Trek Rail with Fox DHX2 coil

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Please advise what is the strongest spring I can put on fox dhx2?
My weight is 286 pounds (130kg) and I am using Trek Rail for trails and some enduro. I bought bontrager rims carbon line pro 40, the bike is stable but my fox dpx2 air is on limit.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Please advise what is the strongest spring I can put on fox dhx2?
My weight is 286 pounds (130kg) and I am using Trek Rail for trails and some enduro. I bought bontrager rims carbon line pro 40, the bike is stable but my fox dpx2 air is on limit.
700lbs. Depending on the Stroke of your rear shock, you can use 700x61mm with standard stroke, or 700x67mm if extended. I’d buy quick as I’m finding them instock when I google them….they were out of stock just about everywhere a few months ago.

Last edited:

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
@BiGJZ74 Thank you very much. I will buy it quick. So if I stay on rear shock size 230x60 (not 57), I should have to buy the spring 700x61 but not 700x67, is this ok? Could you attach the link to shop with that spring? The version has to be SLS or could be standard (if I cant find them on shop)?

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I bought fox stroke 700. But I have question about the shock. Is it better fox dhx or dhx2? Ues, O know price and controls count, but... I think that I prefer reliability (dhx has one flow only) and I think that high speed control is not needed for my weight and 700lbs spring or no? The dhx has same metal body as dhx2, both 2022 year, hasnt?
And good detail can be the size - for trek rail is maybe dhx better sized for bottle, that every us need. (Yes, I have camel bag too, but I dont want do cleaning)

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
The 61mm on a 60mm stroke shock would only give you 1mm of preload before binding. I would go 67mm to be on the safe side. I run 65mm stroke with 67mm 700lb spring. www.tftuned.com has them in stock since I don’t think ur in USA. Just google fox 700lb spring and a bunch should show up
Big, question AGAIN my rear shock drops on the 23rd Im in a bit of a pinch on time how long will it take to throw this is and dial?? I think i got the correct bushings from the UK I ordered what you told me to. I think. been a while.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
So check this out, ordered a 2022 fox DH2 from BIKE INN it was 990.00 USD and had to pay another 60 USD for tax coming into states, And after asking over and over that they include a 700lb spring. They never answered even once and when it finally showed up last night its beautiful but NO COIL. BIKE INN sucks. Just know that

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Fox never include a spring. Bike Inn are just box shifters so don’t know their arse from their elbow most of the time.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Fox never include a spring. Bike Inn are just box shifters so don’t know their arse from their elbow most of the time.
It was only place Icould find it in exact size I needed the non spring thing is lame. But its on its way and hopefully ill have time to install it and the front fork. This is the fork i settled on Fox Racing 36 Float Factory GRIP2 Fork - 29" 160mm,15x110 hopefully i dont screw up the entire suspension Got bushing from UK as listed here on forum to install rear fox. So it will all be in dream build video without the romantic music i assure you.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
We at Offset Bushings can produce standard shock bushings for you if you'd like to upgrade from the thru shaft to a standard shock! Hit us up if you have any questions :). They're £28.80 (including VAT in the EU, £24 outside of EU) + postage.
I did And Im about to put the new coilover in, really wish I knew the method to install these random little sleeves and bushings

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Ok after reading carbon frames vs. ally frames Im wondering if the fox shock I have with the @offsetbushing kit I got is even going to work. Do I have the right shock and bushing setup for my frame? the top look drastically different on rockshox compared to fox.
IMG_1355.jpg
IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1354.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Ok after reading carbon frames vs. ally frames Im wondering if the fox shock I have with the @offsetbushing kit I got is even going to work. Do I have the right shock and bushing setup for my frame? the top look drastically different on rockshox compared to fox. View attachment 65305 View attachment 65306 View attachment 65307 View attachment 65308 View attachment 65309 View attachment 65310

View attachment 65312
To use The Offsetbushing hardware you have to remove the Fox white IGUS Bushings and insert the black DU bushings from the kit. then press the 54mm long piece thru the top bushing and then the sleeves over each end....repeat for lower. The hardware from thelostco.com shop I sent u the link for was Fox specific so it would use the White IGUS bushings that are factory installed....plus their sleeves are black which will look a bit better

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
To use The Offsetbushing hardware you have to remove the Fox white IGUS Bushings and insert the black DU bushings from the kit. then press the 54mm long piece thru the top bushing and then the sleeves over each end....repeat for lower. The hardware from thelostco.com shop I sent u the link for was Fox specific so it would use the White IGUS bushings that are factory installed....plus their sleeves are black which will look a bit better
Im still waiting for that hardware to land, Hopefully it makes more sense when I can see it in hand.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
We at Offset Bushings can produce standard shock bushings for you if you'd like to upgrade from the thru shaft to a standard shock! Hit us up if you have any questions :). They're £28.80 (including VAT in the EU, £24 outside of EU) + postage.
AGAIN< I ordered a set from you, and I would love to know what it should look like when assembled 21 trek rail 9.8 carbon frame and a 22 fox DHX2 coilover.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Ok even though I Should be running the trunion mount version I used mounting bolts from Trel and the hardware from Uk offset( after filing them down a lot, and got it to go . And the ride difference is what I hoped it would be. I was expecting nothing to be honest but with a 550lb Fox spring its perfect. I weight 230lbs Im going to do a walk around video of bike tomorrow Ill post the link up when its done.
the $$ tag on this entire build hit 16K just for reference. ya gotta love those chips in the paint already bike has about 90 miles on it and 2 goodly crashes.
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1402.jpg

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Ok even though I Should be running the trunion mount version I used mounting bolts from Trel and the hardware from Uk offset( after filing them down a lot, and got it to go . And the ride difference is what I hoped it would be. I was expecting nothing to be honest but with a 550lb Fox spring its perfect. I weight 230lbs Im going to do a walk around video of bike tomorrow Ill post the link up when its done.
the $$ tag on this entire build hit 16K just for reference. ya gotta love those chips in the paint already bike has about 90 miles on it and 2 goodly crashes. View attachment 65761 View attachment 65762
So u had to file down the silver sleeves because u used the IGUS bushing instead of the DU bushings from the offset kit. Looks great!

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Or I have the tools to remove the Igus Bushings and install the DU bushings to make the offset hardware fit properly
or theres that, But i filed down offset bushings they werent right size meaning I will be replacing the hardware with better hardware. Ill send you a close up pic

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles