Trek Rail with Fox DHX2 coil

magic82

Nov 18, 2020
italy
Hi guys, i have a doubt i bought a DHX2 230x57.5 shock with 500lbs of the spring. My total weight is 85kg and i changed the spring to 550lbs but i'm not sure that it is enough to avoid bottom out. I used the FOX spring calculator to choose the rate spring.The SAG is about 27%, can you help me? i' m open to receive your suggestions
Many thanks

Railingit187

Feb 8, 2021
USA
I put a progressive DVO spring on my dhx2 with a rate of 525-650. It works really well.

Hi guys, i have a doubt i bought a DHX2 230x57.5 shock with 500lbs of the spring. My total weight is 85kg and i changed the spring to 550lbs but i'm not sure that it is enough to avoid bottom out. I used the FOX spring calculator to choose the rate spring.The SAG is about 27%, can you help me? i' m open to receive your suggestions
Many thanks

Outlate

Apr 25, 2021
SoCal
I was definitely looking for a 2021but hoping 65mm would fit. I guess i'll stick with my 230x65 DPX2 for now. Thanks for the info
Hey BiGJZ74
What year dpx2 230 x 65 are you running on your large rail 7? I'm looking for one to put on my Large Rail 9.7 and read in previous posts that the 2021 is smaller than previous years, but I didn't see (or may have missed) anyone confirming if 2019 or 2020 dpx2's would or wouldn't fit.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Hey BiGJZ74
What year dpx2 230 x 65 are you running on your large rail 7? I'm looking for one to put on my Large Rail 9.7 and read in previous posts that the 2021 is smaller than previous years, but I didn't see (or may have missed) anyone confirming if 2019 or 2020 dpx2's would or wouldn't fit.
I had a 2019 DPX2 230x65 on my Raiil 7. Currently have a 2021 DHX2 coil installed. 2020 DHX2 does not fit with extended strokes

Outlate

Apr 25, 2021
SoCal
I had a 2019 DPX2 230x65 on my Raiil 7. Currently have a 2021 DHX2 coil installed. 2020 DHX2 does not fit with extended strokes
I just put a 2020 DPX2 230 x 65 on my Large Rail 9.7 and at full compression (with no air obviously) the linkage hits the seat tube.
Did you have that issue? Did you have a spacer installed? If so, what size? Also, the plastic spacers off the stock RS seem to be a tad too big for the dpx2. What did you use instead? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I just put a 2020 DPX2 230 x 65 on my Large Rail 9.7 and at full compression (with no air obviously) the rear of the frame hit the downtube.
Did you have that issue? Did you have a spacer installed? If so, what size? Thanks for the help.
Sorry only works with a 2021 DHX2. 2020 Reservoir is too long.

Outlate

Apr 25, 2021
SoCal
Sorry only works with a 2021 DHX2. 2020 Reservoir is too long.
Yeah, I read that regarding the DHX2, but I have a DPX2. The reservoir has plenty of room... it's the linkage/seat tube. Oh and I'm new to this stuff so I apologize if I use incorrect terminology.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Yeah, I read that regarding the DHX2, but I have a DPX2. The reservoir has plenty of room... it's the linkage/seat tube. Oh and I'm new to this stuff so I apologize if I use incorrect terminology.
I used a 2019 DPX2 and didn’t have any contact on a large frame in high position. I also have an aluminum 7....I don’t know what fits on the carbon frames

Outlate

Apr 25, 2021
SoCal
I have just tried to fit the dpx2 with the original bushings of the rockshox deluxe and the black bushings were almost 2 mm out of the central pin, which prevented the shock from entering. If I remove the spacer that is in the frame I think it is the right size, but can I leave without the spacers that are in the frame?
Im having the same problem. What did you wind up using/ording to make it fit?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sorry, I don't know what the maximum travel would be. I'm running a 60mm stroke and 62.5 would be fine for sure. I'm not sure about 65mm and it would cost me £25 to find out so I'm no rush to do so. I'd be more concerned with the seat stay bridge hitting the seat tube than the reservoir hitting the frame with a DVO or Ohlins shock and the MinoLink in low. I'm running it in the High position because of the 27.5 wheel.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Oh yes it is...

...depending on model. The Rail 7 is conventional.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Sorry, I don't know what the maximum travel would be. I'm running a 60mm stroke and 62.5 would be fine for sure. I'm not sure about 65mm and it would cost me £25 to find out so I'm no rush to do so. I'd be more concerned with the seat stay bridge hitting the seat tube than the reservoir hitting the frame with a DVO or Ohlins shock and the MinoLink in low. I'm running it in the High position because of the 27.5 wheel.

Thanks Doom

Its that with offset bushings or as it comes? Maybe if one is happy with the resulting bb height can use the low setting for fit longer shock, leaving aside the other problem of the reservoir. A 170/170 64.5 will be 350 bb height so if you go mullet 170/170 63.5 330 bb height ... man you get almost the gen2 in advance ... those are mental calculations don’t know if it’s possible and then if they are the accurate numbers.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Stock bushings. 170mm Yari with 2021 air shaft so the front is probably 20mm higher than stock.

Phantomx0_1

Feb 22, 2021
Berkshire
Curious to know how people are find the coils over the stock shocks. I have the rail 9 and I find the ride of the rear pretty harsh and wondering if a coil will smooth put the ride

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
Curious to know how people are find the coils over the stock shocks. I have the rail 9 and I find the ride of the rear pretty harsh and wondering if a coil will smooth put the ride
Rail 9 too, although I’ve done quite a few changes. I run an Ohlins ttx rear coil from TF Tuned. They will also sell you hardware required to swap out Trunnion mounted shock on the 9. Massive difference riding. So much so that I ended up doing a Smashpot coil conversion on fork to balance out the ride. Really forgiving/plush. No more aching hands. Grips like glue in corners and gives loads of confidence in drops and jumps.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
The Stock RS Deluxe Select+ shock due to it's lack of tunability is a POS compared to the 21 Fox Factory DHX2. DHX2 of course feels more supple , traction is improved, and w/ my set up, since i'm running a longer stroke, the end stroke feels more progressive in the area of extended travel.

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland

I've been riding my Rail 7 with the stock RS Deluxe for over a year. Just like you I found that the rear felt pretty harsh und sat pretty low in its travel on repeated bumps (neither faster rebound nor more air pressure really helped). Just installed a DVO Jade X yesterday. Todays first ride gave me a first impression: The rear feels much more composed, smoother and planted. So far I'm very happy!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I can't comment on the Rail 9 as I have a 7.
I've been riding my JadeX for a few months now & though I initially found the pedal bob annoying and wondered if a X2 would have been a better option for me, I am used to it now so it doesn't bother me.
I found the traction on the rear incredible & braking so much more effective (& more unnecessary) than with the stock deluxe select. Small bump compliance is great but the drawback with that is the pedal bob while climbing. It just sticks to the ground. The net result is faster more controlled riding.
I don't really think about my rear shock any more which is a good thing - it just does its' job.
I think your rear shock may be a reasonably good one though so maybe a proper service might just be in order?
See if you can have a ride on a coil before commiting though as you may not like it. I prob wouldn't have got one if I'd tried one first, I prob would have stuck with an air shock but am Ok with my decision now.

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
I've been riding my JadeX for a few months now & though I initially found the pedal bob annoying and wondered if a X2 would have been a better option for me, I am used to it now so it doesn't bother me.
I found the traction on the rear incredible & braking so much more effective (& more unnecessary) than with the stock deluxe select. Small bump compliance is great but the drawback with that is the pedal bob while climbing. It just sticks to the ground. The net result is faster more controlled riding.

You're right about pedal bob. I'd like to add that the RS Deluxe also had noticable pedal bob (even in firm mode it was bobbing a bit). Maybe the Deluxe+ is better in that regard?
The Jade X in open mode bobs quite a lot while pedaling, although while climbing on single track I don't mind since the traction is amazing.
On smoother terrain I put in in trail mode, which reduces the bobbing a little but still offers lots of traction.
The firm mode is pretty much a lock out I only use on tarmac. I don't notice any bobbing and because the shock is sagging less, the seat angle becomes steeper. Helpful on long climbs on tarmac I suspect and does feel very efficient.

I agree with the advice of testing a coil shock before buying it if possible. Even though I didn't follow it myself and just ordered the Jade X :D.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Depends how fast you are, and how big you want to go on your bike. If you're just a trail rider & out having fun, then you will probably get away with it, with a progressive rate spring.

If you're a fastish racer, ride hard, etc then IMO it's not a progressive enough design for a coil shock, even a coil with a hydraulic bottom out. I have tried a few coils & am running an air shock again - it rides better with air & is considerably more supportive the deeper in the travel you go & the faster you go.

In terms of feel, the 'best' shock ive used on this bike is the '21 Float X2. They have had a few reliability issues however. Have seen a few leaking air & getting cavitated more easily than I would expect, which would be annoying.

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
I agree with Hobnob. I’m a reasonably fastish rider and my tuned DPX2 at my 85kg weight is exceptional. No need to drop 500 notes on a coil.
However, the smashpot coil conversion on my Lyrik RC2 is the absolute dogs bollocks and rides loads better than my mates top of the range Fox 36, despite endless setting fettling. Much better place to spunk your cash!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I agree with Hobnob. I’m a reasonably fastish rider and my tuned DPX2 at my 85kg weight is exceptional. No need to drop 500 notes on a coil.
However, the smashpot coil conversion on my Lyrik RC2 is the absolute dogs bollocks and rides loads better than my mates top of the range Fox 36, despite endless setting fettling. Much better place to spunk your cash!
Yes except that the JadeX was cheaper than a new X2 (if I could find one anywhere).

marl1337

May 30, 2021
Austria
Hi guys!

I want to change the shock of my Trek Rail 9.8 in large. Please can someone advice which parts (mounting kits) I need if I want to change to a Fox DHX2 from 2020 (230x30). Maybe including the part number and/or a link to the parts.
Thank you very much for your support!

Cheers,
Marl

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Got finally the mounting hw for my coil shock. Two alternatives to install DHX2, either use 10 x 40 and 10 x 54 Fox mounting kits or press 12,7mm du bushings and use the stock shocks mounting hw. Both will work. View attachment 24335
I have a 2021 trek rail 9.8 xt that Im building up XTR and raceface next 31's I want the coil over but have never used one on an e bike is it worthy? or is it set up once and not really adjustable? thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles