Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo - Creaking Cranks

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I get loud creaking sounds coming from the cranks. The noise is coming from both seated and standing pedalling. The higher the torque going through the cranks, the louder the creaking. It is very loud. It can still be head in a noisy environment. e.g. Wind. Road Traffic.
Possibilities -
Seat Post & where it sits in the frame needs cleaning - haven't tried anything yet - but I think that the noise persists when standing pedalling rules this out
Pedals - Swapped them for another pair, the noise persists
Cranks - Have taken the cranks off, cleaned and added a small amount of grease and the noise persists
Motor/Motor Mount - The still noise persists with the motor turned off
Front wheel - swapped it with another wheel from my Stumpjumper - the noise still persists
Chainring bolts - Taken all 4 bolts out and cleaned and regreased - the nosie still persists
Pivot bearings - Checked with shock and rear wheel removed - all Okay

Anything else it could be ?

Last edited:

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Front wheel bearing?
Shimano HB-MT400 Front Hub, was fitted to my21 Levo, to put politely, their very poor!
On strip down the adjustment cones were pitted whilst wheel race appears good, I assume the bearings and cage are shot!
A very cheap hub, that would be best fitted to an Argos bike.

I had exhausted your list
The alternative is motor, though I’d favour the above!
Ive since fitted a DT Swiss front wheel

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Watching with interest! I have the same issue with my '19 Levo. Ruled out headset, dropper, seat, loose bolts. Does anyone know if parts need to be replaced, or just remove the motor, clean, and reinstall? I'm guessing new motor mount bolts are a good idea, but I don't see how the new bolts themselves would change the creak.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
The bump on the drive side is for motor clearance and it tends to rub on motor. I ended up pulling the motor and adding some thermal pads that fixed the noise.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Your description suggests the creak occurs when you increase torque on the cranks. That torque delivers torsional forces to the BB ( in this case of course it is the motor bolted into the bottom of the frame) so tt could be motor mounts. If so the most likely place to develop a creak is where the back of the bolt head sits against the motor case. So just loosening each in turn sufficient to brush between those faces and push in a little grease would resolve it.
That torsional force is also delivered to the rear wheel and that is held square to the front triangle with pivot bearings. So alternatively you could have a worn pivot bearing. Try removing the back wheel and the bottom shock bolt and test the movement of the rear triangle.
Whilst you have the rear wheel out also check the bearings in the rear hub.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I get loud creaking sounds coming from the cranks. The noise is coming from both seated and standing pedalling. The higher the torque going through the cranks, the louder the creaking. It is very loud. It can still be head in a noisy environment. e.g. Wind. Road Traffic.
Possibilities -
Seat Post & where it sits in the frame needs cleaning - haven't tried anything yet - but I think that the noise persists when standing pedalling rules this out
Pedals - Swapped them for another pair, the noise persists
Cranks - Have taken the cranks off, cleaned and added a small amount of grease and the noise persists
Motor/Motor Mount - The still noise persists with the motor turned off

Anything else it could be ?

I would think you'd still have a creak from the motor mounts even if the motor is turned off.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Front wheel bearing?
Shimano HB-MT400 Front Hub, was fitted to my21 Levo, to put politely, their very poor!
On strip down the adjustment cones were pitted whilst wheel race appears good, I assume the bearings and cage are shot!
A very cheap hub, that would be best fitted to an Argos bike.

I had exhausted your list
The alternative is motor, though I’d favour the above!
Ive since fitted a DT Swiss front wheel
Do a wheelie and stop the front wheel moving with brake , if it still creaks it ain’t the front wheel bearing’s . Could be a warm crank spline !

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
In my case it only creaks when I pedal. Not when coasting (likely not wheels or suspension). Creaks when standing and pedaling (likely not dropper or seat). Creaks when no-hands and pedaling (likely not headset).

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you may be a ble to re-create the sound with the bike upside down on the bars and seat and then pull outward on one crank as hard as you can. Similarly, you can pull on the chain stay or seat stay sideways.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
It's the motor rubbing on the inside of the frame on the drive side!
1650383044345.jpeg

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Can rule out the front wheel - swapped it with another wheel from my Stumpjumper - the noise still persists

The drive train is relatively new - full replacement in September and has had light use since

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I don't know what to do if it's related to the motor - return to Bike shop ?

Could still be something else though

Headset ? Would more likely to be creaking while moving over rough ground, not just specific to pedalling, if I'm right ?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Your description suggests the creak occurs when you increase torque on the cranks. That torque delivers torsional forces to the BB ( in this case of course it is the motor bolted into the bottom of the frame) so tt could be motor mounts. If so the most likely place to develop a creak is where the back of the bolt head sits against the motor case. So just loosening each in turn sufficient to brush between those faces and push in a little grease would resolve it.
That torsional force is also delivered to the rear wheel and that is held square to the front triangle with pivot bearings. So alternatively you could have a worn pivot bearing. Try removing the back wheel and the bottom shock bolt and test the movement of the rear triangle.
Whilst you have the rear wheel out also check the bearings in the rear hub.

I'll try this

Pivot bearings - Checked with shock and rear wheel removed - all Okay

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
That sounds like a design flaw, and if so it would have done it right from the start. Why would it only start doing this recently ?

I think a return to bike shop is the only solution. There is still a month left on the 2 year warranty.
The clearance is very tight. sometimes some dirt gets in or the motor shifts slightly.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
You might double check that your your cassette/hub/axel is still tight. Last year I developed a creak that sounded just as you described, only under load and swore it was coming from the crank. After unable to do anything about it on the trail, I took it in to the LBS where I purchased it and they isolated it to the cassette. Back at home it found it had simply worked loose after a recent service. It's been silent ever since.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
I had this and it was driving me crazy.
it ended up being the motor mounts. When I took the motor out,I found that when they installed the replacement motor at the LBS they broke one of the parts of the motor casing that was holding it in place. Sent it back and they replaced the motor free of charge. The noise improved but was still there. Took the motor off on my own with the help of an official Specialized video that I found somewhere on this forum, and realized that they didn’t follow the basic guidelines for installation at the LBS (specially the greasing part, among others). So I did it myself and I put grease at the interface between the motor casing and the bike frame, as instructed.
solved the problem for good!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles