Trek Suspension Calculator - How Accurate ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've never found any of those wanky charts etc to be even close - but I seem to be incredibly light on suspension. Even similar sized people I ride with use much more pressure etc. It might be a good starting point? Do you know how to set your sag? 30% seems a good ball park figure then go from there. I suppose they all err on the side of higher pressure for good reason. If it's a new bike, I'd have a go at setting it up for sag etc. Then on your first ride, take your shock pump along so that you can adjust and take note of the pressures; eg, if forks are too hard, try dropping 5psi. If shock is too hard try dropping 10 (5 if you think it's close). Be guided by the o rings on the fork and shock - see how much travel you're using on what you'd typically ride. If you have 5 or 10% left unused that is OK, unless you've had some big hits and it hasn't bottomed. You want it to bottom, or come close to bottoming on a big hit. So if you have an average ride with some suspension left over (5 or 10%) that is a reasonable buffer for the odd occasion you hit hard.

Last edited:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
For my Fuel an Rail I found it to be pretty accurate. At least the psi.
I changed my Fuel for a Alu Slash 8 and the base settings from the calculator seems more off than on the otherbikes for some reason

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles