Transporting bike with dropper post down

Wayne509

Dec 4, 2019
Fife Scotland
Is it ok to transport a bike with the dropper down for extended amounts of time ? Pretty sure I’m going to have to put mine down to get it in the back of the car but curious as to whether the pressure can damage seals ?.

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
No problem with doing that. They only get damaged by lifting the bike by the saddle with the dropper down. I seen a few get broken like that.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
My bike goes in the back of the car, dropper down. It usually spends the next week in the garage with the dropper still compressed ready for it's next trip in the car.

It won't cause problems.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Is it ok to transport a bike with the dropper down for extended amounts of time ? Pretty sure I’m going to have to put mine down to get it in the back of the car but curious as to whether the pressure can damage seals ?.

Leaving the dropper down will not damage the seals. However... it's a pressurized system. When the dropper is down, the internal pressure is higher. Higher pressures result in greater leakage. And greater leakage means that you'll be servicing your dropper post sooner.

If you NEED to lower the dropper for a specific reason, go ahead and do it. Just don't leave your bike that way for longer than necessary. I've seen folks park their bikes in the garage with the dropper down. That's not the wisest practice.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
This is a joke right? Leave the dropper down all you want. Too many examples to list but here’s one, why do all droppers ship in the compressed position (new bikes and as standalone components) yet none of us receive dysfunctional droppers? Oh yeah because it’s a non issue.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This is the original “Dropper Anthem” by some group I’ve never heard of.
‘Don’t Let Me Down’ by some insect or crawly thing. The lyrics keep going round and round in my head every time I ride. 😉

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I prefer to leave mine up while stored between rides for reasons already mentioned. On the other hand think of hood/bonnet gas support struts on vehicles (and industrial applications). They’re basically the same underlying technology but we’re not fretting over leaving them compressed.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
This is a joke right? Leave the dropper down all you want. Too many examples to list but here’s one, why do all droppers ship in the compressed position (new bikes and as standalone components) yet none of us receive dysfunctional droppers? Oh yeah because it’s a non issue.
I've had loads of new disfunctional Fox droppers, but I'm pretty sure it's because they're just crap rather than how they're shipped.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Leave it down for however long you like.

I stopped leaving mine fully up after several got stuck in the up position after cold or rainy rides. I don't know if this is unique to pnw loam dropper posts but mine got stuck more than a few times as has my buddies after not using it for a few days. I could usually get them freed up after repeatedly cranking on the dropper lever but thats not fun.

Hasn't happened to any of my posts since I started leaving them down.

D

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I keep mine extended as it limits the chance of me picking the bike up via the saddle with the post down. Also I’m a sucker for keeping stuff in a relaxed state when not using it(even though it will probably be fine down). I do the same with the gears, always shift to the smallest gear to keep the springs relaxed whilst storing. If it helps keep things working better for longer with hardly any effort, what’s the harm.

Last edited:

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I keep mine extended as it limits the chance of me picking the bike up via the saddle with the post down. Also I’m a sucker for keeping stuff in a relaxed state when not using it(even though it will probably be fine down). I do the same with the gears, always shift to the smallest gear to keep the springs relaxed whilst storing. If it helps keep things working better for longer with hardly any effort, what’s the harm.
I'm really hoping you take the air out of your suspension as well.

D

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I keep mine extended as it limits the chance of me picking the bike up via the saddle with the post down. Also I’m a sucker for keeping stuff in a relaxed state when not using it(even though it will probably be fine down). I do the same with the gears, always shift to the smallest gear to keep the springs relaxed whilst storing
I'm really hoping you take the air out of your suspension as well.

D
And deflate my tyres

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles