First time emtb - build vs buy

DrStrangePepper

Mar 29, 2021
Seattle
I'm looking for some general guidance as a new-ish emtber.

My friend has a Trek 5 and I want to keep up with him.

I'll do XC with some light trails, but no huge drops or crazy life-threatening stuff.

I've been digging into the Trek specs and discovered that the baseline Trek 5 isn't all that impressive and I would probably want to upgrade components. I also looked at the Powerfly, but the price around here (Seattle) is $6k for what is available. And I'm hearing that Trek is moving away from Powerfly as a FS ebike and only hardtail.

I'm a DIY person, so I'm thinking I might go the DIY route.

I saw the Cheeb video and it seems like something I could do - but a bit hesitant because I've never built a bike before.

I know I want full-suspension, and a 29er, and good air fork/shocks. I'm 6'1", so probably a Trek Large size or 19" frame.

I found DIY Carbon Bikes - Quality. Affordable. Carbon. and they have a Rail like frame for $1395 and a fully built bike for $4500 with the Bafang M600 and specs:
Frame: DCB F150-E Trek Rail Style Carbon Full Suspension E Bike Frameset 29er or 27.5+
Built Specs (these specs, but with Rail frame and M600): 29er DCB F130 Trek Fuel Style Carbon Complete Trail Mountain Bike Full Suspension

But they only have a 2-3 year warranty on the frames, Trek has lifetime.

I think my options are:
1. Buy the Trek 5, learn on it, use it, upgrade it when I outgrow it. Pros: Easy, Cons: Budget eBike parts.
2. Buy Trek 7 to get slightly better components from the get go. Pros: Better specs, Cons: Cost
3. Buy the E10/E11 and build my own Cheeb - Pros: Specs are better than than Trek 5: Con: I haven't built a bike before.
4. Buy the bike from DIY Carbon Bikes - Pros: Specs are good, but bad warranty.
5. Buy a full-suspension normal non-electric bike and add a motor to it (upgrade kit) - Pros, probably cheaper, but motor not integrated into frame.
6. Other options that you'd recommend?

I've also considered Specialized and Cannondale, but I haven't been able to find a comparable bike the Trek 5, price and component wise.

Any guidance would be appreicated.

Thanks!
DrStrangePepper

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I think my options are:
1. Buy the Trek 5, learn on it, use it, upgrade it when I outgrow it. Pros: Easy, Cons: Budget eBike parts.
2. Buy Trek 7 to get slightly better components from the get go. Pros: Better specs, Cons: Cost

I took the first option. Afterwards the Rail 7 would had been better it as has "good enough" components. I've now upgraded the Rail 5 over Rail 9 spec kinda. The Rail 5 weaknesses for me were the bit soft wheels with pinned rim joint and the Gold 35 RL front suspension.

I would put few thoughts also on resell value on DIY vs. brandbike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles