Crashed, helmet saved me.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Had a crash last night down hill on hard compact chalk and flint. Was in a 4x4 rut and clipped the side. Smacked my head so hard it split my helmet. Badly bruised shoulder and strained my hip.
Does make you realise on hard compact flint and chalk tracks how much damage can be done falling off.
I have now bought an armoured top Bliss and a new lid.
what is funny about it is that i had a trapped a nerve in my back for last 6 weeks. The impact on the opposite side of my body has instantly stopped my lower back pain that ran down my leg. Result!.

A88EA9E9-4C30-48F7-94CD-D55FFF88CC66.jpeg

BA8D4985-D394-4E9E-8406-D0F233FD99CB.jpeg

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
You should thank yourself for crashing, lets you get rid of that helmet, it must be over 10 years old!? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, how old is that? Ive not seen one like that for a good long while.

Worth noting helmets should be replaced every 5-10 years (industry recommendation, take with pinch of salt), even if not crashed on. Potential for glues to become brittle or fail etc. and could come apart under impact and not give decent protection. I put a hammer through mine once they get older, stops me being tempted to use. Ive had a commuting lid (obviously seen a lot of daylight) peel apart with only a light impact.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from the two helmets I have now (Bell Super and Met Parachute FF), I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned.

That MET looks like one I had when I first started mtb in 2008. It lasted until half way through the first ride after my first MTB lesson! :ROFLMAO:

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
That helmet certainly saved you from a serious injury (y)
I personally would save it to show my step granchildren just how important they are.
I tried falling off earlier this year, but it didn't do anything for my back :rolleyes::unsure::ROFLMAO:

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
You should thank yourself for crashing, lets you get rid of that helmet, it must be over 10 years old!? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, how old is that? Ive not seen one like that for a good long while.

Worth noting helmets should be replaced every 5-10 years (industry recommendation, take with pinch of salt), even if not crashed on. Potential for glues to become brittle or fail etc. and could come apart under impact and not give decent protection. I put a hammer through mine once they get older, stops me being tempted to use. Ive had a commuting lid (obviously seen a lot of daylight) peel apart with only a light impact.

The helmet is 18 month old. I have ordered a Roam now.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Apart from the two helmets I have now (Bell Super and Met Parachute FF), I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned.

That MET looks like one I had when I first started mtb in 2008. It lasted until half way through the first ride after my first MTB lesson! :ROFLMAO:

You can laugh, but it worked and that at the end of the day is all that matters. Its 18 month old. Road biased helmet.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Really!? Wow, ive not seen a MET like that for years, i looked on their site and cant see it either. Oh well, apologies, learn every day.
Yep, I bought it from my local cycle shop, at the same time I bought my emtb. August 2019 to be precise, They had quiet a few like that.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
You'd think with all those handy red and blue lines on the floor and a nice clear "X" to show you where not to bang you head, it would have been easy !
No. He is in Canada. They drive on the wrong side of the road there, so the red cross is where he is supposed to fall off and bang his head.

Orinoko

Nov 10, 2020
Stroud
A friend spent an afternoon tweaking his bike then thought he’d give It a spin up the estate to check all was good,no helmet needed.Result,6 weeks in a coma but now recovered thankfully.
Just shows,they work.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I assume he didn't want to damage the rock so he left it on.
White rocks are snow, black rocks are hard. I never added any more fluid to the creek, but just the thought of the rear brake on the left side of the bar can stain the back of my panties. ?. When another MTBer found me (who knows how long), my shoes were thoroughly washed in the creek. My rescuer had no idea where he was either. His first time here. Great. X-rays showed broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken clavicle (90% displacement), but my modelling career and MTB future is a go. Any brain injury I may have received says “drive on the right.…or-else”. Bell and my LBS replaced the helmet for $0. Free medical here too. ??
So if you want a new helmet you know what to do. ?

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@Stihldog Was it you or your bike that took the moss of that boulder in the left of the pic?
Oh wow. I hope that wasn’t me. I have a feeling I only polished and massaged the rocks in the creek. Bike was fine??
I just came back from there and fixed it up a bit. I consider moving those rocks part of my Physio therapy. I’ve seen two other OTB in the same spot in the past year. The red and blue lines on the floor must have washed away?

Last edited:

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I was sorting through my old bike gear and found my "brain basket" I bought in 1970. It was required for races but provided no real protection. The theory was that it would keep your head from catching on the pavement and increase the injury to the neck. Along those lines the latest bike helmets like my Bell Z20 have the MIPS feature ( "MIPS stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System, which is a leading slip-plane technology inside the helmet designed to reduce rotational forces that can result from certain impacts"). There are two separate helmets with a bonding agent between the inner liner and the outer shell and in a crash this agent is supposed to allow the outer shell to move independently of the inner liner which is strapped to the rider's head.

In all my years my only crash was when I rounded a turn and the highway folks had laid down inches of new gravel. It took me a few seconds to be flat on the ground. I know I have missed serious injury numerous times but I try not to push my luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles