Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Product Image:
490FF97D-5687-4A4A-AE41-AF6CD0721270.jpeg

Product name: Fox Union MTB Flats
Price paid: 90
Score (out of 10): 7

Review: My good old faithful Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes have finally worn through the sole.

My default was to just replace them with the same, however I started reading reviews on the Fox Union shoe (mostly positive).

So I had a pair delivered.

I went out on my first ride tonight. They fit true to size (unlike the tens) and are comfortable. Seem to be fairly water resistant, hard wearing and the sole seemed ‘grippy’ if not ‘hard’.

They were fine on the smooth flowy stuff but they were not as grippy as the ten on the rocky fast sections. My feet came off a couple of times, luckily I seated them pretty quickly though.

I think they have been built for durability rather than super sticky grip. I’d rather a shoe that doesn’t last but grips like ****.

Not sure if I should give them another go or sell them and get a new set of Five Tens.

Hmmm.

Ps. I did get 2 KOMs at Llandegla on them 😂

IMG_6284.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Product Image: View attachment 122756

Product name: Fox Union MTB Flats
Price paid: 90
Score (out of 10): 7

Review: My good old faithful Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes have finally worn through the sole.

My default was to just replace them with the same, however I started reading reviews on the Fox Union shoe (mostly positive).

So I had a pair delivered.

I went out on my first ride tonight. They fit true to size (unlike the tens) and are comfortable. Seem to be fairly water resistant, hard wearing and the sole seemed ‘grippy’ if not ‘hard’.

They were fine on the smooth flowy stuff but they were not as grippy as the ten on the rocky fast sections. My feet came off a couple of times, luckily I seated them pretty quickly though.

I think they have been built for durability rather than super sticky grip. I’d rather a shoe that doesn’t last but grips like ****.

Not sure if I should give them another go or sell them and get a new set of Five Tens.

Hmmm.

Ps. I did get 2 KOMs at Llandegla on them 😂

View attachment 122757
For me grip is the most important thing and nothing beats 5:10 for that. If you want something more waterproof and warmer for winter use the 5:10 EPS is a good bet, especially the boot version. They are leather which I treat with wax and that makes them completely waterproof.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
For me grip is the most important thing and nothing beats 5:10 for that. If you want something more waterproof and warmer for winter use the 5:10 EPS is a good bet, especially the boot version. They are leather which I treat with wax and that makes them completely waterproof.
Yes made a mistake. Think I might go back to old faithful.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have a couple pairs of the Fox Unions and really like them. A good all-round shoe the grips well and is comfortable. I have a pair of high-top 5 tens I use at bike parks and really like Ride Concepts for enduro riding. Another shoe I was impressed with that reminds me a little of the Unions is the Specialized 2FO Roost.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles