Trail Watts Booster Battery Systems

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
I have just had the pleasure of meeting Graham from TrailWatts and having him install my new Booster System on my 2019 Levo.

As an early adopter and having shelled out £450 to someone I've never met for a product that I've never seen and installing it on a £4000 bike I was as you can imagine slightly cautious as to what may be. Good communication through the ordering and build process inspired confidence and even with a slight delay added due to waiting for modified cables from Specialized, Graham kept me updated with assurances that this was to ensure the best possible product he could supply.

Days before the system was ready to ship, Graham contacted me with an offer to deliver and fit the system personally which I took without hesitation and he arrived today as scheduled with new system and fitting tools in hand.

A genuinely decent and confidence inspiring guy with an interesting back story as to why he is where he is today and a real passion to provide a quality product for riders like him. Total care and consideration taken during the fitting process with any questions answered as he went and making sure everything was as perfect as both he and I wanted.

Any thoughts I had of receiving a cheap product were instantly dismissed when you get to look and feel what he is supplying and when you hear him talk so confidently about the materials and build process. This is a decent piece of kit being supplied here and every part has a real thought process to ensure it looks and works as well as it can do.

Graham had even gone to the extra trouble to obtain a matching TrailWatts decal for my custom fluro yellow design as he wasn't happy with the standard colour decal that he had in stock. A very nice touch.

A very neat and tidy finish as you can see below and the system just fits with the bike so well.

So at this stage I can only supply a review of the process so far as I have no time to ride the new system yet and I will update this thread once I have tested everything extensively, but I have to say based on Grahams overall approach, product supplied and the confidence he has in it, I think we could be looking at a really decent way to the Ride The Trails Longer. View attachment 12787
So after some varied test rides, advice and ongoing support from Graham at Trailwatts I am confident to report back that this system really will do exactly what Trailwatts have promised. I am getting the promised extended battery life and in turn extended mileage and ride time and still getting home with battery to spare. The range anxiety has gone and I am now confident in pushing on for extended rides knowing I can get home again. I think further tweaking of Mission Control settings will simply provide better results and extra mileage so you could adapt it ride by ride if need be.
If you are looking for extra range and cant justify the cost of the bigger battery then Trailwatts will offer exactly what you need. Graham will provide a quality product with very high levels of customer service so you really don't have much to worry about if you want to Ride The Trails Longer ;)

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Going to beat the Alps next week
Got the @TrailwattsUK extender to reduce the range anxiety ?
Very easy to install and good quality parts

Use the extra watts to commute from downtown to the trails ?
DF3E24E7-6321-4FC8-BF09-DA8A0A0FB4B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Hi @Gmanlevo
After a couple of long rides I understand that Your system secures that the watts are taken equally from both the OEM battery end the Trailwatts (y)

How is the system working if the OEM battery is at eg 10% and I then turn on the Trailswatts at 100% :unsure:

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Hi @Gmanlevo
After a couple of long rides I understand that Your system secures that the watts are taken equally from both the OEM battery end the Trailwatts (y)

How is the system working if the OEM battery is at eg 10% and I then turn on the Trailswatts at 100% :unsure:

You will run out of battery. Design of specialized cannot function without the oem battery being on. Also the self protection of battery will reduce assist at low percentage then turn off. Best to run from fully charged for the best range?

Kimbratberg

Jun 22, 2019
Norway
I wonder if this will fit my kenevo comp? The Ohlins and the fox van rc coil rear shock are diffrent builds.
I really want this but have anyone tried it on the comp ?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Full credit for Trailwatts for engaging with everyone on this forum and replying to the many questions. Also impressive is that everyone who seems to have tried it so far seems impressed and happy (and folk on this forum are very quick to say if they are not happy!). It looks as if this system could be the answer for me as I frequently finish a ride with almost nothing left. Another advantage is that when you’re is going on a shorter ride you can leave it behind and save weight - better than having the extra weight of a 700w battery all the time.
My questions are:
1. From the photos it looks as if one has to drill a hole in the motor cover for the wire to go in. I don’t mind doing this but you said that if one removed everything and took bike back to shop they would not know that a supplementary system had been fitted so there would be no guarantee problem. However, wouldn’t an extra hole in the motor cover be a bit of a giveaway? It seems that the system, if anything, puts less strain on the battery and no more on the motor (except one might use turbo more), so there shouldn’t be a guarantee problem but .........
2. Can you ship to Switzerland? Is there any problem with sending batteries through the post?
3. If above answer is yes, can you export VAT free. Most companies do this because we have to pay Swiss VAT on imports.
4. If the answer is no, will you be supplying any retailers in mainland Europe.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Full credit for Trailwatts for engaging with everyone on this forum and replying to the many questions. Also impressive is that everyone who seems to have tried it so far seems impressed and happy (and folk on this forum are very quick to say if they are not happy!). It looks as if this system could be the answer for me as I frequently finish a ride with almost nothing left. Another advantage is that when you’re is going on a shorter ride you can leave it behind and save weight - better than having the extra weight of a 700w battery all the time.
My questions are:
1. From the photos it looks as if one has to drill a hole in the motor cover for the wire to go in. I don’t mind doing this but you said that if one removed everything and took bike back to shop they would not know that a supplementary system had been fitted so there would be no guarantee problem. However, wouldn’t an extra hole in the motor cover be a bit of a giveaway? It seems that the system, if anything, puts less strain on the battery and no more on the motor (except one might use turbo more), so there shouldn’t be a guarantee problem but .........
2. Can you ship to Switzerland? Is there any problem with sending batteries through the post?
3. If above answer is yes, can you export VAT free. Most companies do this because we have to pay Swiss VAT on imports.
4. If the answer is no, will you be supplying any retailers in mainland Europe.
Thank you for your kind words.
Depending on which model of bike you have, I can supply a cover pre-drilled or modified for the trailwatts fitment. You can fit the standard cable which exits rear of top cover requiring no modification to your bike.
The loom is plug and play and the module is invisible to the bike.
Shipping worldwide with your location included and more locations added next month with USA and Europe are receiving trailwatts already via safe Class 9 courier ?
Having shipped to Switzerland already and encountered no charges or additional conditions.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have a 2018 Kenevo and I've seen plenty of pictures to know that fitting is no problem. Good news about shipping to Switzerland but it is me that would pay the extra charges! Postman arrives at the door and demands lots of cash for VAT and customs charges and you don't get the parcel until you pay up. This is OK as long as one is not paying UK VAT as well. As Switzerland outside of EU we don't have to pay UK VAT. I guess it will be the same after Brexit but who knows!!!

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I have a 2018 Kenevo and I've seen plenty of pictures to know that fitting is no problem. Good news about shipping to Switzerland but it is me that would pay the extra charges! Postman arrives at the door and demands lots of cash for VAT and customs charges and you don't get the parcel until you pay up. This is OK as long as one is not paying UK VAT as well. As Switzerland outside of EU we don't have to pay UK VAT. I guess it will be the same after Brexit but who knows!!!
If you get charges inform me.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Fitting day at Swinley Forest/ Berkshire Cycles Sunday 10th November.
Get in touch to order your kit.

Aug 9, 2019
Sheffield
Just taken delivery of my 252wh version for my 2019 Levo.
Must say service so far has been fantastic and the upon opening the box its a great well thought out bit of kit. Even comes with a waterproof cover and a little carrying bag for the battery when not on the bike.
Taken me 30 mins to install with detailed emailed instructions.

Just need the rain to bugger off now so i can get out and ride!

Cheers
MIke

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Just taken delivery of my 252wh version for my 2019 Levo.
Must say service so far has been fantastic and the upon opening the box its a great well thought out bit of kit. Even comes with a waterproof cover and a little carrying bag for the battery when not on the bike.
Taken me 30 mins to install with detailed emailed instructions.

Just need the rain to bugger off now so i can get out and ride!

Cheers
MIke
Thank you Mike

28Griff

Oct 15, 2019
Belarus
[email protected] or contact page on website?
Hi
Could you sell range extender without battery cells and charger?

Actually even don't need a bottle and bms.
I need harmless and cooperational electronics.
How much can it cost?

My plan is simple - i will try to use affordable high current stihl ap 300s battery
20s 36v. 281wh.
AP 300 S Lithium-Ion Battery | Water Resistant STIHL Battery
Plug it into
AP Battery Bag with Cord | Battery Storage

From my point of view, it could be an easy way how to create levo range extender kit for countries where unable to get lithium batteries according post service restrictions.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Hi
Could you sell range extender without battery cells and charger?

Actually even don't need a bottle and bms.
I need harmless and cooperational electronics.
How much can it cost?

My plan is simple - i will try to use affordable high current stihl ap 300s battery
20s 36v. 281wh.
AP 300 S Lithium-Ion Battery | Water Resistant STIHL Battery
Plug it into
AP Battery Bag with Cord | Battery Storage

From my point of view, it could be an easy way how to create levo range extender kit for countries where unable to get lithium batteries according post service restrictions.
There is quite a few technical issues with attempting this type of product.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles