The ultra mtb shoe?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Not an easy thing to pick getting the best mtb flat shoe but heres the best resource I found in the end, using this and some youtube reviews I've highlighted a few options:

3df14121aa365aee6b676db4af8fefee.png

79d381e7e2837bc36c44433e14227d36.png

3d82df117172431db31f537667bdc29b.png

Interesting to see the top picks being:

Editors choice: Shimano GR9
Best value: RC Livewire
Best DH: RC Powerline

Best five ten they said was the Freerider Pro.

Its worth just looking to what you really need and just checking to see which is the best deal you can get, there all going to be great for riding with end of the day compared to trainers:

Five tens

Freerider Pro MTB Shoes (2019) - The above recommended these as the best five tens, no mention of the below trailrider though. I have read though from other sources the Freeriders are the ones to get.....
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trailcross-lt-mountain-bike-shoes/EE8889.html - low bulk, lightweight and versatile, quick drying
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trailcross-xt-mountain-bike-shoes/FU7542.html - mid range has neoprene cuff (mid top?)
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail-cross-mid-pro-mountain-bike-shoes/EF3010.html - (D30 ankle pads high top?)
Five Ten Impact Pro Mid Core - Black and Red - more for DH/enduro

RC concepts
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ride_c...ZaySZmwqGIjVnCko9Wni8xBFoAByuYaRoCHOwQAvD_BwE - D30 sole and ankle protection, rated as best for DH in the above report, other places also advising the same.

Abit of dry a bit of wet:

For wetter weather (according to some reports):

Shimano GR9 Flat Pedal MTB Shoes Exclusive 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles - waterproof

Giro Riddance poor reviews

Other mentions:

Northwave Enduro MID MTB Shoes 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles - look a great all round, grip must be excellent im sure, someone here said sole was hard and little feel, trade off for protection perhaps if that’s the case?

etnies.com UK JAMESON MID CRANK - nice lightweight shoe, some prefer this to the five tens saying there better gripping
O'Neal Pinned Pedal Black/Neon Yellow £49.99 similar concept to Etnies but £50!

Last edited:

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Maybe it's a bit out of scope, but isn't it a slight problem with these lowcut skateboading shoes that your socks and ankles get wet? Is the magic in socks? Like sealskinz etc?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve recently purchased some Shimano GR9s for winter riding, so far very happy with them, comfortable and stick to the pedals well.
What size are you? I’m 10.7 ish but the 44 was too small and the 46 too big (not tried big socks yet)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
What size are you? I’m 10.7 ish but the 44 was too small and the 46 too big (not tried big socks yet)
I'm size 8 eu 42 and find the GR9's a bit on the snug side for wearing with Sealskins. In contrast size 8 5.10 Freeriders feel a bit on the large size. They are just about OK but if I was buying again I would go half a size up with GR9's and half a size down with Freeriders.

Al

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
I’ve recently purchased some Shimano GR9s for winter riding, so far very happy with them, comfortable and stick to the pedals well.

Could you hazard a guess as to the width fitting of these?

Ive got a buggered right foot and can only squeeze my mutant hoof in a (very) wide shoe.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm size 8 eu 42 and find the GR9's a bit on the snug side for wearing with Sealskins. In contrast size 8 5.10 Freeriders feel a bit on the large size. They are just about OK but if I was buying again I would go half a size up with GR9's and half a size down with Freeriders.

Al
So if I’m a 10.5 size you’d got for a 10 in five tens? I’m looking at the trail cross pro with the ankle protections.
I think this is possibly a contender for ultra shoe Five Ten Trailcross GORE-TEX® Mountain Biking Shoes but can’t buy it

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford

Ive got a buggered right foot and can only squeeze my mutant hoof in a (very) wide shoe.

I would say they are a narrow show, I've got average width feet and the lace flap is snug

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK

They are neither as wide nor as flexible as 5.10 Freeriders. Because they are stiffer it's difficult to judge the width. Having said that the velcro only just reaches the other side but then I have a high arch. My comments on my sizing are the best indicator.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Thanks @ndy & JoeBlow. In carlbikers list at the top it says they are narrow too. I’d best avoid them then.

The Five Ten Freeriders fit me just fine but the Freerider Pros don’t.

Might just get some of them Endura shoe covers I think.

Cheers fellas.?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thanks @ndy & JoeBlow. In carlbikers list at the top it says they are narrow too. I’d best avoid them then.

Cheers fellas.?
You will need to go very big with those. I bought the ones recommended for up to size 8.5, M-L, and I can't get them onto a size 8 shoe of any description.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Cheers fellas.?
I’m having a hard time with the 44, I measure 11 and a bit inch on the inside so for my 10.5ish feet should be fine but they are so tight and very thin on the top to my dismay, I can see a few impacts with rocks not going so well with these on. Like I can see my foot bulging out....No way I’d get sealskinz to work, I’ve a 45 on the way but still the thin issues hmmm.....I’d love the five ten trail cross pro gtx (goretex) but you can’t buy these anymore

might try some five ten trail cross pros out... I think they size up 1/2 by sounds so I’ll aim for an 11

I might also order some RC powerline they look to have excellent d30 protection in various spots and still be sticky on the 4.0

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Maybe it's a bit out of scope, but isn't it a slight problem with these lowcut skateboading shoes that your socks and ankles get wet? Is the magic in socks? Like sealskinz etc?
Yes and yes and yes. For me, socks are the key. My freeriders have held up well, but drink water quickly.

I bought Sumade socks on Amazon at a reasonable price, and good quality. The pair I have are very warm, and super thick.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I suspect the Endura overshoes will be waterproof but that's not really what I was looking for as I don't ride in the rain. I wanted something that kept puddle/mud splashes at bay and could be easily wiped down after a ride. The Shimano GR9's and Sealskin socks meet that criteria. If you know anyone with say size 6 shoes I could be persuaded to sell the overshoes. ;) They are still as new.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Have a pair of 5ten leather mid. Advertised as water resistant and warm due to aluminium insert. Rode with them last year and have to say they are not warm and when they get wet take about a week to dry, also narrow shoe.
A few months ago I bought a pair of Vaude AM Moab Mid STX . Held off giving my opinion until I had ridden them in different conditions.
I have now ridden them in dry, sloppy mud and pissing rain rides and have to say they grip as well if not better than 5 tens but equally important is their grip off the bike in slippy conditions is much better than 5tens. They are comfortable proper fitting shoes. They are described as waterproof and like all waterproof gear the water will eventually get in but when it does they are dry the following day.
They are not easy to find in UK and are not cheap but having owned Shimano, Teva as well as 5tens these are the best flat pedal shoes I have owned.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Have a pair of 5ten leather mid. Advertised as water resistant and warm due to aluminium insert. Rode with them last year and have to say they are not warm and when they get wet take about a week to dry, also narrow shoe.
A few months ago I bought a pair of Vaude AM Moab Mid STX . Held off giving my opinion until I had ridden them in different conditions.
I have now ridden them in dry, sloppy mud and pissing rain rides and have to say they grip as well if not better than 5 tens but equally important is their grip off the bike in slippy conditions is much better than 5tens. They are comfortable proper fitting shoes. They are described as waterproof and like all waterproof gear the water will eventually get in but when it does they are dry the following day.
They are not easy to find in UK and are not cheap but having owned Shimano, Teva as well as 5tens these are the best flat pedal shoes I have owned.

Thanks mate, me and a friend just spent a few hours trying to hunt five tens down...I did noticed the freerider pro have the best grips of the five tens we saw,even compared with the normal freerider, the profile is wider and just grips so much better, the pins just fall into place instantly but grip the same.

TBH I was looking for trailcross pro mid or impact pro mids but cant find them in the shops at all......I've been seriously considering using Approach and Mountain Bike Shoe Repairs and Resoles | LSR to convert goretex hiking boots into mtb boots as you can get goretex hiking boots for less than £100 and probably have a higher grade shoe overall thats waterproof.

But, your info is really great and I'll try to order some of the ones your recommending, its easy to test the grip I found walking around with a pedal and using the floor!

ps how did you get the five ten leather? Reason I was looking at trailcross was to get a better grip off the bike...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
4ec66e5aa9420158a8d0442f1929d2af.png

Here is freerider vs freerider pro....I was in the shop earlier sticking my pedal onto both and the Pro version with more space was noticeably better at getting the pins in and locked in just as well but were grippier on the ground too......just in case anyones thinking of doing a conversion job....I'm not sure how good the conversion guys 5 10 version is however

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Could I trouble you for a sizing recommendation, I'm 10.5 /10.7 heel to toe on the Vaude

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
I have northwave clans and shimano shoes both with the excellent Michelin soles. I wanted a bit more protection for winter riding so I went for the RC TNT shoes and I love them. They stick brilliantly to my Burgtec Penthouse pedals and the D30 sole inserts make them very comfortable on rocky descents.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I have northwave clans and shimano shoes both with the excellent Michelin soles. I wanted a bit more protection for winter riding so I went for the RC TNT shoes and I love them. They stick brilliantly to my Burgtec Penthouse pedals and the D30 sole inserts make them very comfortable on rocky descents.

I started to think these TNT looked really good but this chap did a review

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles