Tubeless Replacement for Schwalbe Smart Sams

NightFox

Mar 16, 2024
UK
tl;dr: I'm looking for a tubeless replacement for my 29x2.6" Smart Sams

My Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro came with Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres which are actually suiting my riding pretty well. However, I want to go tubeless and I'm looking for advice on a suitable replacement. Most of my riding is on broken country lanes, muddy farm tracks, tree-rooted canal paths and some normal road riding that connects them all together so I want something with a low rolling resistance on roads (like the Smart Sams) but which isn't a tyre aimed at commuters who spend 80% of their time on urban roads with just the occasional weekend trail, which most of the replacements seem to be aimed at.
I did look at the e-50 rated Conti eRuban, but that isn't tubeless and the e-25 regular Ruban which is tubeless seems more urban/commuter focussed than the eRuban.

Thanks!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Why not just go tubeless with your Smart Sams?

Whilst clearly "good" if the tyre is tubeless ready (TLR) or even "better" a proper tubeless tyre (UST or LUST), it is not essential. Ordinary tyres will still go tubeless as long as you have a latex-based sealant in the tyre (that is essential).

Another essential item for going tubeless is a rapid inflator such as an "Airshot".

I have only ever come across one tyre that I could not go tubeless with and that was a superlight 24" tyre for my grandson's bike, I think it weighed about 450gm and maybe less, the sidewalls felt like tissue paper. I decided not to use it at all. That would have been about 9 years ago.

NightFox

Mar 16, 2024
UK
Thanks, I did think about trying this (I'm no stranger to tubeless as I've used Stans on my road bike for years, hence why I want to do the same here) but a quick bit of Googling showed many people asking about doing this with Smart Sams, but nobody seems to have got an answer or reported success. I've not had the tires off, but believe they could be wired which I've seen some people say makes 'unofficial' tubeless setups very vulnerable to catastrophic burping compared to folding tyres.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks, I did think about trying this (I'm no stranger to tubeless as I've used Stans on my road bike for years, hence why I want to do the same here) but a quick bit of Googling showed many people asking about doing this with Smart Sams, but nobody seems to have got an answer or reported success. I've not had the tires off, but believe they could be wired which I've seen some people say makes 'unofficial' tubeless setups very vulnerable to catastrophic burping compared to folding tyres.
Ah, you never mentioned wire bead tyres. I have zero experience of going tubeless wire bead tyres so I have no advice to offer. What you have read of the wire-bead-going-tubeless topic sounds feasible, but as I said I can't offer any experienced based advice.

Why not press ahead anyway and give us the benefit of your advice. The Forum leans forward expectantly... :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles