Levo Gen 3 Turbo Levo Cassette Damage - Pretty Disappointed

Coolpixer

Apr 3, 2023
Detroit
Hello everyone! 1st post. I have been riding for decades and recently bought a Comp Alloy. At 100 miles total, I have damaged the cassette. I had no idea a bike so expensive is so fragile. Yes, I shift to 1st gear to climb hills under duress. I can literally put my other "cheap" mt bikes thru hell and never had to repair ---- so I am pretty disappointed. I sincerely thought I was buying one the best most durable bikes on the planet and I paid as such.

Can someone explain or justify this to me? I get light weight vs strength.

Any suggestions going fwd for replacement? Buy same $230 cassette and baby my bike and stop when I encounter a steep hill and gently shift this bike?

Thanks for listening :) and the help!
Cassette.jpg

Todd

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Ouch, that's not good
I never shift under load, as MOTO13 said there's a lot more torque going through the drive train on an emtb
When it's time to change my drive train I might downgrade from 12 to an 11 speed Shimano linkglide system, its supposed to be more durable for ebikes

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you were peddling with increased force and the nm of the motor, I would think the chain would snap first. Like Zim said, the cassette doesn’t seem worn or abused. Metal fatigue or a flaw in the manufacturing? A direct strike to the cog, from a solid object, is unlikely …but possible. The chain or derailer might show signs also, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I can see this happening easily on any emtb. You are shifting under pedal and motor LOAD on the biggest sprocket. This puts the all the force as you are pedaling/shifting on arguably the weakest point on the drive system...the big sprocket. This is why you rarely see the smaller sprockets break.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As everyone said above, don't shift under heavy load. These are ordinary bike transmissions designed to take rider loads, they are not designed to in addition withstand heavy motor loads. So what you have to do is learn to anticipate the need to shift. In other words, pre-shift.

But hey, try to make a warranty claim, you might get lucky ...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve never seen, heard or experienced a broken tooth on a ⚙️ cog before. With the force capable from an eMTB, I would expect this to be a common occurrence. I’ve worn out cogs, bent cogs, but never broke a cog. I have limited experience but but no one in my circle of riders or the 3 LBS’s that I visit, have had a broken cog. Stripped hubs, snapped chains, excessive wear…yes.

I’ve attacked a climb and shifted under load(by accident) and shuttered at the sound created from improper shifting. Luckily nothing obvious happens …but I am concerned of my chain breaking.

Steep climbs are part of my ride and I occasionally shift incorrectly. It may be that my components are fairly good (XT cassette, HG chain, ethirteen chainring, AXS GX derailer.) On my main FS eMTB I’ve replaced 3 cassettes, 6 chains, 2 chainrings 2 hangers and 1 derailer.

There’s probably stronger drivetrains out there available, but they’re also heavier. But my parts are wearing out and I know why. A broken tooth on a cog is tough for me to understand, unless there’s a direct impact.

But hey, try the warranty claim.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Welcome to the forum Cool.

Sram makes quality components. They are well known in the Ebike community. I bet if you contact their customer service with that pic and tell them you have around 100 Km on it . . . . Just for the sake of their brand loyalty and customer service they will probably replace it for you for free.

Can't hurt to also watch a Youtube video on proper Ebike shifting techniques either (you will only break another tooth again). I learn a lot from watching qualified Youtube experts on technique along with input from some of the members here.

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
You wouldn't complain it was the cars fault if you shifted gear in a Porsche without using the clutch and shattered the gearbox.

The bikes are built to be used, not abused. You'll need some mechanical sympathy to use an e-bike properly.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Here is a good Youtube on shifting technique from the EMBN channel. Just be aware they put out a lot of vids on Emtb'ing and as with most Youtube channels they get compensated by the commercials and by some of the products they sponsor on their channel.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Is your first gear sprocket alumin(i)um? I've been buying XG-1150s for my 11-speed 2019 Levo because the first gear sprocket is steel.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I have a buddy that is notorious in our riding group for shifting with no mechanical empathy... he also does not regularly check his b-tension nor his indexing. He's the only person that I've ever seen, or heard of doing this to his cassette.

As others have stated, this is a reality of not shifting the bike with respect.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How come only one tooth broke? Bearing in mind it is the largest gear on the cassette, many teeth would have been engaged by the chain, so I doubt that the chain ripped out the tooth. But hitting a rock when the chain was elsewhere on the cassette would do it.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I was wondering the same thing, Steve, but I can imagine as the chain climbs the gap between 2nd and 1st gear, there may be a moment when the chain pins have only engaged a few sprocket teeth. If rider torque and motor torque are near their maximum, maybe that could shear off the weakest tooth.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was wondering the same thing, Steve, but I can imagine as the chain climbs the gap between 2nd and 1st gear, there may be a moment when the chain pins have only engaged a few sprocket teeth. If rider torque and motor torque are near their maximum, maybe that could shear off the weakest tooth.
Agreed! I shudder to imagine what that must have felt like! :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
File it smooth and keep using it.
Here is a front ring that had a tooth bent over when I hit a rock. It broke off when I straightened it. I filed it smooth with a nearby pebble and carried on. A year later(ish) the ring finally gave up the ghost and would not run. See the new ring in the background. I got my money's worth alright. :)
Big rings.jpg

Of course, that blacksmithing approach may not work with the finely tuned engineering that is a SRAM 12-speed cog. :ROFLMAO:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the broen tooth is directly on the gearchange ramp for that cog........and I assume that cog is ally being a 52t.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
specialized will warranty that I would have thought.

in the meantime why not just buy a new cassette and get riding again, whilst the other one is warrantied

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Or maybe adjust your thumb to stay off first gear. No tools needed. You're welcomer. ;-)

BTW, I used to pass through Elkhorn when my parents drove between our house in Wauwatosa and my grandparents' house in Streator.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Nice. If you're ever near Elkhorn again, give me a shout.

Welcomer? No...no...no...no...hell no. I gave the best advice and we'll leave it at that.

Oh, you're welcome.

maynard

That's a 250 dollar lesson in correct riding technique. Never shift under full power on an incline . I'm guessing you will do the same to next cassette . Maybe after that you will realise ur the problem not the awesome bike ur destroying. Sorry for the harsh reply 😅 I can say that because I did the same thing to my Levo !

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
you can also 'downgrade' / upgrade your drivetrain to 11s (cassette, mech, shifter)
PROS:
* can be cheaper (shimano freehub or XD)
* lighter
* rear mech is way smaller (shimano SLX/XT for example), less rock strikes

this is my setup
pxl_20230210_215554535-jpg.106452

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
you can also 'downgrade' / upgrade your drivetrain to 11s (cassette, mech, shifter)
PROS:
* can be cheaper (shimano freehub or XD)
* lighter
* rear mech is way smaller (shimano SLX/XT for example), less rock strikes
That's a 250 dollar lesson in correct riding technique. Never shift under full power on an incline .
@Coopixer a complete 10-speed Shimano Linkglide set, including derailleur, shifter, cassette and chain can be had for just over €100 before tax... Shimano claims 3x more durable and 3x smoother shifting, cassettes are all steel.

Well worth the investment at this price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles