eXTender Mod for Fuel EXe (Ego battery adapter, previously named eXTernal Mod)

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
The eXTender Mod is a robust, weather resistant and easy to use adapter that allows us to connect an off the shelf Ego 56v battery to our Fuel EXe. It can extend the range between 30-35%.

$249 NZD (inc. GST and shipping). Approx $130 USD excluding tax
$40 NZD / $25 USD international shipping

It extends the range of our TQ Fuel EXe by 30-35% using a 2.5Ah (140Wh) battery. It is completely removable and requires no modifications, bolting to the drinks bottle holder and plugging into the charging port. The bike learns that the Ego battery is connected and the percentage reports fairly accurately.

The whole system is available now at around 50% the price of the TQ extended battery option (including if you need to buy an Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger). If you have a near new Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger already this will be an even cheaper solution. Shipping now with a 1 week lead time.

History of the Ego 56v batteries:
These have been used in eBike applications for many years and I have personally used them for 4 years in another PEV application (If you search for Ego eBike you will find many examples).

They are extremely durable, water resistant, use Samsung cells and have their own battery management system. They are the correct voltage to match with the TQ Fuel EXe system (14s, or 50.4v nominal).

Ego batteries are readily available at many hardware shops and are backed by a 3 year warranty in most cases.

eXTender Mod design and manufacture:
This is a 3d printed adapter plate, Ego adapter and plug that have been designed specifically for the Fuel EXe. The design wraps around the frame and is made of a combination of materials for extreme durability. It has held up to all tests (hundred of KM, bike trails, jumps and static tests) and I believe it to be stronger mounting system than the TQ extended battery option. Once I have brushed my knee against it when falling forward, but otherwise you don't normally get close to it as there is plenty of clearance when you peddle.

eXTender Mod use:
REQUIREMENT: Both bike and Ego battery must be fully charged before connecting together. There are multiple fail safe systems to protect both Ego battery and the TQ system (inbuilt to all 3 systems), but connecting them at different charge states should never be attempted.

How to use:
1. Charge both Ego battery and bike to full (separately)
2. Unplug the eXTender from the bike charge port (recommended)
3. Slide the Ego battery onto the eXTender Mod (it self locks into place)
4. Turn on the bike
5. Plug the eXTender into the charge port
6. Ride immediately (recommended)

The whole process takes around 10 seconds. Installing the system the first time takes around 20 minutes.

There are many reasons why the above procedure should be followed. More details will follow.....

eXTender Mod results:
I ride with another Fuel EXe rider who has 1kg weight difference to me and we generally ride at the same speed. Typically I end up having around 1 hour extra of riding time or 30-35% additional battery according to the TQ percentage. In other tests I have ridden the same 36km flat loop and ended on 4% battery without the eXTender Mod and 34% with it (using an Ego 2.5Ah battery).

eXTender Mod limitations:
Currently testing has only been done with an Ego 2.5Ah (140Wh) battery. Other Ego batteries are compatible but cannot fit on the 9.7 and above due to the piggback reservoir. The EXe 9.5 may allow for an Ego 5.0Ah battery but this hasn't been tested. The eXTender Mod also cannot be used on it's own, it needs the main TQ battery to be connected.

There are a number of other advantages and disadvantages compared to the TQ extended battery option which I will disclose in future posts, including more photos and details.

Please ask any questions you have.

Untitled.jpg PXL_20230131_133243014 (1).jpg PXL_20230120_185438155.jpg PXL_20230129_072219180.jpg PXL_20230211_144633142.jpg PXL_20230211_144645193 (1).jpg

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The main benefit for me was being able to fly with the EXE and just take the extender. The fact that the bike cannot be ridden on the ego alone is a killer for me.

I like your ideas though, if only the ego battery wasn't so dam bulky and large

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
The main benefit for me was being able to fly with the EXE and just take the extender. The fact that the bike cannot be ridden on the ego alone is a killer for me.

Yeah this is one of the main disadvantages for sure. It is a bit more bulky, the system will be 1.6kg vs 1kg.
I haven't looked into where it would mount, but the Ego might work with the TQ extender to have a 300Wh flyable solution...

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Sorry, but no. Imo it looks like a trek fuel exe electric tool. Hurts the eye much more than the extra energy thats pumped out of the legs without having this battery.

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
Sorry, but no. Imo it looks like a trek fuel exe electric tool. Hurts the eye much more than the extra energy thats pumped out of the legs without having this battery.
That's cool, each to their own. I'd rather an extra couple of runs but I understand if aesthetics are important to you, this isn't as good looking as the TQ system for sure.

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
The eXTender Mod is a robust, weather resistant and easy to use adapter that allows us to connect an off the shelf Ego 56v battery to our Fuel EXe.

It extends the range of our TQ Fuel EXe by 30-35% using a 2.5Ah (140Wh) battery. It is completely removable and requires no modifications, bolting to the drinks bottle holder and plugging into the charging port. The bike learns that the Ego battery is connected and the percentage reports fairly accurately.

The whole system is around HALF of the price of the TQ extended battery option (including if you need to buy an Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger). If you have a near new Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger already this will be an even cheaper solution. It will soon be up for pre-order, with shipping starting in March.

These have been used in eBike applications for many years and I have personally used them for 4 years in another PEV application (If you search for Ego eBike you will find many examples).

They are extremely durable, water resistant, use Samsung cells and have their own battery management system. They are the correct voltage to match with the TQ Fuel EXe system (14s, or 50.4v nominal).

Ego batteries are readily available at many hardware shops and are backed by a 3 year warranty in most cases.

This is a 3d printed adapter plate, Ego adapter and plug that have been designed and customised specifically for the Fuel EXe. The design wraps around the frame and is made of a combination of materials for extreme durability. It has held up to all tests (hundred of KM, bike trails, jumps and static tests) and I believe it to be stronger mounting system than the TQ extended battery option. Once I have brushed my knee against it when falling forward, but otherwise you don't normally get close to it as there is plenty of clearance when you peddle.

eXTender Mod use:
REQUIREMENT: Both bike and Ego battery must be fully charged before connecting together. There are multiple fail safe systems to protect both Ego battery and the TQ system (inbuilt to all 3 systems), but connecting them at different charge states should never be attempted.

How to use:
4. Turn on the bike

The whole process takes around 10 seconds. Installing the system the first time takes around 30 minutes.

There are many reasons why the above procedure should be followed. More details will follow.....

eXTender Mod results:
I ride with another Fuel EXe rider who has 1kg weight difference to me and we generally ride at the same speed. Typically I end up having around 1 hour extra of riding time or 30-35% additional battery according to the TQ percentage. In other tests I have ridden the same 36km flat loop and ended on 4% battery without the eXTender Mod and 34% with it (using an Ego 2.5Ah battery).

Currently testing has only been done with an Ego 2.5Ah (140Wh) battery. Other Ego batteries are compatible but cannot fit on the 9.7 and above due to the piggback reservoir. The EXe 9.5 may allow for an Ego 5.0Ah battery but this hasn't been tested. The eXTender Mod also cannot be used on it's own, it need the main battery to be connected.

There are a number of other advantages and disadvantages compared to the TQ extended battery option, including being a little heavier, which I will disclose in future posts, including more photos and details.

View attachment 106328 View attachment 106329 View attachment 106330 View attachment 106331 View attachment 106658 View attachment 106659
Hi
Is this something you are selling? I am in Auckland and buying another battery or range extender is very expensive and hard to find. It would be great to have when you decide to do a long ride.

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
Hi
Is this something you are selling? I am in Auckland and buying another battery or range extender is very expensive and hard to find. It would be great to have when you decide to do a long ride.
Yes I'll be selling it soon, I've been caught up with my regular job. I'll message you soon!

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
Could something like the extender for Orbea rise be used?
Possibly, but it would need to be adapted for another battery as the Orbea Rise uses a 42v system (battery fully charged) rather than a 58v system.

It would likely need a full redesign, that's if the bike even accepts an external battery.

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
The eXTender Mod is a robust, weather resistant and easy to use adapter that allows us to connect an off the shelf Ego 56v battery to our Fuel EXe. It can extend the range between 30-35%.

The whole system is available now at around 50% the price of the TQ extended battery option (including if you need to buy an Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger). If you have a near new Ego 2.5Ah battery and charger already this will be an even cheaper solution. Shipping now with a 1 week lead time.

This is a 3d printed adapter plate, Ego adapter and plug that have been designed specifically for the Fuel EXe. The design wraps around the frame and is made of a combination of materials for extreme durability. It has held up to all tests (hundred of KM, bike trails, jumps and static tests) and I believe it to be stronger mounting system than the TQ extended battery option. Once I have brushed my knee against it when falling forward, but otherwise you don't normally get close to it as there is plenty of clearance when you peddle.

eXTender Mod use:

How to use:
4. Turn on the bike

The whole process takes around 10 seconds. Installing the system the first time takes around 20 minutes.

eXTender Mod results:

Currently testing has only been done with an Ego 2.5Ah (140Wh) battery. Other Ego batteries are compatible but cannot fit on the 9.7 and above due to the piggback reservoir. The EXe 9.5 may allow for an Ego 5.0Ah battery but this hasn't been tested. The eXTender Mod also cannot be used on it's own, it needs the main TQ battery to be connected.

There are a number of other advantages and disadvantages compared to the TQ extended battery option which I will disclose in future posts, including more photos and details.

View attachment 106328 View attachment 106329 View attachment 106330 View attachment 106331 View attachment 106658 View attachment 106659
Just received the first one off the production line and it was easy to set up as is stated.
A great idea and as it's have the price of the extender battery and a quarter the price of a second battery [ which you can't buy in NZ] it's a no brainer. Also don't even notice the extra weight. Very grateful.

FWK

Nov 28, 2022
NZ
Possibly, but it would need to be adapted for another battery as the Orbea Rise uses a 42v system (battery fully charged) rather than a 58v system.

It would likely need a full redesign, that's if the bike even accepts an external battery.
Ah right, gotcha.
Be very cool if something could be done to package your setup a bit nicer, be keen. (Also in nz)

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
Just received the first one off the production line and it was easy to set up as is stated.
A great idea and as it's have the price of the extender battery and a quarter the price of a second battery [ which you can't buy in NZ] it's a no brainer. Also don't even notice the extra weight. Very grateful.
Thanks so much for your review and I'm happy you are enjoying it already.

FWK

Nov 28, 2022
NZ
As in for your Orbea rise?
No for exe, I was referencing Orbea rise as you can actually get their range extender battery unlike trek. Same goes for Levo sl, they are available, be good if they could be somehow plugged into a trek (they’re cheaper than the trek ones too(when they do finally arrive))

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
No for exe, I was referencing Orbea rise as you can actually get their range extender battery unlike trek. Same goes for Levo sl, they are available, be good if they could be somehow plugged into a trek (they’re cheaper than the trek ones too(when they do finally arrive))
The tricky part is that the Exe (TQ system) is a higher voltage system. It's great as it's technically more efficient, but it makes it different to most other 42/36v systems.

The Ego battery or eXTender Mod aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but they are durable and readily available globally.

If I used a black paint pen on the green parts of the Ego battery it would improve it ha.

mctubster

Jul 18, 2023
Nelson, NZ

Are you 3d printing the plug that goes into the bike or are you purchasing from somewhere? Cheers

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA

Yep, why it's not for me either. Won't this void the warranty also?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles