• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

EMTB and riding on public lands

MissJordan

Mar 16, 2018
Missoula
This is one of my first posts here as a new E bike owner and I’m wanting to weigh everyone’s opinions on riding their EMTB on various trails and roads on public lands throughout the United States.

My state of Montana recognizes a “Bicycle" as a means a vehicle propelled solely by human power on which any person may ride, irrespective of the number of wheels, except scooters, wheelchairs, and similar devices. The term includes an electrically assisted bicycle.

However the forest service and bureau of land management classify an E bike as a motorized vehicle.

My question to you is how are you interpreting the laws when riding your e bike on trails that are not designed for motorized use? I see where E bikes are a fantastic tool and many states except them still as a bicycle but i feel slightly uncomfortable wanting to take it on a non motorized trail where i could get in trouble by a wildlife agent.

We have some fantastic bike trails all throughout Montana but most are posted strictly for non motorized use

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
In Canada pas class 1 are allowed on bike paths the speed limit it’s lower than most normal bikes travel so I try tnot keep it under. Haven’t had any issues as of yet.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Montana seems to have a different take on power and speed limits, 500w/30mph vs. 750w/20mph Federal law. Not all states here have adopted the Class I, II and III laws set in place by the way.

https://www.evelo.com/montana-state-electric-bike-laws-registration-definition/

They are allowed on bike lanes, paths and State Park paths under their current regulations. What I find strange is in regards to the this:

"The motor must not require clutching or shifting."

This wording usually shows up in regards to ICE MoPed regulations here in the US. E Bikes don't have a clutch but mid drive motors do require shifting so technically a mid drive isn't legal to use in Montana, but a hub motor would meet the rule as it doesn't require shifting. However I doubt that anyone in law enforcement is familiar enough with this part of the regs to be of worry.

At trailheads across the US signage is appearing that show a "no ebikes" symbol. Probably best to not ride on trails displaying this. Generally e bikes that meet the state requirements are considered to be the same as bicycles and not in the motorized category so "no motorized" trails shouldn't be a problem especially if you ride responsibly.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I think you're really asking how does everyone feel about riding ebikes in places that prohibit them? At least related to USFS trails? That's your call on what you're willing to risk. Otherwise, just ask whoever manages the property you're interested in, they may already have an ebike policy in place, it's just not obvious.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In the US it's not always just about your own risk. in many areas mtb trails are actually in danger of being closed to all bicycles because of Emtbers flaunting the (dumb) rules.

I don't really care about access laws. I never adhered to them the entire time I lived in England and used my Scottish charm to ride anywhere I wanted to using the same common sense rules the land access laws in Scotland suggest. What I do care about how my flauting of rules affects others.
In your situation I'd think long and hard and talk to local trailbuilders/riders and pay attention to their advice as much as the land owners before making the call to ride where you're not permitted.

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
I only ride my Levo on trails that I've been given permission by the land manager. Luckily I have a handful of great local trails that allow them. I ride my Stumpjumper everywhere else. I'm in Charlotte, NC.

HamDog

May 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm in the same boat and live in So. California. In the nearby trails, e-bikes are not allowed. I had held off on getting a e-mtb because I didn't want to spend all that money and then be kicked off the trails. Finally, I ordered one of the closeout 2017 Haibike deals from my local shop. Mainly because of the following reasons:

I'm starting to see others ride them on the trails. I already have a Trekking e-bike and rode it on one of the fire roads. As I stopped to take a break, I saw the park ranger's patrol car coming towards me! I have a Haibike which SCREAMS "I'm an e-bike". The Rangers just waved and I waved back. They didn't say anything. I should mention that I normally ride weekday afternoon's, when most people are at work and the trails are empty.

Summer is upon us and it gets too hot to climb those steep hills. I struggle bad enough in nice cool weather, so mountain biking is outta the question on those hot days. With an e-bike, it makes the climbs easier and possibly do-able during the hot summer days.

Some say to follow the rules. I think we need to push a little. Make our numbers known. Hopefully this will help move the process more quickly if they see interest. As always, be polite. Respect the land. Leave if the Rangers ask you to leave. If you want to help the cause, allow others to test ride your bike on a hill. So far, everyone has been pleasantly impressed by my trekking e-bike. Personally, I've been riding these trails for decades. I can't fathom the thought that my e-bike is doing any more harm than my regular mountain bike. It isn't.

Emmon

May 2, 2018
Montana
I live in Bozeman Montana... i'm a convert from dirtbiking. I've recently joined SWMMBA (southwest montana mountain biking association) so that i can meet people and show them my ebikes... I think most of the issue is contempt prior to investigation. luckily we have lots of motorized trails so ill stick to those for now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles