Torque vs assist lvl battery drain ep8

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hello. Does someone has experiment the effect off torque au assist level on battery drain for an ep8 motor?

I've heard on a video that torque level on etube don't drain so much battery. The guy says always but torque at max.

It's like eco lvl 1 on assist and 10 on torque drain less battery and feels more powerful than eco lvl 2 assist and lvl 1 on torque.

Someone has experiment it?

I wonder if the torque setting really change the battery draining, or if the drain it's just marginal.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
That's a good question and one to which I do not have an answer...

Doing all the changes is messy and time consuming and then having a controlled environment to be able to asses the changes is the difficult bit!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Though I suppose you can set the torque limit as high as you like, if the power levels are set low enough - it will never get to those torque levels anyway so it won't matter what they're set to in that case ????

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Yes, i have a Rise, but I think the restriction was more for the component wear and a different assist feeling. The bike is built like a mtb not like an emtb. The rotwild has the same Wh but no torque restrictions.

My orbea has a bug, I can push it to 85Nm. I wonder if it's the orbea rs firmware on it or the Shimano one

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Isn't the ep8 RS in the Rise set with restricted Torque ? To get more range ......

There is more to it than longer range....like using normal (thinner/lighted) components, more exersize etc.

It's very easy to find out, what effect each setting will do.
I use my own local trail, which is 30km long.
I now has a special setting, which will leave me with 2% free battery.
I can then take 1 of the 3 settings and lower it, go for a round, and see what impact each setting does for the battery and feel.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I've change the parameters on my commute trail today, i have switch to profile 2, eco lvl 2 torque at 63Nm. I've drain less battery than the same commute trail on Monday with profile 1 and eco lvl 1 torque at 20Nm. But the display says 46km left today, Monday it says 52km left range :unsure:

In feeling it was easy today, like if I was in defaut trail in profil 1

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've heard on a video that torque level on etube don't drain so much battery. The guy says always but torque at max.

I haven't seen the video, so I won't comment directly. Just keep in mind that any pimply faced youth with undescended testicles can get himself a YouTube channel and say anything that pops into is little brain. It's best to view such tripe with a bit of skepticism.

If your goal is to maximize battery life, then decreasing the level of assist will always help.

The torque value doesn't necessarily have the same effect. Just because your torque level is set higher, it doesn't necessarily mean that your motor is outputting that amount. Generally, if you maintain a faster cadence and slower bike speed, then your motor output (and battery usage) will be less than if you're riding fast in a taller gear.

Tangential Anecdote:
Sometimes when I'm looking at a super steep climb with some gnarly rock hops, I'll kick my settings up to Boost. Everything might be good at the start, then I'll hit the difficult section, and... BAM! The motor falls flat on it's face. It's like you're over-revving your big block muscle car and getting valve float. Or maybe it's like your racing down the freeway in your company car and the speed limiter kicks in. What's happening on the eMTB is that the power limit (watts) has been reached. In the case of my bike, it's bumping up against the 500w limit, well before it's reaching 85Nm. So I'm draining the battery at the maximum rate, well before maximum torque is reached.

My point is that there are so many variables that it's dangerous to make blanket statements. But the implication that increasing torque does not increase battery usage is hørseshIt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles