Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail 9 GX Suspension Setup

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Hey Everyone!

I bought my wife a Gen 2 Trek Rail 9, she's very new to mountain biking, been out on it a couple of times, but I think the setup too harsh for her. Currently running 64psi, 5 clicks from open on compression and can't remember the rebound, think 5 clicks from closed. She weighs 70kg fully kitted and obviously no big hits or anything.

Any advice is more than welcome!

darvd29

Dec 17, 2022
Poland
For a beginner, I'd go full open compression, especially if it feels harsh.

Try lower pressure too, 55, maybe 50 psi - I bet she doesn't ever use the whole travel (not that she has to, but it’s meant to show that there’s space to try lower pressure). I wouldn’t worry too much about sag on ebike as long as it’s not over 40% static. Experienced riders prefer to ride higher in travel, but newbies often enjoy the plushiness of low pressure. Also remove tokens if she never reaches deep compression.

Rebound also sounds too slow for that psi, I'd speed it up to at least 8-9 clicks from slow (or 10-11 if you decide to lower the pressure further).

Don't be afraid to experiment & listen to how she feels about the ride, once again - what works for an experienced rider most probably won't work for a newbie :)

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
You have possibly already done this but start with the appropriate sag for the full suspension bike. Both fork and shock. A high pressure psi pump is needed to set the correct sag for weight and terrain (20-40%)..cycle the compression before, during and after you add or reduce psi.

After that there are several other adjustments that can be tuned for different riding styles or different terrain.
There are other good suggestions on here for good, or almost perfect suspension setups.

Great bike btw.👍🏻

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Nice bike! Remove tokens and try 55psi, if it's comfortable, she likes it, and it doesn't bottom out then it's right.

Trailhead says 60psi for non-eMTB but many here (including me) use less than what Trailhead recommends.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Thanks everyone, will drop to 55psi and remove the tokens. She’s using half the travel currently so definitely needs adjustment!

On the rear, should I just use Trek recommendations?

darvd29

Dec 17, 2022
Poland
Thanks everyone, will drop to 55psi and remove the tokens. She’s using half the travel currently so definitely needs adjustment!

On the rear, should I just use Trek recommendations?
In setting terms, rear works similarly to the front - start with the recommendations and if you find out she's using half the travel or that it feels harsh then try the same adjustments, remove tokens, open compression, lower pressure, faster rebound :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles