The ultra mtb shoe?

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I have the Shimano GR7 in black/red. I like it, especially the elastic cuff around the ankle that stops sand/dirt getting in, i hate that feeling so much when theres crap in your socks.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I have the Shimano GR7 in black/red. I like it, especially the elastic cuff around the ankle that stops sand/dirt getting in, i hate that feeling so much when theres crap in your socks.

these shoes like the GR9 might be good for narrow feet but too tight for me, very skin tight and around the side and top the material is very thin, it’s not the greatest for burly terrains I don’t think

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Yes I noticed a bit tight on one of them near my little toe on the side. I have that problem with a lot of shoes though and generally after wearing them in a bit it resolves itself.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Thanks mate, me and a friend just spent a few hours trying to hunt five tens down...I did noticed the freerider pro have the best grips of the five tens we saw,even compared with the normal freerider, the profile is wider and just grips so much better, the pins just fall into place instantly but grip the same.

TBH I was looking for trailcross pro mid or impact pro mids but cant find them in the shops at all......I've been seriously considering using Approach and Mountain Bike Shoe Repairs and Resoles | LSR to convert goretex hiking boots into mtb boots as you can get goretex hiking boots for less than £100 and probably have a higher grade shoe overall thats waterproof.

But, your info is really great and I'll try to order some of the ones your recommending, its easy to test the grip I found walking around with a pedal and using the floor!

ps how did you get the five ten leather? Reason I was looking at trailcross was to get a better grip off the bike...
I believe the 5tens I have are Freerider but I can't find an image on line of the mid version I have only the low version. Possibly now discontinued and replaced with trailcross. Image of low version below. I am normally a size 8-8.5 but even though I got these in a nine they are a narrow fit so if it is cold wearing thicker socks is useless as there is no insulating air gap apart from the taking ages to dry scenario. 1603701037674.png
I contacted LSR and tried on 2 occasions to get stealth rubber onto an existing pair of boots I have and every image I sent them of 3 different pairs of walking boots they came up with reasons they could not do it. Should not be a problem with a new pair I imagine. Hope this helps

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Could I trouble you for a sizing recommendation, I'm 10.5 /10.7 heel to toe on the Vaude
I am usually an 8-8.5 depending on make of shoe. With the 5tens even a 9 is tight. With the Vaude boots I ordered a size 9 based on my experience with the 5tens and there is plenty of room for thicker socks or sock liner then sealskins for the really wet and cold rides. I would say go up at least half to 1 full size from your normal size. Wearing them over the past few months with normal socks the feet do not move around so they can be used all year round.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
The guy who made the video has had a very different experience to me. I love mine and I never thought I would find a shoe that I preferred to my shimano’s.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I just made an interesting discovering with regards to grip,
8796B789-3239-4F7D-A0B0-BE7C5076A72E.jpeg

on the left is a Chester pedel the right a DMR, I was out yesterday and a chap offered a deal on the DMR so I bought it thinking I’d send the Chester back (btw this is the pedel ‘fooker’ stole the design from and built a cheaper copy of, don’t buy fooker would be my advice)

7D972DCC-4372-411B-BFF1-A1A187928BC9.jpeg

So this is the Shimano GR9

I place the DMR to the sole and it didn’t grip at all, I’d have to push in to make that happen and spread the profile around but the Chester just sunk in nicely....

Ive watched countless reviews on all shoes now with the bench mark being five tens and at times they dismiss alternatives. Maybe it’s just that actually non dotty profiles need ‘compatible’ pedals/pins. If I’m right here then be nice to see reviewers test the shoes with the right pins at least.

The GR9 with the Chester is incredibly grippy, as tight as the five tens but I’d have to test on the bike to know for sure.....with the DMR pins being thicker it feels just awful!

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
I just made an interesting discovering with regards to grip, View attachment 43005

on the left is a Chester pedel the right a DMR, I was out yesterday and a chap offered a deal on the DMR so I bought it thinking I’d send the Chester back (btw this is the pedel ‘fooker’ stole the design from and built a cheaper copy of, don’t buy fooker would be my advice)

View attachment 43006
So this is the Shimano GR9

I place the DMR to the sole and it didn’t grip at all, I’d have to push in to make that happen and spread the profile around but the Chester just sunk in nicely....

Ive watched countless reviews on all shoes now with the bench mark being five tens and at times they dismiss alternatives. Maybe it’s just that actually non dotty profiles need ‘compatible’ pedals/pins. If I’m right here then be nice to see reviewers test the shoes with the right pins at least.

The GR9 with the Chester is incredibly grippy, as tight as the five tens but I’d have to test on the bike to know for sure.....with the DMR pins being thicker it feels just awful!
Interesting although I have superstar evo one 1 bike and pedal innovations pedal on other and do not find any difference in grip with Vaude even though platform size and pin placement and size is different on both pedals

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Interesting although I have superstar evo one 1 bike and pedal innovations pedal on other and do not find any difference in grip with Vaude even though platform size and pin placement and size is different on both pedals
Might be the vaude groves are wide enough for both? Could you test to see if the just slot in by hand without needing force? I could be wrong and the pins just push in ‘eventually’ with force, maybe even work out better somehow.

Im curious if this is actually important or just smoke ?

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Might be the vaude groves are wide enough for both? Could you test to see if the just slot in by hand without needing force? I could be wrong and the pins just push in ‘eventually’ with force, maybe even work out better somehow.

Im curious if this is actually important or just smoke ?
Never considered the shoe pedal interaction without bodyweight pressure and movement as never really thought why I should .
So placed 5ten on both pedals and shoe slips around easily, apply pressure and it sticks.
Placed Vaude on both pedals and on the pedalling innovations large platform sticks like glue, pins just slot into spaces on tread. On the Superstar Nano Evo slight movement but again apply some pressure and foot not going anywhere.
This could develop into a deep hole as factors such as pedal design whether convex or concave both have a different effect on shoe contact.
This is most in depth pedal review I have come across Vital MTB Face Off: The Best Flat Pedals
While this youtube video actually goes into pedal design and shoe grip

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Never considered the shoe pedal interaction without bodyweight pressure and movement as never really thought why I should .
So placed 5ten on both pedals and shoe slips around easily, apply pressure and it sticks.
Placed Vaude on both pedals and on the pedalling innovations large platform sticks like glue, pins just slot into spaces on tread. On the Superstar Nano Evo slight movement but again apply some pressure and foot not going anywhere.
This could develop into a deep hole as factors such as pedal design whether convex or concave both have a different effect on shoe contact.
This is most in depth pedal review I have come across Vital MTB Face Off: The Best Flat Pedals
While this youtube video actually goes into pedal design and shoe grip
Awesome cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Some shoes definitely play better with some pedals, I have a fair few shoes, one of my favourites being some Spesh 2fo's in terms of comfort, but they are not the grippiest, and only really work well on a very concave pedal with narrow pins - they are crap on a set of One Ups for example, the sole is quite stiff so you need a pedal with a proper concave to get them to settle in to the pins.

I find it doesn't matter what the pedal shape is, if it has stubby pins I dont like it, I want smaller diameter longer pins.

Part of what makes the One-Up pedals so good, despite them going against conventional thinking design wise, is the pins are like daggers. You can see in the attached picture the tip of the pin is almost like a flat head screwdriver/bradawl

I have tried so many pedals now (I am a pedal whore) but I keep going back to HT, they have the basic shape nailed, and the pins spot on. Currently riding these HT ANS08 Leap having previously used the ANS01. The best pedal I have, slightly bigger body than the ANS01 and they are just right, grip well with all my shoes, lovely shape that locates the shoe well (some pedals only feel right if you have feet in an exact position, e.g for me Burgtec's) and not too chunky for pedal strikes etc. They are one of the more obscure pedals in HT's line up and took me a while to track some down.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 20.45.13.png

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 20.46.29.png

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 20.46.36.png

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 20.46.48.png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So guys what room do you leave in a shoe? I’m ignoring sizing and measuring with a tape like here, it’s about 11 1/2 even though the shoe size is 11....my foot measures at about 10 3/4.....so if half an inch more that would be 11 1/4 meaning I’m out by 1/4?

or do people work to + 3/4 etc?

hard to judge without a proper field test

3FE1BC08-68C6-474A-90DD-C4523475E096.jpeg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Some useless info:

Five ten trailcross mid size 11:
11 3/4 inner
12 3/4 outer

felt nice on, there’s more than 1/2 in room but felt doable, I have my big socks on already. Maybe 10.5 would be perfect for me although the risk of being tight.

shimano GR9 size 12 (46)

11 3/4 inner
12 1/4 outer

the boa no lace system is fantastic, I have a size 45 on the way (well 1 week off) the profile seems perfect for smaller pins, the stubby ones on the DMR are wider than the recesses.....maybe it doesn’t matter but I guess it would, the smaller pins slot on the Chester pedals feel like it was designed for this boot! In fact the narrow pins are sticking to this better than any of the five tens....

five ten freerider pro size 11

Inner: 11 1/2
Outer: 12 1/2

Probably the closest fit for my feet

Etnies Jameson size 11
Inner 11 3/4
Outer 12 1/4

curious one these feel quite snug and solid on, shop near me swears by these but I can’t get the pins to stick and beat gravity using my little turn upright method and seeing them still sticking with much satisfaction!

Impact pro mid size 11.5
Inner 12
Outer 13

Vaude AM Moeb mid STX size 10.5 (45)
Inner 11
Outer 12.5

Last edited:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Recently bought some RC Powerlines as I couldn't get any 5 10 Impacts and love them. Plenty of grip on my flat pedals (v12) and very comfortable on and off the bike. Got a deal on the black ones at Alpine with an additional intro discount

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Some shoes definitely play better with some pedals, I have a fair few shoes, one of my favourites being some Spesh 2fo's in terms of comfort, but they are not the grippiest, and only really work well on a very concave pedal with narrow pins - they are crap on a set of One Ups for example, the sole is quite stiff so you need a pedal with a proper concave to get them to settle in to the pins.

I find it doesn't matter what the pedal shape is, if it has stubby pins I dont like it, I want smaller diameter longer pins.

Part of what makes the One-Up pedals so good, despite them going against conventional thinking design wise, is the pins are like daggers. You can see in the attached picture the tip of the pin is almost like a flat head screwdriver/bradawl

I have tried so many pedals now (I am a pedal whore) but I keep going back to HT, they have the basic shape nailed, and the pins spot on. Currently riding these HT ANS08 Leap having previously used the ANS01. The best pedal I have, slightly bigger body than the ANS01 and they are just right, grip well with all my shoes, lovely shape that locates the shoe well (some pedals only feel right if you have feet in an exact position, e.g for me Burgtec's) and not too chunky for pedal strikes etc. They are one of the more obscure pedals in HT's line up and took me a while to track some down.

View attachment 43036

View attachment 43037

View attachment 43038

View attachment 43039

before I return my current pedals and get new could you check this to see if you’ve these too? Best mountain bike flat pedals for 2020: metal and plastic - MBR

Or bergtec mk5s my local shop swear by.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So after some research you shoe should be like a glove and your toe space closer to the toe box, max 1/2 inch room I’d say which rules out a lot of my size 11 shoes. They don’t need to offer as much room as a normal shoe as there better supported and break in over time but the important thing is your heel shouldn’t have any room to move, if that happens and you can lift it up it’s no good and will rub! So in my experience I think you buy true to your foot size....if your 10.5 then buy 10.5, all the makes operate more accurately based on this logic from my measures

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
16610CF3-04F4-4D4C-82BB-6BDAEF687B3E.jpeg

This is all because not a single site can be assed to run a tape measure and just give accurate measures like I did earlier on in the dimension bit I posted, if we’re keeping under 1/2 inch then it would be too easy to order only one pair! Okay I’ll open a shoe store next!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
View attachment 43186

This is all because not a single site can be assed to run a tape measure and just give accurate measures like I did earlier on in the dimension bit I posted, if we’re keeping under 1/2 inch then it would be too easy to order only one pair! Okay I’ll open a shoe store next!
You're the Imelda Marcos of the MTB world ..

marcos.jpg

Though I suspect there might be several members who have more shoes than you ... How come your gearzilla channel isn't full of shoe reviews ? Do you have ugly feet ? :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Aren't there any e-specific shoes ? What's going on in the world ?

Something with bluetooth which connects to the bike and measures foot pressure and then beeps and flashes to tell you you're at optimum cadence and force in relation to the motor. You know, something ridiculous ! :) Or they link with the bike so it only works if you have those shoes on and then leaves you stranded when they get wet and stop working .. Perfect.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I've just bought a pair of these, I'm sure they'll be fine.

View attachment 43192
Like that, he like, it’s a boot! There’s pedals, fkin ride goddamit!!!

That Vibrams not as good as five tens from what I read but sure it will do a good job still, looks a great boot like

I nearly but a full on goretex boot for £100 to go convert and use for riding and hiking.....still tempted ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Vaude (who are they you might ask?) shoes turned up today, a pig to get on/off compared to five tens but a solid shoe, I might end up keeping this one.

The impact mids came too, annoyingly I just measured and the sizing is the same as most the other shoes where you just + 1/2 inch on top of your actual foot size and it will be alright. Reviews all over screamed about broken sizing, more like broken tape measures....so I can’t keep any of these as I orders 11 1/2 which measures inside as a 12....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Only trouble is the one shoe that fits has this weird little defect like the sole has been bent over! Otherwise it’s fab....a lot lighter than the Impact and I’ll be able to double up as a decent hiking boot, it’s waterproof too....

So now it’s down to the GR9 vs the freerider pro, I’ll have to bike test them all I think

478B3664-2203-4132-B3D1-B9D19B2F04F0.jpeg

A5EE94C3-4F5E-44C5-A8C5-97822029201F.jpeg

7791F2EF-7D64-4098-9DAD-1387E24CEC70.jpeg

EEC0DE1D-A7FC-482D-82E0-60D213AB59AF.jpeg

B7EBAD3E-6579-4D9D-BBA7-496091A93062.jpeg

7D53A358-0C8D-4CB3-836B-E571FBA73A7E.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles