Tire Pressure with Cushcore

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have been running a tubeless setup for a couple of years now and had varying degrees of success keeping my tires inflated to the pressure that feels right on the trails. The tires don't seem to lose air during a usual 3-4 hour ride but the next time I ride, they are noticeably softer. I am using Cushcore Pro inserts front and back on DT Swiss E511 rims. I recently bought a tire gauge and was surprised to find out what my preferred pressure was while using inserts compared to no inserts or tubes. I am also questioning if the gauge is reading properly when using inserts (Boyle's law) or do the inserts create a seal around the rim which might lead to different tire pressures that without inserts. Has anyone else found they used more or less air pressure after installing inserts?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
My Merida has a cushcore in the rear, my Rail and my analogue Enduro both have Rimpact (regular). I run Rimpact regular in the front of all my bikes.

I've settled on 20/22 F/R as my go-to pressures now, about 5 psi less than I used prior to inserts. Lots of grip, seems to roll well, and damps out the small stuff. I'm not a super aggressive rider, but I borrowed a Rimpact to try in the front of my Merida about 18 months ago and I really like how it quietens down the front of the bike. Not really sure how to describe it any better, but it removes the chatter and improves grip in corners, especially over roots.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have cushcore pros on the rear of 3 DH bikes now.
after install less pressure will feel the same (by hand squeeze test) as more air w/o the CC pros due to the reduction of volume and sidewall support. Riding hard in to berms and G-outs tho you can feel it still if you’re running less pressure.

So I consider cushcore as just rim protection and run the same pressures to match my riding.

enduro / nothing crazy dh22/25
DH 25/27
Freeride 30/35 or more
That’s with me at 210lbs

I’ve ran CC in front tires but removed them because I don’t see the need at all. I’ve ran the World Cup DH trail in Leogang and lenserheide but I don’t think I’ll ever have the speed to need it there and personally think it’s just marketing to get people to run it on the front.- my .02c
Thanks for your info. I am not sure what you mean when you say you use different tire pressures for enduro/DH/Freeride as I generally run the same tire pressure (F18/R20 @ 200lbs) for all the trails I ride (I will add a few more PSI for jump trails compared to tech trails). For instance, what do you consider Freeride (which is what I classify my style of riding) as that seems like a lot of pressure compared to DH (racing DH?).

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Tire pressure is measured in pounds per square inch or PSI, and different cycles have their own ideal measurements. The PSI range changes based on tire width as well.
Thanks Brother John for necromancing this thread. I totally agree with you that different bikes have different ideal measurements. I think though that it's very vulgar to say that tire pressure is measured by some propietary unit as PSI. I would like to encourage you and your country to move to international SI-system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles