Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I don't own one but really like the look of the bike and the specs. Someone posted about their new one here.. My Relay rocks but it had motor issues within the first week. Haven't seen much else yet...Not sounding great seeing as you mention issues too

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
I love mine. I've had it for several weeks now, no problems whatsoever and have ridden it multiple times with the battery out as well. I said this somewhere else but if it were 4-6lbs lighter with the battery out then it would be the only bike I own. Range is amazing, power is as much as I could ever want. I've ridden full fat e-bikes and they aren't for me (doesn't mean they aren't great for others).

Right now I have the following:
Transition Relay XX AXS
Revel Ranger V2
Forbidden Druid
Stumpjumper EVO Pro
Trek Fuel EX-E XTR
Niner Rip 9 RDO

The last two are at my summer house (no, I'm not a dentist). The bikes I ride the most are the Relay, Druid, Ranger and Niner. The Ranger probably gets 65% of my total ride time but the Relay is easily second. I use the Relay when going on longer weekend rides and when I have my almost 5 year old on the front. The Relay, for what is, is the best bike I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of bikes.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
My girlfriend and I got our Relays (GX builds) we tore them both down and replaced everything but the rear shock (running them mullet). After getting hers built we found her battery will not charge (DOA waiting on Transition to get us a new one). I gave her my battery since I still have my Levo and I'm waiting on parts, and she loves it. Had to do a small bend on the battery clip so they would "click" in.
Relay Short

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
My girlfriend and I got our Relays (GX builds) we tore them both down and replaced everything but the rear shock (running them mullet). After getting hers built we found her battery will not charge (DOA waiting on Transition to get us a new one). I gave her my battery since I still have my Levo and I'm waiting on parts, and she loves it. Had to do a small bend on the battery clip so they would "click" in.
Relay Short
That is one thing that I should have mentioned that I also had to do. There were two problems when I got the Relay but both were solved within 24 hours. First ride I took to bed the brakes I realized that they were reversed off of what we expect in the US. It was not a problem when bedding but then I was testing them after and almost crashed because I wasn't expecting to hit the front brake. Obviously I was able to fix that in <5 min but if you were to ask me I would tell you that this was a far bigger QA fail than the other one.

The other was that the battery kept losing contact on that first ride. I had to bend the clip so that it would hold. Not a huge issue.

Overall, neither were major and solved so quickly that I actually forgot about them until you mentioned it.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Nearly done with my build (still no battery) finally got all the parts and got the ride wrap installed. Had the bumper removed from the rear shock to move up to 170mm (will prolly replace with a Factory at some point) new Shimano brake Hose arrived as the cables are super long in this bike. Installed a 170mm Fox 38 and I will say there was 0 grease in the head set of both our bikes, so if you live in a wet region like us (the PNW) you will wanna look into that. Looking forward to getting this built and getting a rider on it!
20230517_214325.jpg
20230517_215415.jpg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Love the garage and thanks for the pics.

Mine is ready to ship to me but I'm leaving town tomorrow so am having the shipper hold it for me.

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Got my replacement battery and was able to take this beast for a ride! I'm a big guy and we did 12 miles and 2290 feet of climbing, went through 2 dots of the battery on eco. Coming from a Kenevo SL the eco mode on this bike is really peppy, rides like my Spire but with a motor.
20230524_180314.jpg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
That stupid Fazua display. Did you use 21% of your battery or 59%? No one knows!
That's not a lot of miles/ altitude imo for the battery usage in ECO.
Mine arrives this Saturday.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
20230527_203051.jpg
20230527_165525.jpg

It's an XL set up mullet (ordered as a 29er) I've slapped a few of my parts on. I'll probably leave the rear 160mm travel shock and for geo reasons I used my 160mm fork as I wanted it a hair steeper.

It's at 43#s on the dot with pedals, dual inserts, rear 2.5 DD tire, 210mm dropper, cage & shockwiz. I did check 2 weights while putting it together. My front wheel assembly was the big weight saver as even with a proper tire/ rotor/ good cf wheel/ insert, my entire front wheel assembly was 600 grams lighter than stock. My rear Downhill cf 27.5" rear wheel with a DD 2.5 tire and XTR cassette was only 100 grams lighter than the stock 29er wheel with a GX cassette. I used my OneUp bars, my front TS brake & my preferred seat which is heavier than stock.

I'll probably add my rear TS brake tomorrow (saves a bit), and add my tools (adds a bit) and end up about the same.

Didn't realize that you couldn't multi-shift with a turd GX shifter so I'll get that swapped when I get time to mess with it this week.

I wish it had an X01 11 speed, I used an old HG+ XTR 12 speed cassette I had and I swear I'll never use the first 2 gears.

Also would like 170 cranks, but can't find any. It's also doubtful I'd still be able to fit the 210mm dropper with longer cranks as it's that close and I'm only 5'11" (yes I know, I like my bikes big).

I always run clipless but decided to start with some flats, just to try it out.

Have ridden it just on a little dirt path by my home and it feels like the best geo I've ever ridden as far as fit goes. It's got a really steep sta (real world steep), nice and short from the seat to the bars, but long while standing. BB is nice and high comparatively in the real world, with the 160 Mezzer fork (bit longer A2C than a Fox 36) and the 2.5 rear tire I used (all intentional). HTA measures 63.8' as the bike sits. Love all this so far.

The motor is quiet and has nice assistance, although I have practically no e-bike experience so what do I know. It's certainly plenty for me.

My battery was in super tight, which is a good thing I'm thinking. When I finally got it out, it was a 2 handed affair.

I moved the controller further in just because I have little need to reach it while riding and I think it'll work better for my final controls set up.

Pretty stoked so far.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
First ride in the books. I might be the only person in history that was slower on an e-bike on the climbs than my pedal bike, but holy cow did I struggle.

Not certain if it was the flat pedals, the notable extra weight up front, or the jerkiness of the power even in 'Breeze'. But I went to a very chunky ledgy spot that frankly, I can kill it on my SJEvo, I go right up (and down) 99% of those ledges and they are relentless (Emma Long in Austin for anyone that knows it). But on the Relay, I was just a mess.

Basically, the way I ride, where I move the bike around at will, became nearly impossible for me on the Relay. The front was just heavy (and long) enough that quickly manualing over and over, was really challenging, the pedals were too low and the flat pedals I'm testing out (hoping to try more aggressive stuff so wanted to move to flats) were just killing me as I could not keep my feet on the pedals while clearing ledges. I didn't get my suspension set up right and definitely had too much sag, so hoping this gets better.

I was just insanely tired from this ride as well, but not in the legs, it was upper body. I typically do 3 loops in the winter and 2 in the Summer at this spot, but 1 was all I had in me today. I've also been dieting and am quite low on calories and I'm certain this was a contributing factor.

The rear shock felt atrocious as well but hoping I'll be closer on tomorrows outing. But I think it's just a turd shock.

It's certainly true that I'm a real princess and the pea regarding set up and like things just so and I have faith I can get the bike much better for me in a few rides.

I didn't use (practically) ANY battery juice. I rode 17 km (a very short ride for me) and the battery showed all 5 dots still lit and when I plugged the battery in, the light was green. Not sure how that is even possible. Green (Breeze) is plenty powerful for me.

Also, just now did a software update so I'll be curious how that affects things.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yes it is.

My shock was a bit too low so lots of pedal strikes, I tried flat pedals & the engine had an old firmware that has a lot more delay. All 3 of these have since been corrected.

Hoping to have a better experience tomorrow.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I'm definitely getting closer on set up and found some ebike magic today.

Basically, rode a usual, very technical spot and made my way deep down in the canyon where the best gnar is and was able to explore considerably further than I would on my pedal bike. That was awesome!

Most of my handling issues are related to poor suspension set up, which is on me. I find the rear air shock combined with the suspension progression a bit like hitting a wall off drops and such. So I removed a shock volume reducer. Also getting the fork closer, slightly raised my bars, etc.

Manuals are definitely much harder on an ebike with all the weight in the downtube but it does provide an upside: great front wheel traction! That was a nice surprise. I do suffer from less rear traction however. Currently on a DD 2.5 Aggressor with an insert and pretty low pressure. It tends to slip on it's side knobs on off camber climbs.

I'm starting to get the hang of climbing on an ebike as well. At this time, it's no advantage on my technical climbs at all because of the heavy front end.

If I can continue to get the Relay more dialed in and really begin feeling like myself on it, I'll finish my build out and sell my SJEvo. After the first ride, just selling it and going back to a bike was definitely being considered.

Basically to complete the bike I'd convert to a SRAM 11 speed that I have around here and get my rear TRICKSTUFF brake installed and it would be complete. Also need to think about tire choice in the rear to get what I need back there.

Ps. Most of the cable rattle comes from where the cables enter the frame.

Last edited:

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
I'm definitely getting closer on set up and found some ebike magic today.

Basically, rode a usual, very technical spot and made my way deep down in the canyon where the best gnar is and was able to explore considerably further than I would on my pedal bike. That was awesome!

Must of my handling issues are related to poor suspension set up, which is on me. I find the rear air shock combined with the suspension progression a bit like hitting a wall off drops and such. So I removed a shock volume reducer. Also getting the fork closer, slightly raised my bars, etc.

Manuals are definitely much harder on an ebike with all the weight in the downtube but it does provide an upside: great front wheel traction! That was a nice surprise. I do suffer from less rear traction however. Currently on a DD 2.5 Aggressor with an insert and pretty low pressure. It tends to slip on it's side knobs on off camber climbs.

I'm starting to get the hang of climbing on an ebike as well. At this time, it's no advantage on my technical climbs at all because of the heavy front end.

If I can continue to get the Relay more dialed in and really begin feeling like myself on it, I'll finish my build out and sell my SJEvo. After the first ride, just selling it and going back to a bike was definitely being considered.

Basically to complete the bike I'd convert to a SRAM 11 speed that I have around here and get my rear TRICKSTUFF brake installed and it would be complete. Also need to think about tire choice in the rear to get what I need back there.

Ps. Most of the cable rattle comes from where the cables enter the frame.
Hey, get the assegai 2.5 dd or exo+ if you run cushcores, maxxterra rubber mix. You gonna love it on ebike. Also your body needs to get you to different weight distribution on ebike and you will be fine :) my relay should be with me next week!:)

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Hey, get the assegai 2.5 dd or exo+ if you run cushcores, maxxterra rubber mix. You gonna love it on ebike. Also your body needs to get you to different weight distribution on ebike and you will be fine :) my relay should be with me next week!:)

Yah, I was trying to give some consideration for rolling resistance but probably should just do dual Assagais.

I'm barely using any battery juice btw. Only about 20% every 10 miles on very chunky steep terrain. I keep in on the Breeze setting unless I'm doing a boring smooth climb out.

I did have a moment where the lights turned out on the trail when I stopped and my Relay wouldn't turn on. Pulling the battery and reinstalling it started it right back up.

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
Yah, I was trying to give some consideration for rolling resistance but probably should just do dual Assagais.

I'm barely using any battery juice btw. Only about 20% every 10 miles on very chunky steep terrain. I keep in on the Breeze setting unless I'm doing a boring smooth climb out.

I did have a moment where the lights turned out on the trail when I stopped and my Relay wouldn't turn on. Pulling the battery and reinstalling it started it right back

Just ordered the Assagai. I needed better rear traction so why wait? Thx
I use at the front assegai Exo+ but in maxxgrip compound. Killer combo

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Catching up on the thread, yeah we have experienced the weird "blinky lights bike no go" a few times too, its always after its sits for a bit. I have not connected the app to mine yet so I need to do that for sure. Glad that getting your suspension sorted your ride issues, I love how this bike feels like my Spire does but with a motor. I had a rattling as well and found that the controller cable (be sure not to tighten that too much or it starts sticking) is crazy long and the connector was just banging around inside the frame.
After swapping from 29 to 27.5 in the rear we can't find the setting to change the motor to the new wheel size (my GF has connected her app), I asked my shop manager if he knew, he did not and I pinged Transition about it, no answer, so that's a bit annoying as if its like all ther other e-bikes we have has it needs to be updated. Right now I feel its a great riding bike but not so great e-bike

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
Catching up on the thread, yeah we have experienced the weird "blinky lights bike no go" a few times too, its always after its sits for a bit. I have not connected the app to mine yet so I need to do that for sure. Glad that getting your suspension sorted your ride issues, I love how this bike feels like my Spire does but with a motor. I had a rattling as well and found that the controller cable (be sure not to tighten that too much or it starts sticking) is crazy long and the connector was just banging around inside the frame.
After swapping from 29 to 27.5 in the rear we can't find the setting to change the motor to the new wheel size (my GF has connected her app), I asked my shop manager if he knew, he did not and I pinged Transition about it, no answer, so that's a bit annoying as if its like all ther other e-bikes we have has it needs to be updated. Right now I feel its a great riding bike but not so great e-bike
Why not so great e bike ? Fazua issues ? Even after recent update ?

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I feel its a subpar e-bike due to its general lack of refinement. The motor is a bit wonkey at times (hopefully the update will fix that) the random battery connection issues, the lackluster LED display and the absolutely crap mode controller. When comparing the ebike features to like say Specialized or a TQ equipped bike the Fazua system is lacking. Still love riding the bike esp downhill hill, but there is room for improvment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles