Suitable cargo trailer for an eMTB

Bob 57

May 5, 2022
Prospect South Australia
Hi there! I purchased my first eBike (Focus Thron2 6.8) and have been very happy with its performance. I took it on a bike - camping trip a couple of weeks ago up in the Flinders Ranges in South Australia and did not have a problem with it at all. Very happy!
i am now planning to travel interstate, between Adelaide and Melbourne / Geelong but looking at a range of suitable trailers for my eBike. I think my top choice, at this stage is the Burley COHO XC rear wheeled trailer which would suit me needs but just wondering whether anyone has used this trailer with an eBike?

regards Bob

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've been watching this trailer for a while re pricing. Amazon seem to be the only stockist now; $868 today :eek:

I'd make sure you can make an axle work first - this could be your other limiting factor!

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I'm using one with an e-bike. As long as you have a skewer axle it's no problem. You can get different lengths. Obviously wouldn't work with a rear hub motor.

Bob 57

May 5, 2022
Prospect South Australia
I've been watching this trailer for a while re pricing. Amazon seem to be the only stockist now; $868 today :eek:

I'd make sure you can make an axle work first - this could be your other limiting factor!
Thank you, I couldnt agree more. I contacted ‘Pushys’ and they believe that a ‘through axle’ with Burley Ballz would do the trick but I still need to confirm this. The orices have fluctuated quite a bit with some prices dropping around $650 as well. They are quite expensive though but hoping they might do the trick….thank you. Regards Bob

Bob 57

May 5, 2022
Prospect South Australia
I'm using one with an e-bike. As long as you have a skewer axle it's no problem. You can get different lengths. Obviously wouldn't work with a rear hub motor.
Thank you Barbara, that is reassuring and has motivated me to sort this out and do some interstate riding with my trailer. Thank hou for sharing with me, kind regards Bob

Bob 57

May 5, 2022
Prospect South Australia
Been out all weekend with a Burley trailer on the back of my Thron2 6.8 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks Andy, that has really made my mind up to get one and get onto some long distance/interstate riding. Obviously the drag will affect the battery range, so if you had to (i know this is difficult) describe how much of a percentage in range did you loose when fitted with the trailer, would you be able to describe that? Do you have any tips re set-up or issues I should be aware of? Thanks again, kind regards….Bob

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Sorry but I can’t justify any range alteration as it’s a very different ride when trailer is on. Not just due to the trailer, but due to its the “family“ outing, so also wife on her more road biased bike. I can power up all sorts of inclines though, which always gets peoples interest. My dog is 20ish kg, and can’t say it’s a big drag, but I notice when he’s moving about. I’m just using more gear changes, and occasionally shove it into EMTB, which I don’t often use.
I did have to alter the axle so that it fitted into the recess on the frame, only slightly but enough to allow it to work.

Bob 57

May 5, 2022
Prospect South Australia
Thanks Andy, greatly appreciated. I am now looking at a lit of sites for availability, i have found a couple of second hand trailers but its hard to assess their condition unless they ae in Adelaide somewhere. Thank you again…..regards Bob

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles