Tire liner (Cushcore) saved me from a very long walk home this evening

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I was about 10km up the mountain away from the car this evening when I noticed I had a flat, and then further inspection revealed a crack rim. I had a CO2 cartridge with me, so popped in some air, but it didn't hold. Without Cushcore I'd have had a long walk back to the car, and probably wouldn't have made it back before dark.

If you're thinking of getting a tire liner, I'd say don't hesitate. Totally saved me this evening. And being able to limp home with no air in the tire is only one benefit of a tire liner.

IMG_7035.jpg
IMG_7036.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Damn dude.

you had to hit something super hard and/or were running stupid low tire pressure.
Run 20-22 PSI. I did hear a loud noise from the rear, so I know when it happened. I just hoped it was a stone flying up and hitting something...

It was on a trail called "Neds" out here on the North Shore in Vancouver. Very rocky - well known for people getting flats... and the occasional broken rim... I've been riding the trail for years, and it's actually the first time the trail has damaged the bike. It's damaged me a few times tho!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yeah I'd read that they give you the option of riding back out to the car. When I burped my tyre couldn't get it pumped up on the trail I rode for a few metres on my cushcores but then decided It's not worth risking damaging the rim. If my rim was broken like yours it would have been a different story.
Did it toast the cushcore though?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I got a flat and rode home on cush core no probs .
Just took it easy and avoided rocks and roots . Alloy rim didn`t show any wear and tear .Cush core was fine .

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Yeah I'd read that they give you the option of riding back out to the car. When I burped my tyre couldn't get it pumped up on the trail I rode for a few metres on my cushcores but then decided It's not worth risking damaging the rim. If my rim was broken like yours it would have been a different story.
Did it toast the cushcore though?
It didn't. As per @Rosemount I took it real slow getting back to the car. Which was still much faster than walking. Even if it did toast the Cushcore it would have been worth it vs navigating/walking in the dark in the woods/mountains. We have bears here who are looking to stock up before hibernation haha.

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
The only problem with Cushcore - getting the damn tire off! Had to remove the cassette for extra leverage. Then when I get another rim - getting the damn tire back on!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
The only problem with Cushcore - getting the damn tire off! Had to remove the cassette for extra leverage. Then when I get another rim - getting the damn tire back on!
Are you running DH or DD casings? After the initial installation I find it only a few more minutes manipulating to get the tyres off & on. That's with exo casings though.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Def buy the cush core tyre lever as well .
Not much chance of breaking the bead off the rim trailside without one . Makes getting the tyre off at home a helluva lot easier too !

0701822997607CushCore-Bead-Dropper-Tyre-Lever01-600x1500.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Meh, I ran EXO at a bikepark all I could find. I think people are running too low pressures regardless of the casing. Running low 20s is only fine for a Sunday cruise in my opinion. Even a 5mph hit on a curb would kill a wheel at 20/22
Bike park flow/jump trails or very rocky/rooty trails like we have out here in BC? I don't know a single person out here running EXO apart from XC riders. Most of the "regular" riders are on EXO+ and the big mama ebikes and DH bikes are on DH casings.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes getting them sometimes is the problem. Always seem to be sold out over here. I was surprised to learn taht some riders prefer the poppiness of them over the damped feeling of the DH & DD. That lost co video on youtube about maxxis casings & grip etc is quite informative.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I've been running Cushcores now over a year and I have hard time to understand how and why some people have problem with them. I've never had single issue. For me cushcores add at max 30s per tire additional work when changing tires.

The material is so soft that it can't have any effect on dropping the bead.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
And I can’t find any damn DD casings because the effin ebikers are bullying all of them to do long seated rides like a bunch of old hens that could be done on gravel bikes.
Haha! I stocked up at the beginning of the year - especially for our gnarly gravel trails ;)

I've had some Magic Mary and Big Betty Super Gravity on order from Germany for a few months now. They are hoping they will be in stock end of this month. Looking forward to trying those out next.

@Hamina happy to read about some tips on getting the darn things on and off with Cushcore. Any YouTube links? Or maybe its just the Kendas that I'm currently running that make it so hard to break the bead.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I was about 10km up the mountain away from the car this evening when I noticed I had a flat, and then further inspection revealed a crack rim. I had a CO2 cartridge with me, so popped in some air, but it didn't hold. Without Cushcore I'd have had a long walk back to the car, and probably wouldn't have made it back before dark.

If you're thinking of getting a tire liner, I'd say don't hesitate. Totally saved me this evening. And being able to limp home with no air in the tire is only one benefit of a tire liner.

Glad to hear you made it back to your car alright.
My buddy and I ran into you just at the end of Ned’s.
Man that rim crack is significant. Couldn’t agree more with your assertion of how good CushCore can be.
Cheers!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Glad to hear you made it back to your car alright.
My buddy and I ran into you just at the end of Ned’s.
Man that rim crack is significant. Couldn’t agree more with your assertion of how good CushCore can be.
Cheers!
What a coincidence. I was up there again on the other bike yesterday evening. No dramas this time.

New rim coming next week. No problems with the warranty claim.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Meh, I ran EXO at a bikepark all I could find. I think people are running too low pressures regardless of the casing. Running low 20s is only fine for a Sunday cruise in my opinion. Even a 5mph hit on a curb would kill a wheel at 20/22
Agree. Most of my riding crew run 17-18F and 21-22R. LBS recommend 25F and 28R. Ride may be a little harder, but I ain't gonna roll a tyre off the rim or damage a tyre as easy as my mates. Incidentally I'm riding a Giant Trance with original Maxxis tyre size. Mates mostly Specialized.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles