EP8 walk assist speed - possible to adjust?

Julz

Jan 20, 2022
Innerleithen
Hi
does anyone know if it’s possible to adjust the walk assist speed on an EP8 and if so, how to do it?
On steep tech sections, it’s sometimes too fast.
thanks

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I find it too fast at times also. It doesn't change with the gears like the older system did.
I found this in one of the Shimano docs:
When walking the bike up a mountain trail, intelligent walk assist automatically adjusts drive unit output torque to keep the
bike speed at 2mph no matter which gear ratio is used.
I'm surprised that it's 2mph, it feels faster, but it's probably right because when you need walk mode it's steep and technical and 2 mph is fast.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When in walk mode, it's the bike that drags me up the hill. But I have been changing gear, until now I hadn't realised that the walk mode was "intelligent" and was defeating my efforts. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The EP8 walk mode is great. Don’t try and ‘walk’ with the bike, as Steve says, let the bike drag you up the hill. Literally hang off the handle bars and let the bike pull you up, it makes a huge difference

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How come you are now the ‘Wedding Crasher’ Steve and no longer the ‘Wizard” ?
I have no idea who hands out these names, but I suspect the Moderator. I don't know why I was initially called "The Wizard". I didn't enquire at the time of the change because I assumed it was driven by the number of posts, like it used to be on the now defunct MBR Forum.

But I do know why my Forum name was changed to the "Wedding Crasher". In April this year, at a family wedding in Australia, completely sober, I fell from a tall stool and stretched my length on a concrete floor. The bride was a paramedic and it seemed that half the guests were in the medical profession as I was mobbed by people offering help. It caused quite a stir at the time. For the rest of the day and well into the evening, I was plagued by people I didn't know asking me (or worse, my wife) if I was OK "after my fall". FFS! I did not "have a fall", I tripped over my stool, I had an accident! "Having a fall" is what happens to old people. I thought the Forum would be entertained by this little story and I guess that the Moderator decide that this needed commemorating in some way. :rolleyes:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I saw a setting to change the power/character of walk assist in stunlocker. I had no reason to change it but I'd be interested to hear what the different setting does.

I was thinking the same thing as you when I first read this thread. I wanted to confirm my recollection and perhaps elaborate, so I went down to the garage and sync'ed up. I could indeed see the setting for walk assist, but couldn't figure out how to change it. Since it was already set to what I think is the most powerful setting, I didn't worry about it.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
The EP8 walk mode is great. Don’t try and ‘walk’ with the bike, as Steve says, let the bike drag you up the hill. Literally hang off the handle bars and let the bike pull you up, it makes a huge difference
That's OK on smooth ground but on the usual steep loose climbs round here the rear wheel spins away. This is very limiting in this part of the country as it makes walk assist pretty useless. 2.8mph is just too fast on steep ground unless you're an athlete which I'm not.

Out of desperation I've been considering adding a second magnet from a mangled rotor. This would halve the assist speed of the bike but would make it more usable on mountains.

Anybody have any better ideas?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles