Transporting your ebike.

D

Deleted member 4988

This way ..... out of sight

0621FF16-3BA4-4F9A-ABC5-377EC598E58D.jpeg

D

Deleted member 7464

Nice, do they do one for a Peug

That’s awesome! It’s solved my problem of transporting 2 bikes. I can put one on top and one inside with wheel off, assuming that the one I lay flat on a peddle will not damage the crank or motor? Hopefully laying a bike on its side inside the car is ok.
Why not take the pedal off that is going to lie on?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hopefully you can wash before putting back in boot. Last time I was at Golspie did same could handle the mud but 5 minutes dismantling and getting eaten by midgies drove me mad

I have long known about Avon "Skin So Soft" moisturiser being a very effective mosquito and midge repellent. I have never tried it myself because I had thought it was an urban myth. About five years ago I made friends with an ex Royal Marine and I asked him about this. I had expected him to tell me to get serious, but no, he spoke warmly about it instead. He said that it worked well for him and his fellow booties when they were based at Rosyth and Faslane. If you Google it, you will find even Avon mentioning the product's properties, although they are careful to state that it was not designed as an insect repellent.

£3.50 Avon moisturiser is a brilliant insect repellent, ask the Royal Marines

Read the text under the video, nothing on the video worth watching.

PS: it contains Citronella, which must be the active ingredient. Having tried Citronella when in the Caribbean, I can vouch that it works - if a bit smelly. But there is no way at all that it is as good as Jungle Formula Max Strength insect repellent. That gives 12-hour protection and it works on the equator, and other hot and sweaty places. It also is very effective in the forests of England, so I assume it will work in Scotland too!

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I have long known about Avon "Skin So Soft" moisturiser being a very effective mosquito and midge repellent. I have never tried it myself because I had thought it was an urban myth. About five years ago I made friends with an ex Royal Marine and I asked him about this. I had expected him to tell me to get serious, but no, he spoke warmly about it instead. He said that it worked well for him and his fellow booties when they were based at Rosyth and Faslane. If you Google it, you will find even Avon mentioning the product's properties, although they are careful to state that it was not designed as an insect repellent.

PS: it contains Citronella, which must be the active ingredient. Having tried Citronella when in the Caribbean, I can vouch that it works - if a bit smelly. But there is no way at all that it is as good as Jungle Formula Max Strength insect repellent. That gives 12-hour protection and it works on the equator, and other hot and sweaty places. It also is very effective in the forests of England, so I assume it will work in Scotland too!

After putting a bottle of insect repellent back in my rucksack without the lid, and the liquid eating its way through the fabric, I have been very careful what I use.
My main hobby is fishing and there are usually plenty of midges around. Skin so Soft is what I use and it is pretty effective. It does not last as long as JF but I have nice soft skin as a bonus:giggle:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Tried everything deer skin so soft even put whisky on once nothing keeps them away from me , get swollen face as well.

D

Deleted member 4988

Hopefully you can wash before putting back in boot. Last time I was at Golspie did same could handle the mud but 5 minutes dismantling and getting eaten by midgies drove me mad

Oh the midges ! Yeah normally take my homemade jet washer with me

F25D93FC-57FC-428A-A81A-F63B24D97E3C.jpeg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
You might also want to think about how to protect the bike. 50mph in the rain strapped to the back of a car is equivalent to a pressure wash
Am going to try cling film on the sensitive parts for a long transport.....The bike Not My Body parts:eek:

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
My Audi is still under warranty and I fitted an aftermarket tow bar for about £350 vs the £1400 for the Audi version. (no I couldn't believe it either). When I enquired at Audi, they never mentioned warranty impairment, and they have had it for a service since I fitted it; no mention then either.

You asked "what are the issues with ebikes on racks?"
#1: they are heavy vs clockwork bikes and may overload the design. The rack is only held on to the tow-bar ball by friction (think four fingers gripping the ball). It won't come off, but it may drop down and drag on the road.
#3: The tube sections on ebikes are usually much wider than on spindly clockwork bikes and the clamps may not open wide enough, or grip securely enough. This can be overcome by doing your best and then securing with rope or flexible ties.
#4: The tyres are very much wider and don't fit into the valley channels, they just sit on top of them instead, which is not as secure.
#5: The tyres are also much larger in diameter and the straps that come with normal tow-bar bike racks aren't long enough. Tying down the tyres securely to the valley channel is essential.

The tow-bar rack I bought is designed for two ebikes or two fat bikes. It is extendable to a third bike, but the total payload must not exceed 60kg. The channels are wide, the jaws fit and the tyre straps are long. It weighs 18 kg vs 14kg for the similar design meant for clockwork bikes.

I got the Thule VeloSpace XT2 from Halfords.

Thule VeloSpace XT 2 Bike 13pin UK Cycle Carrier

I opted for click and collect at my local store and to my surprise got 10% off when I went to collect it. It was a surprise as it was not mentioned on the web page. So it cost me £378 instead of £420. I have been very pleased with it, although I wish that Thule had spent another 50p on the locks.
Hi Steve I think you get 10% off at Halfords for Cycle UK members. Did you use that ? G.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Steve I think you get 10% off at Halfords for Cycle UK members. Did you use that ? G.
Nope, I have never joined Cycle UK. The 10% discount was for using click and collect, but as I mentioned, it wasn't stated on the website (well I didn't see it, which is probably more accurate).

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Transport the old shire horse around using a BuzzRack for 1x e-mtb.
Works a treat!
This is a BuzzRack E-Scorpion 1.

View attachment 25966
This is exactly what I am looking at.
I'm waiting for my Tesla m3 with tow hitch to be delivered any day now.
I'm looking at a two ebike carrier though

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
When i switched to ebikes I knew I had to get a new solution as popping on the roof was no longer viable. I went for the Atera Strada e-bike M - its a two bike carrier systems, tilts, etc...

Excellent build quality and a very reasonable price - has also won awards from German eMTB and MTB bike press.

I have a Merc C-Class and it fits perfectly into the boot when I have finished unloading the bikes, so nothing hanging off the back of the car whilst parked up. The ML version of the rack was just a touch too wide for the boot - very happy with my purchase and all the built in security features. I regularly carry two eMTB's on the back never had any concerns (the two bikes are both Large frame size so longer wheelbase bikes).

Might be up your street?

Atera Strada E-Bike

Hope this helps someone.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
When i switched to ebikes I knew I had to get a new solution as popping on the roof was no longer viable. I went for the Atera Strada e-bike M - its a two bike carrier systems, tilts, etc...

Excellent build quality and a very reasonable price - has also won awards from German eMTB and MTB bike press.

I have a Merc C-Class and it fits perfectly into the boot when I have finished unloading the bikes, so nothing hanging off the back of the car whilst parked up. The ML version of the rack was just a touch too wide for the boot - very happy with my purchase and all the built in security features. I regularly carry two eMTB's on the back never had any concerns (the two bikes are both Large frame size so longer wheelbase bikes).

Might be up your street?

Atera Strada E-Bike

Hope this helps someone.
That looks to be just the ticket?
Where do you get yours, roofbox company?

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I went for the Atera Strada e-bike M - its a two bike carrier systems, tilts, etc...

I regularly carry two eMTB's on the back never had any concerns (the two bikes are both Large frame size so longer wheelbase bikes).

Totally agree.
Using the Atera since almost 6 years and it works very well with different bikes, even with a S4 Kenevo.

I only needed longer ratchets for bigger tyres (3.0) which I got in the aftermarket.

The only negative... It's not foldable, but worth the money and I would by it again.

Reactions: MPJ

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK

Then you might want to search for Buzzrack E-Scorpion 2 ! If you haven't got one in mind already.
Folds and is a doddle to use. The red strap is just me being over the top.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles