Trek Rail 9.8

Davejm63

Apr 11, 2021
New Forest
I have a 9.8 on order with SRAM GX in radioactive orange.
Looking at the Trek website they no longer offer this spec and colour.
I have found a 9.8 XT in my size at another distributor with longer lead time (already at 84 days for my original order, from the agreed 70 days)
Do I keep original order or switch to XT with potential longer lead time ?

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
In my opinion the XT shifting is 5 to 10 years ahead of SRAM. I have three bikes. Two with X01 SRAM and one with XT. After experiencing the XT difference I'll never go back to SRAM shifting. XT is bulletproof. Never miss a shift no matter whether you're under load or pulling out of a slow corner.

The Guide ultimate brakes have more adjustability than the XT's and better feel to me but the XT's have plenty stopping power.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
I have a 9.8 on order with SRAM GX in radioactive orange.
Looking at the Trek website they no longer offer this spec and colour.
I have found a 9.8 XT in my size at another distributor with longer lead time (already at 84 days for my original order, from the agreed 70 days)
Do I keep original order or switch to XT with potential longer lead time ?
Something's not right here, Trek never offered a 9.8 with SRAM in orange for 2021. They do a Rail 9 with SRAM GX in orange but that's a alloy frame, the 9.8xt is carbon & much more expensive ?

Edit.
I see they do a 9.8 gx as a 'project one' custom paint option that's more expensive than the 9.8xt. I'm sure you'll be fine with either bike. Whichever you can get soonest. If drivetrain shifting is a consern it won't be long before your cassette & chain are destroyed then switch to Shimano just need a new freehub

Last edited:

Davejm63

Apr 11, 2021
New Forest
Something's not right here, Trek never offered a 9.8 with SRAM in orange for 2021. They do a Rail 9 with SRAM GX in orange but that's a alloy frame, the 9.8xt is carbon & much more expensive ?

Edit.
I see they do a 9.8 gx as a 'project one' custom paint option that's more expensive than the 9.8xt. I'm sure you'll be fine with either bike. Whichever you can get soonest. If drivetrain shifting is a consern it won't be long before your cassette & chain are destroyed then switch to Shimano just need a new freehub

Davejm63

Apr 11, 2021
New Forest
Thanks for the info
I have a 10% deposit on the P1
I will run SRAM for now and consider switch to shimano when cassette needs changing

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks for the info
I have a 10% deposit on the P1
I will run SRAM for now and consider switch to shimano when cassette needs changing
I’ve got the rail 9 on sram gx I would have preferred shimano . The sram has been perfect so far but I know it can be a pain when it’s part worn . Changing to shimano isn’t so simple you’ll need a different free hub as well as the complete gear system . Iam not sure if the sram cassette will run with shimano , or vice versa they always used to be ok on 10 and 11 speed . 12 speed is so much more expensive than the old 11 speed and nothing is easy to get hold of currently

Davejm63

Apr 11, 2021
New Forest
I’ve got the rail 9 on sram gx I would have preferred shimano . The sram has been perfect so far but I know it can be a pain when it’s part worn . Changing to shimano isn’t so simple you’ll need a different free hub as well as the complete gear system . Iam not sure if the sram cassette will run with shimano , or vice versa they always used to be ok on 10 and 11 speed . 12 speed is so much more expensive than the old 11 speed and nothing is easy to get hold of currently
[/QUOT

Davejm63

Apr 11, 2021
New Forest
Update
The bike arrived on Friday. Although 9.8 ordered it came with XT
Loving the bike so far 3 rides in nothing but smiles and uphill flow to go with great riding.
XT drivechain is great and loving the SLX brakes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles