Transporting your ebike.

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
That looks to be just the ticket?
Where do you get yours, roofbox company?
Nah - found mine on eBay. A chap was selling it for £200 only used four times as he had bought a van. A rare find.

But one thing I did to price up was look at various places including roofbox (a great company, bought loads of stuff of them in the past). Cheapest I found is as follows:
You need Amazon Prime and a transaction fee free card (such as Revolut - others are out there as well - you will have to link it to your Amazon account to use it to pay).
Log into Amazon UK, switch to the German site, search for Atera 022686 pick the M version (350 Euros) and purchase it with your fee free card in Euro's you will be billed about £295 (fee free and given current exchange rates on xe.com - these will fluctuate though) and that is with next day delivery - if not you have still saved money. If you go down this route just take your time when purchasing and you can always cancel if not happy and you are quick enough.

Disclaimer - The above is not professional advice and you follow it at your own risk.

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
Totally agree.
Using the Atera since almost 6 years and it works very well with different bikes, even with a S4 Kenevo.

I only needed longer ratchets for bigger tyres (3.0) which I got in the aftermarket.

The only negative... It's not foldable, but worth the money and I would by it again.

You are right - it does fold flat as the back brace folds down onto the cycle carrier (the upside down U at the back) but it does not fold width ways - that's why I had to choose the M over the ML as the M would fit flat width wise straight into my boot. I would buy again as the build quality and the battering it has taken so far speak volumes for their QA process in my opinion.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
that's why I had to choose the M over the ML as the M would fit flat width wise straight into my boot.

The ML wasn't available in 2014, so I had no choice. ;)
Now, I would prefer the ML. The Kenevo is so a huge... the M is at its end. :giggle:

Last edited:

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
This information is probably of no interest to all the youngsters on here but older riders might find it useful :)
I carry my bike on the excellent Thule Easyfold towbar rack. Now that I have a heavier Flyon I was finding it a challenge lifting it onto the rack especially as it is a faff removing the battery.
I have just bought the Thule ramp accessory
Thule EasyFold XT Loading Ramp
which makes life very much easier.

Levo_+_Hope

Jul 10, 2018
Peterborough
Worried about the weather? Use this;
https://www.evanscycles.com/bikeparka-urban-cycle-cover-EV164902

bikeparka-urban-cycle-cover-green-brown-EV164902-6080-1.jpg
You got this?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Before we got the bikes we were worried about how to transport them for a holiday.
didn’t realise how simple it is to take seat, pedals, wheels off and put bubble wrap around frame and other parts, Stick whole lot inside car and away we go.
no worries about rain hitting bearings at 70mph
no worries about G force of corners / road humps ripping the roof off
no worries of attaching expensive trailers or having to lift the bikes on the roof
No worries about scratching the car or bike frames

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Before we got the bikes we were worried about how to transport them for a holiday.
didn’t realise how simple it is to take seat, pedals, wheels off and put bubble wrap around frame and other parts, Stick whole lot inside car and away we go.
no worries about rain hitting bearings at 70mph
no worries about G force of corners / road humps ripping the roof off
no worries of attaching expensive trailers or having to lift the bikes on the roof
No worries about scratching the car or bike frames
All ok till they are covered in mud or r u a fair weather cyclist

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
All ok till they are covered in mud or r u a fair weather cyclist

That’s a fair point but when we go on holiday we will also be taking the hydro-shot washer (on sprinkle mode of course) will make sure the bikes are spotless for the return journey home.

not fair weather riders at all but there is only so much mud those small Bosch chainrings can take before the chain fails to disengage properly and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt. Clay-type mud is the worst

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
That’s a fair point but when we go on holiday we will also be taking the hydro-shot washer (on sprinkle mode of course) will make sure the bikes are spotless for the return journey home.

not fair weather riders at all but there is only so much mud those small Bosch chainrings can take before the chain fails to disengage properly and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt. Clay-type mud is the worst
Aye I have rack outside but if away overnight in camper I usually take it inside. Sometimes a night mare cleaning one never mind 3 or 4 bikes. Enjoy

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’ll be taking my wheels off and putting the frame in the back. My seats don’t fold down, and I don’t think I’d want to lift the thing into the roof.

When I get the analogue hardtail though, it can go on the roof.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hi all.

My car doesn’t have folding rear seats to get a bike in, and the cost to get an insurance and BMW approved (for warranty reasons) tow bar fitted is as much as the bike itself. I have a 3 series, and wondered about a rack that sits in the boot? One bike only, battery removed, could remove the front wheel also.

I remember my dad used to put 3 steel framed bikes on his rack, they’d weigh 18 kilos each easy. What’s the issues with ebikes on racks?

Cheers.
I put off getting one of these for years because of cost. LORD I wish I had done it sooner. It's a big investment since you need to get a 2" receiver on the car, but so so worth it. You can get the single or double Super duty, but if unsure, a double can be added later. Build is superb. Getting locks for bike make it safe to leave the bike if you want to head into a store or restaurant. And it can easily handle the heavier EMTBs as it's rated to 75lbs. Like I said, best investment I've made except for the bikes themselves. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I put off getting one of these for years because of cost. LORD I wish I had done it sooner. It's a big investment since you need to get a 2" receiver on the car, but so so worth it. You can get the single or double Super duty, but if unsure, a double can be added later. Build is superb. Getting locks for bike make it safe to leave the bike if you want to head into a store or restaurant. And it can easily handle the heavier EMTBs as it's rated to 75lbs. Like I said, best investment I've made except for the bikes themselves. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

I took a look at the link and got this:
1591471780278.png

So I fired up the Californian VPN and see that this is a "Slotted Hitch Towbar". As the OP says, he can't get a towbar fitted to his BMW for warranty reasons.

(Basically, if you don't buy your BMW car with the towbar or go back to the BMW dealer to get a brutally expensive retrofit, you lose the warranty. The intention is to stop the use of chocolate towbars fitted by scammers. The unintended consequence is extra profit for BMW).

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I took a look at the link and got this:
View attachment 32927

So I fired up the Californian VPN and see that this is a "Slotted Hitch Towbar". As the OP says, he can't get a towbar fitted to his BMW for warranty reasons.

(Basically, if you don't buy your BMW car with the towbar or go back to the BMW dealer to get a brutally expensive retrofit, you lose the warranty. The intention is to stop the use of chocolate towbars fitted by scammers. The unintended consequence is extra profit for BMW).

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sorry! The company is 1Up and the rack is the 2" Super Duty Single. I got the black one as I have a black car and glad I did. It's also very easy to remove, fold up and store when not in use. Takes about three minutes to put back on if you use the lock. Site here is www.1up-usa.com Maybe you can access this Youtube review?

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
actually, that second review is older. The new lock mechanism is different and better. The rack comes with a lock I believe, and you can add two for the wheels for extra security.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Yakima is a much more compact and engineered solution

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I jam my back wheel against the headlining to make it easier to take the front wheel out... :ROFLMAO:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have a 1upUSA rack and can't imagine a better one. On overnight trips I take off the wheels and put the bike in the little SUV.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Sorry! The company is 1Up and the rack is the 2" Super Duty Single. I got the black one as I have a black car and glad I did. It's also very easy to remove, fold up and store when not in use. Takes about three minutes to put back on if you use the lock. Site here is www.1up-usa.com

Certainly looks like a robust bit of kit. Sadly needs a towbar hitch which, as the OP says, he does not have and cannot install.

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
That floor mat system holding the front forks is exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you get it?

Dude....so sorry, somehow completely missed this!

I made the mount myself out of old scraps of wood.

The waterproof boot mat is a generic one sourced on eBay. I like it because it flaps out over the rear bumper offering a wee bit of protection, but also keeping your legs dry etc when sat putting shoes on!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Dude....so sorry, somehow completely missed this!

I made the mount myself out of old scraps of wood.

The waterproof boot mat is a generic one sourced on eBay. I like it because it flaps out over the rear bumper offering a wee bit of protection, but also keeping your legs dry etc when sat putting shoes on!

No problem. Once I realised that it was possible to buy front fork axle mounts it was just a matter of searching eBay until I came up with the right name for the bits.

I knocked up the same sort of thing with wood and wedges for the back of my van.

Thanks for the original posting - it pointed me in the right direction. ?:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles