• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Trail Riding?

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Can someone please explain to me what 'trail riding' is? Is it a US term for what we Brits would call bridleways and green lanes (p.r.o.w) ....or does it mean MTB trail parks, or does it mean UK trails like (in Derbyshire anyway) the High Peak Trail, Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail etc ( old railway lines that are now flat shared footpaths/cycleways).
It seems an odd name to use.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Go and ride the bike parks and find out.

Green track:-
7 year old child can ride around. Its flowy, easy with no difficult parts. There could be super easy jumps, but they are all rollable.

Blue trails:-
Adds some rocks and roots and maybe some rollable drops or steeps but. No "victory or death" features You do not have to get your wheels off the ground. But there is likely to be bigger rollable jumps

Black trails:-
These tend to split into tech and jump tracks. A black track will require you to commit to challenging features, there is likely gap jumps, and non rollable drops on the black jump tracks. On the black tech tracks, things get gnarly with steeps, big rock or root sections that you have to have the skill to ride.

Double black:-
The same as black tracks except harder. Bigger features, more "victory or death" you must make it or break either yourself or the bike.

Proline:-
Usually these trails are blocked off and only open when there is a pro race dh race going on.
Red’s ?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
The grading system is broadly based on the ski-piste system which is fairly universal in europe. These can vary at different resorts (bike parks here) depending on terrain and weather conditions.
Try a green… the easiest. If you are ok and feel confident go for a blue.
If that worries you stop at blues!
Keep practicing and grade up the colours with experience and practice…..

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
That’s a good question. I think we only have one trail designated or rated as a “Red” trail. IM not even sure what the criteria would be for a red trail. Is it between a black and blue rated trail?
Yes. There are a lot of reds in the uk.
Up from a blue but probably rollable on the drops or jumps.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve also heard of white and orange rated trails. Those could be part of some ski hill ratings system.

Some entrances to trails look like a double black diamond but turn out to be a blue rated trail. I think once you’ve familiar with a mountain you know which trails to avoid.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Red would be the proline or some crazy ass technical like that some silly ass technical features that cannot be ridden around.
Good to know if I win the lottery. In the UK a red is rollable or has chicken lines so dropping into a NZ red could be a bit od an eye opener! :ROFLMAO:

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
I ride on roads or cycle paths to reach trails, which simply put, are
20230805_145839-03.jpeg
none of the above !

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
That’s a good question. I think we only have one trail designated or rated as a “Red” trail. IM not even sure what the criteria would be for a red trail. Is it between a black and blue rated trail?

Red’s ?

In Europe a red trail is the equivalent of a USA/Canada black.

Our scheme is green/blue/red/black, vs the USA/Canada green/blue/black/double black.

Private bike parks in the uk do their own thing and the UK body that manages public land has helpfully just adopted green/blue/red/black/double black for DH trails, after previously using a system of 1-3 orange dots previously, with absolutely zero consistency in difficulty and no concept of what a double black trail is.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
In Europe a red trail is the equivalent of a USA/Canada black.

Our scheme is green/blue/red/black, vs the USA/Canada green/blue/black/double black.

Private bike parks in the uk do their own thing and the UK body that manages public land has helpfully just adopted green/blue/red/black/double black for DH trails, after previously using a system of 1-3 orange dots previously, with absolutely zero consistency in difficulty and no concept of what a double black trail is.
That makes sense. We have too many designated black trails that tend to overlap in difficulty. A Red trail with chicken lanes can be very difficult but rideable for me. I’d probably skip-da-features.

But the North Shore is another level …and I’d want a guide before I ride Squamish.

Reactions: Dax

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
I mainly ride as I said before, Derbyshire and Peak District bridleways and shared paths I find on OS maps (I don't use designated mtb apps), so I have no idea what colour they are, but after watching plenty of YouTube vids (in and around the Peak District) it seems like a lot of the MTB/emtb trails are the same bridleways anyway....and it's more fun not having a clue what type of challenge awaits when you plan a route imo. But that's just my take on it. Enjoy wherever and whatever you ride on.

Reactions: Dax

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I mainly ride as I said before, Derbyshire and Peak District bridleways and shared paths I find on OS maps (I don't use designated mtb apps), so I have no idea what colour they are, but after watching plenty of YouTube vids (in and around the Peak District) it seems like a lot of the MTB/emtb trails are the same bridleways anyway....and it's more fun not having a clue what type of challenge awaits when you plan a route imo. But that's just my take on it. Enjoy wherever and whatever you ride on.
It’s usually after I’ve ridden down a double black (if I make it) that I look at the topographical map and realize how stupid I was. The tight elevation lines with a trail descending straight down makes me wonder …what was I thinking? Regardless, all part of the adventure.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I suppose you could call any route you go on a trail as well , I do anyway. You could probably call it a track or path as well. Overthinking it all I think. Could be a media conjured up name as well.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
It’s usually after I’ve ridden down a double black (if I make it) that I look at the topographical map and realize how stupid I was. The tight elevation lines with a trail descending straight down makes me wonder …what was I thinking? Regardless, all part of the adventure.
That's where OS maps comes in handy...except I usually forget to look closely at the contour lines! Reminds me:

batch__DSC2101.jpg

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Can someone please explain to me what 'trail riding' is? Is it a US term for what we Brits would call bridleways and green lanes (p.r.o.w) ....or does it mean MTB trail parks, or does it mean UK trails like (in Derbyshire anyway) the High Peak Trail, Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail etc ( old railway lines that are now flat shared footpaths/cycleways).
Here in Western USA (most likely the rest) and Canada trail riding is a general term covering pretty much any off-road riding beyond a dirt road, fire road, after that you'll hear more definitive descriptions:
single-track, technical, gnarly, rock garden, flow trail to describe the physical nature of the trail. Often a trail may have further classification as Black Diamond (typically bike park DH or more challenging skill level trails), Blue (medium skill/difficulty level), Green (beginning skill)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here in Western USA (most likely the rest) and Canada trail riding is a general term covering pretty much any off-road riding beyond a dirt road, fire road, after that you'll hear more definitive descriptions:
single-track, technical, gnarly, rock garden, flow trail to describe the physical nature of the trail. Often a trail may have further classification as Black Diamond (typically bike park DH or more challenging skill level trails), Blue (medium skill/difficulty level), Green (beginning skill)
Never heard the term “fire road” until I started reading this forum. I might consider our gravel roads as logging roads. Then there’s skidder trails which can branch off. BC Hydro cut a right-away across this mountain part way up. But then everything else is made by hikers, backpackers, and mtb’ers.

Since our trails are not marked, a map or an app like TrailForks, is necessary.
Single track, rock garden, loamy, flow etc. are usually designated as Double Black Diamond, Black Diamond, Blue or Green. One trail is a Red.🤷‍♂️.
There’s something for everyone.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Never heard the term “fire road” until I started reading this forum. I might consider our gravel roads as logging roads. Then there’s skidder trails which can branch off. BC Hydro cut a right-away across this mountain part way up. But then everything else is made by hikers, backpackers, and mtb’ers.

Since our trails are not marked, a map or an app like TrailForks, is necessary.
Single track, rock garden, loamy, flow etc. are usually designated as Double Black Diamond, Black Diamond, Blue or Green. One trail is a Red.🤷‍♂️.
There’s something for everyone.
FYI, our fire roads are used as fire-breaks and access points to get fire fighting equipment into the mountains, forests since we are prone to annual fire seasons during our dry summer/fall seasons.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
FYI, our fire roads are used as fire-breaks and access points to get fire fighting equipment into the mountains, forests since we are prone to annual fire seasons during our dry summer/fall seasons.
Yes, Fire Breaks. That’s the term I was looking for. I suppose logging roads could be considered fire breaks. We relied on the Mars Bombers based in Port Alberni, and fire crews. During a forest fire my job was to fill the Bambi buckets for the helicopters. Long long days those were.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
Trail riding is mountain biking on singletrack trails. Trails such as hiking trails or multiple use trails. Anything from 4wheel drive roads, smooth singletrack flow trails, to rougher, technical, rocky hiking trails. Trail riding often has a lot of climbing. So, a trail bike needs to climb adequately, and sometimes handle technical descents. A trail bike is a category that may be any bike within a range from a sturdy cross-country bike to a light enduro bike in makeup.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Trail riding is mountain biking on singletrack trails. Trails such as hiking trails or multiple use trails. Anything from 4wheel drive roads, smooth singletrack flow trails, to rougher, technical, rocky hiking trails. Trail riding often has a lot of climbing. So, a trail bike needs to climb adequately, and sometimes handle technical descents. A trail bike is a category that may be any bike within a range from a sturdy cross-country bike to a light enduro bike in makeup.
I give up, it's like something got 'lost in the pond' English Vs US English, eg ' hiking trails (paths and bridleways), multiple use trails (green lanes). For non UK residents a path (described as a footpath) is foot traffic only, usually interrupted by styles.. A bridleway , is for non motorised traffic, hikers, cyclists, and of course horses and beasts of burden (usually hundreds or even thousands of years old) and not interrupted by styles, a green lane...open to all traffic ( if your stupid), not for normal cars...farm vehicles and 4 x 4 s....car destroying unserfaced roads. Note: non are 'trails'.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I give up, it's like something got 'lost in the pond' English Vs US English, eg ' hiking trails (paths and bridleways), multiple use trails (green lanes). For non UK residents a path (described as a footpath) is foot traffic only, usually interrupted by styles.. A bridleway , is for non motorised traffic, hikers, cyclists, and of course horses and beasts of burden (usually hundreds or even thousands of years old) and not interrupted by styles, a green lane...open to all traffic ( if your stupid), not for normal cars...farm vehicles and 4 x 4 s....car destroying unserfaced roads. Note: non are 'trails'.

Meanwhile the uk also has a lot of mtb trails that are none of the above, both official trails and unofficial (aka ‘off piste’).

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
In USA, a multiple use (non-motorized) trail is a singletrack (do they have singletrack in UK?) a narrow soft surface trail that usually allows foot traffic, mountain bike use, and equestrian such as horses and mules. A non-mechanized trail is one that allows foot traffic and equestrian traffic. But no mountain bikes. These are found in designated wilderness areas. And among other areas so restricted.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
In USA, a multiple use (non-motorized) trail is a singletrack (do they have singletrack in UK?) a narrow soft surface trail that usually allows foot traffic, mountain bike use, and equestrian such as horses and mules. A non-mechanized trail is one that allows foot traffic and equestrian traffic. But no mountain bikes. These are found in designated wilderness areas. And among other areas so restricted.
I would call a single track in Scotland literally as it says room for a single bike you would struggle to find room to pass . It would be 2 feet wide roughly speaking and twisty . Single track only exists in mountain biking as far as I am aware in Scotland anyway never heard of a single track walking trail . Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I never ride Bike Parks and rarely trail centres so most of my riding is in local forests and the trails are made by a combination of animals and ad hoc trail builders.....then modified or destroyed by Forestry England etc...then re built:D. So any trail could be green at the top, blue in the middle, black in a couple of places.........and quite possibly if my mate is leading the way a bog at the bottom:ROFLMAO:.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles