Dropper post tough to get down

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok so this tends to happen after a while of usage. It works absolutely fine then after a while it freely goes up but doesn’t want to go down. The collar clamp isn’t over tight and the post isn't right at the bottom of its limit so doesn’t appear to be too tight on the cable. Any thoughts on why it’s doing this?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Y'know it might help ever so slightly if you were to actually mention the brand and model of dropper. :sneaky:

But if it goes up fine but not down it sounds like it may be binding. possibly from internal bushing/key wear
Does it go down easier if you push on a certain part of the saddle? eg. the rear, front or middle

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Sorry it’s the oc2 Orbea dropper.

it has done it from new it’s only 2 months old. I don’t think it goes down any better wherever you push on. For some reason after 2 hours or so it just doesn’t like going back down. It’s fine once you get home and silicone spray it. I didn’t know if it had anything to do with cable tension

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've got the orbea oc2 dropper - its ok, but really susceptible to getting sticky as the lubrication wears out.

To make it smooth (er) again, unscrew the collar at the top of the fixed part of the post and slide it up out of the way, then drop some chain oil into the post and slide the post up and down to work the oil round. then screw the collar back on. It should work smoothly for a while again, but will eventually start binding again.

I replaced mine with a oneup v2 dropper, which has been much better.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I would rather use light grease or fork oil there instead of chain oil, because chain oil is usually more thick and/or sticky.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I would rather use light grease or fork oil there instead of chain oil, because chain oil is usually more thick and/or sticky.
yep, whatever your preferred lube of choice is. I've used chain oil, but I suspect anything would work reasonably well.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Ok so this tends to happen after a while of usage. It works absolutely fine then after a while it freely goes up but doesn’t want to go down. The collar clamp isn’t over tight and the post isn't right at the bottom of its limit so doesn’t appear to be too tight on the cable. Any thoughts on why it’s doing this?
Tried silicon spray? I use on mine esp after muddy rides. I know grease is better but it is also messier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles