Type of terrain, my personal geometry, weather, ability or wether I’m happy with the feel, etc. I might change back to a 60mm stem this summer.
But right now, at this time, a 45mm stem feels right. I have a medium Rail 9.7 with a number of upgrades. The 45mm stem was a good change.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
60/50/30 then settled on a 40. Xl rail 7

CB653530-49D5-436B-BB09-020CC0F8294A.jpeg

93F04CF2-FDC0-4A48-85E3-D0FABDE8C049.jpeg

LexC

Nov 28, 2020
Cape Town
My XL came with a 60mm stem. Changed to OneUp bars and 50mm stem.

Took a bit of getting used to, but overall I do prefer it now. I probably wouldn’t go much shorter though.

On the first ride out it felt like i was hanging over the back a bit more when standing though berms, i do enjoy the feeling of siting a bit more upright when pedaling though.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
In the past few days I kinda analyzed the stem geometry for my riding style. I think my body shape was the main factor. I’m only 5’9” but my arm-span is suited for someone who is 6’2”. I suppose this means I have a short torso but I have long legs. So some advantages and disadvantages. Regardless, this makes my setup unique to me.
A 60mm stem was fine but descending was not as fun as climbing. And climbing was not as important as descending. Our trails in this area are very technical, rocky at times and rooty. Since I changed to a 45mm stem my reaction has improved when descending. Climbing however has caused me to lean forward more in order to keep the front tire down on steep climbs. I can live with that.

So it seems to be a give and take and it all depends on a number of factors…starting with me. I suppose I could change the bar sweep, bar position and bar width but a stem choice is a fast change with significant differences. And I can change back in a few minutes or if my riding area changes.

Btw, I went with the Blendr 35mm bar size and it accepts a GoPro/light mount. Stem length is 60/45/35mm.

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
You need one of these (if you want to run a different stem):

Or you can get a Bontrager stem in 40mm length:

Out of stock in the UK though.

I have both but settled on the stem because of my bike related OCD!

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Has anyone put a much shorter stem on their Trek Rail. E.g. 35mm or less? How did it affect the handling?
Has anyone put a much shorter stem on their Trek Rail. E.g. 35mm or less? How did it affect the handling?
I went from the stock 50mm on my L Rail 9.8 to a 32mm and love it. At 5' 10" I might be better suited for a medium, but the shorter stem makes the bike feel perfect, now. Haven't noticed much difference on the climbs and I have more control and flexibility while descending. Plus, I like the way it looks.

20210505_175803.jpg

ckkone

May 21, 2021
UTAH USA
I went from the stock 50mm on my L Rail 9.8 to a 32mm and love it. At 5' 10" I might be better suited for a medium, but the shorter stem makes the bike feel perfect, now. Haven't noticed much difference on the climbs and I have more control and flexibility while descending. Plus, I like the way it looks.

View attachment 61802

Is that the turbine r stem? What spacers are those?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Wow! all you guys fitting shorter stems and I'm looking at fitting a longer one. I have a medium Rail and at 5' 8" I find it way too short.
You could put that down to me riding XC bikes for the last thirty years, but the measurement from the stem to the seat post (horixontally) on my rail is a good two to three centimetres shorter than on my medium Focus Jam2 and medium Spectral on. According to the specs that strange measurement called 'reach' they should all be pretty similar at 445mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles