• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Trail Riding?

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Can someone please explain to me what 'trail riding' is? Is it a US term for what we Brits would call bridleways and green lanes (p.r.o.w) ....or does it mean MTB trail parks, or does it mean UK trails like (in Derbyshire anyway) the High Peak Trail, Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail etc ( old railway lines that are now flat shared footpaths/cycleways).
It seems an odd name to use.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
We're simple folk here.
On road or off road. That's it apart from the two obvious which are woods and cliffs.
So I think that's like 3 options or road.....😁
Yes people trying to make something simple complicated. Wide road that a tractor goes on we would call a forestry or land rover track or dirt track . Narrow walking route a path . Offroad narrow for mtb we would call singletrack but 30 years ago it wouldn't have been called that . It will only get worse I suspect.

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
Yes people trying to make something simple complicated. Wide road that a tractor goes on we would call a forestry or land rover track or dirt track . Narrow walking route a path . Offroad narrow for mtb we would call singletrack but 30 years ago it wouldn't have been called that . It will only get worse I suspect.
Now your definitely complicating options there with the word walking....😳

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
In USA, a multiple use (non-motorized) trail is a singletrack (do they have singletrack in UK?) a narrow soft surface trail that usually allows foot traffic, mountain bike use, and equestrian such as horses and mules. A non-mechanized trail is one that allows foot traffic and equestrian traffic. But no mountain bikes. These are found in designated wilderness areas. And among other areas so restricted.
Sorry, “multi-use” is the descriptor… it can be a single-track, double-track, fire road, service (dirt) road.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles