Rail (750Wh) Trek Rail 9.8 2022 Rear Hub changed - after 300 miles!!!

Bran70

Mar 1, 2023
Uk
Trek serviced my bike today with its first minor service. On collection they said they had replaced the rear hub bearing as a good will gesture which is great but come on 300 miles??? This has got to be some sort of record or is it just the usual of story of bikes leaving the factory with next to no grease in the bike? By the way I hadn’t noticed anything wrong with the back end while out riding.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
theres a bit of a reputation around the rear axle bearings used on the rails, my 2022 Rail5 had rear looseness after ~30 miles so I stripped / cleaned / greased / reset preload (y)
about 150 miles later I felt that dreadded wobble again🤨

so I replaced the wheels (Nukeproof Nutron c/o Wiggle🙃) but have the origonals as spares....

in my opinion, the type of rear bearing needs regular attention but people seem to think there hundreds if not thousands of miles between service intervals:unsure:

an observation on different manufacturers bearings, my Mrs has an Orbea Rise and its rear suspension bearings are sooon to be replaced - after ~200 miles (I've not checked my Rail yet🤭)

we both have gen3 Nukeproof Mega's and hers had a strip & clean @ 60 miles and the rear linkage bearings were 'tight'🤨

I've decided on removing the oilseals from the bearings and packing with grease as part of a service, bit more involved but hopefully lengthening consumables lifespans🤞

Rich.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles