Trying to buy/build a hunting cargo emtb that can fly in checked luggage

Cancertable

Oct 21, 2021
Austin
I’m looking into buying/building a hunting emtb that could travel with me in checked luggage. It needs to be able to carry me (120lbs) my hunting/camping gear (20ish lbs with rifle/bow) and up to 200lbs of elk meat.
  • Packable (folding?), max weight 50lb.
  • Commercial airline acceptable.
  • Max. GVW 400 lbs.
  • 20 MPH.
  • Trail worthy and needs to climb and go down hills
  • 20mph would probably be the fastest I’d need to go.
  • Budget is flexible since I know the design is very constrained but hoping to be around the $3000 range.
  • At least 20mi or so.
  • Temp from 80F down to slightly below freezing.
  • I can pedal about 140 watts all day.
  • I was considering using a lightweight trailer for the meat
Was also considering a wheelbarrow and ebike separately for hunting/packing out meat. Also a gas motorized bike could be a better option if not for the noise issue.

I’d probably try to use a bunch of grin 100w batteries to get through tsa. This will probably get me a battery of about 1000wh if I can get 10 on the plane. Although I would need a plan b if tsa decides to screw me over.
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-pro ... eries.html

I was suggested to get a sturdy dual suspension MTB, one with massive shock travel intended for huge hucks on downhill runs but i will need to be sure if it will be light enough to be under 50lbs including case.

Is this even feasible? Any other solutions?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I think you're gonna need an electric moto bike fella.
With the awkward shape of rifles and the clothes I presume you're gonna need for hunting it'll be a bastad to pedal an emtb.
If yo did go emtb then this might be useful.....
Otherwise mabe talk to this fella for advice on carrying awkward things on e moto.....
Dunno about flying this stuff around, I thought with the volatility of the batteries it was a no-go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles