Trek Fuel EXe - eXTender++ Mod (260Wh battery project)

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
After successfully finishing the eXTernal Mod design, I have started work on an external 260Wh battery, and further down the line maybe an external 160Wh battery.

This battery will be built in house and will be as light weight, compact and as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while not sacrificing on safety and durability. It will improve on the TQ Range Extender in Wh/gramms (or Wh/lbs)

It will still need a TQ battery of some sort to be connected.

I'm early days into the project, I'm waiting for a smart BMS to arrive, the cells, and some other parts, but I thought I would share the journey with you all.

The first image is of a mock up of the internals to fine tune the shape of the pack.

image_2023-04-28_091208050.png

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Is there any chance of disassembling an Ego battery and reassembling it in a more aesthetically pleasing and better bike fitting shell? Have you considered this?

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
Is there any chance of disassembling an Ego battery and reassembling it in a more aesthetically pleasing and better bike fitting shell? Have you considered this?
The cells in the Ego battery are Samsung 25r, they are actually better suited for high amperage (25A) uses rather than capacity (2500mAh). We really only need a few amps but maximum capacity.

I think it would take more time and effort to cut the tabs off of the cells and rearrange eveything than just get new cells.

The cells I'm looking at are Samsung 50E (5000mAh, 10A). It would be matched with a smart BMS so that we can see the individual cell levels, which is an upgrade over the Ego battery.

Beto Terceiro

Jul 19, 2023
Brasil
After successfully finishing the eXTernal Mod design, I have started work on an external 260Wh battery, and further down the line maybe an external 160Wh battery.

This battery will be built in house and will be as light weight, compact and as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while not sacrificing on safety and durability. It will improve on the TQ Range Extender in Wh/gramms (or Wh/lbs)

It will still need a TQ battery of some sort to be connected.

I'm early days into the project, I'm waiting for a smart BMS to arrive, the cells, and some other parts, but I thought I would share the journey with you all.

The first image is of a mock up of the internals to fine tune the shape of the pack.

View attachment 112940
How is the project progressing? I would love to buy one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles