Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail - Rear Wheel Hub Bearings Replacement

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Has anyone had experience replacing the hub bearings on the wheelsets for a Trek Rail? My wheels are Bontrager Elite 30, the hubs are not marked as far as I can see. I noticed a loose feeling in the rear wheel whilst out riding today, almost like the 'knock' you get with a loose headset. The Maxle was torqued up but the wheel also felt a little rough and noisy when freewheeling. I suspected worn bearings.
Sure enough, when I got home and stripped off the end caps the axle bearings on the non-drive side are worn and have some play in them (quite dirty too!). I was a bit surprised as it's not a high mileage bike, I normally ride a hardtail except when the weather is crap. The Rail has been out for quite a few gnarly rides this month though. The bearings are branded Xero, no idea if they are any good or what mileage is to be expected of them?
Since I dont have any bearing pullers at home I was going to get my LBS to sort this one out, unless its a regular maintenance requirement for ebikes, in which case I may invest in a set! Any tips? Replace both sides together I presume, not just the worn side?

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
Didn’t have much to say until today, but now yes, I just had all my bearings replaced in my rear hub and freehub on my Bontrager Line Comp 30. That’s 4 bearings and that’s after 3600 km. I didn’t think it was that many km but the mech. said for the way i ride it’s a good number. One hub bearing was seized, one freehub bearing was pitted, two other were ok but changed all anyway. Cost was $175cdn, pretty cheap i think. I could have replaced the wheel with a new one but for what it cost me to fix it i didn’t feel the need to spend more yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles