Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo Advice - Problem Solved

2cool2fool

Sep 6, 2020
USA - Chicago
UPDATE: After posting this - I found my purchase receipt - and my motor is covered under the Specialized Extended Warranty until September, 2024. Problem solved for one year.

I have a 2020 Turbo Levo Alloy. It has 4,600 miles on it and it has as the older 2020 motor. Most of my riding is relatively flat trails and single track - not much jumping or heavy hill climbing. I live in the Midwest U.S. - with winters suck - so the bike is in my basement from November until mid-March each year. I've replaced the chain, tires and brakes every winter - and last year I replaced the entire drive train and upgraded it to SRAM Eagle with the AXS shifter.

I have had absolutely NO problems with the Brose motor, but the extended Specialized warranty expired in August of this year. The motor is still quiet, and runs fine. So here's my question:

Should I proactively pull the motor and send it in to the guys in Tennessee to have it rebuilt (seals, bearing, belt, etc.) during the winter down time - or just wait until it blows up? If it blows up during the riding season - it could take quite a while to get it pulled, rebuilt and back on the trail. During the winter - I've got months to do the work. I hate to yank a perfectly good motor - but sooner or later, it's going to crap out.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about what you'd do in my shoes. Thanks

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'd just keep riding it until it fails, assuming it does. Then you can get a new one from Specialized and it'll be the latest updated version. It only takes about an hour to R&R a Brose in a Levo. A shop could easily do it in a day if they have to motor

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I'd just keep riding it until it fails, assuming it does. Then you can get a new one from Specialized and it'll be the latest updated version. It only takes about an hour to R&R a Brose in a Levo. A shop could easily do it in a day if they have to motor
This only works if they have motors in inventory. That is not always guaranteed, but it's still a large proactive expense.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
UPDATE: After posting this - I found my purchase receipt - and my motor is covered under the Specialized Extended Warranty until September, 2024. Problem solved for one year.

I have a 2020 Turbo Levo Alloy. It has 4,600 miles on it and it has as the older 2020 motor. Most of my riding is relatively flat trails and single track - not much jumping or heavy hill climbing. I live in the Midwest U.S. - with winters suck - so the bike is in my basement from November until mid-March each year. I've replaced the chain, tires and brakes every winter - and last year I replaced the entire drive train and upgraded it to SRAM Eagle with the AXS shifter.

I have had absolutely NO problems with the Brose motor, but the extended Specialized warranty expired in August of this year. The motor is still quiet, and runs fine. So here's my question:

Should I proactively pull the motor and send it in to the guys in Tennessee to have it rebuilt (seals, bearing, belt, etc.) during the winter down time - or just wait until it blows up? If it blows up during the riding season - it could take quite a while to get it pulled, rebuilt and back on the trail. During the winter - I've got months to do the work. I hate to yank a perfectly good motor - but sooner or later, it's going to crap out.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about what you'd do in my shoes. Thanks
If you did send it to eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee, you would still get a 12 month warranty from Michael, plus you would get a motor that you probably wouldn't have to walk home with one day. There is no "latest updated" version of the motor that fits your bike, so you will get the same motor again until your warranty runs out.
I can guarantee that it's always cheaper to upgrade your motor before any internal damage starts. To be honest, the absolute best time to do this is when the motor is new.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
If you did send it to eBike Motor Repair in Tennessee, you would still get a 12 month warranty from Michael, plus you would get a motor that you probably wouldn't have to walk home with one day. There is no "latest updated" version of the motor that fits your bike, so you will get the same motor again until your warranty runs out.
I can guarantee that it's always cheaper to upgrade your motor before any internal damage starts. To be honest, the absolute best time to do this is when the motor is new.
Does the upgrade have an improved sprag clutch bearing? I think I remember you saying these are being damaged due to crank arms hitting rocks rather than just moisture. My bike is rarely ever wet, but I do tend to smash my cranks into our rocky trails.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Does the upgrade have an improved sprag clutch bearing? I think I remember you saying these are being damaged due to crank arms hitting rocks rather than just moisture. My bike is rarely ever wet, but I do tend to smash my cranks into our rocky trails.
In our upgrade kits we use sprag bearings with larger sprags and thicker cages. Although these do suffer shocks better, they are still not indestructible. Unfortunately, the forces that can be generated through a crash or big pedal strike are enormous and basically, something has to give! Saying this, it is much nicer to be able to replace the odd sprag bearing than have to replace a very expensive crankshaft or gear set, as with many other makes of motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles