The Thron Thread

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Soo who's got the Thron?

I ended up deciding to go for the Thron because it was my first mountain bike and i wasn't sure how much i was going to get into MTB. I felt that the slightly less aggressive position (seated more upright) would be a bit more jack-of-all-trades as i can use it for just riding around the streets also instead of going for the Jam which would be more suited for off-road riding.

Originally i was wanting to just buy an e-bike with the whole covid thing going on, i was looking at all these 'hybrid' e-bikes with the front fork and rear pannier racks, but then as i went further down the rabbit hole i started to get sucked into full suspension.

Originally, i actually pre-ordered the Focus Jarifa hardtail e-mtb, and i swapped it out to the Thron on an impulse because i wanted the extra comfort offered by the full suspension.

But now that I've had it for a while (and worked through some initial kinks!), i've been really enjoying riding it off-road on trails. Just green and blue stuff.
I keep having thoughts like ohh i wish i got the Jam it has more suspension would feel more plush etc but i think a lot of that is just misplaced internet hype about how much suspension you need. For the things i ride, i think the Thron is probably better suited to me then the Jam. I'm riding a pretty even mix of gravel/tarmac/green and blue trails, so i think its perfect really for what i'm riding. And then in a couple years if i feel i am becoming under-biked i can sell the Thron and get something else with a bit more suspension.

It was a bit of a headache at the start, my bike had some problems (it was shipped with the FSA G4 34t megatooth chainring, which is an 11 speed chainring (doesn't support 12 speed). Also the shifter was faulty and i had a lot of brake rotor rubbing noise (against the springs actually! Not the pads, had to bend the springs out a bit). So my new bike experience was pretty crappy, but now that its sorted i've really been able to enjoy it. I've had it for about a year now.

In terms of upgrades, I went for the 6.9 model because i really wanted the Fox suspension, really glad that i did. I replaced the saddle because the stock one is so firm it violated me :oops:, I went for the Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime and i cant sing enough praises for it. I replaced the handlebar grips with Ergon GA-3. Swapped out the handlebar for PNW range KW with a bit more backsweep. Swapped out the dropper lever for PNW Loam Lever (feels amazing). Pedals i went for RaceFace Chester composite pedals. I purchased an AVS-Racing motor bash guard which looks really nice, and is much lighter then i thought it would be. Swapped out the super long 170mm cranks for 155mm Hope e-bike cranks (bit expensive, they are optimized for reducing peddle strikes and have much less overhang past the pedal compared to the stock FSA ones). The bash guard + the short cranks make for much more confident ride through techy uphill stuff. The short cranks also make the ride feel more comfortable for me, i really like how it changes the feel of the bike. I switched the kiox mount for a KTM Kiox mount to get it off the stem and out of the way so its a bit more protected. I put a Proguard Bolt-on front mudguard on the Fox fork to stop sand flying up into my face, it also protects the stanchions from getting dirt on them. And the last thing i swapped out was the stem cap, i installed the Oneup EDC Lite stem tool, which lets you store a little multitool right in the stem for easy access.

When it wears out, I'm planning on swapping out the front wheel to something with a bit more grip to try to help make up for the lack of weight over the front wheel while going uphill because of the less aggressive riding position. Probably going to get a Maxxis Minion or Dissector.

I've also got 2 things on pre-order that haven't been released yet. That is the DT Swiss 'Ratchet LN' upgrade kit for the rear hub. It changes out the internals of the hub from a 3-pawl engagement system to the famed 'ratchet' engagement. If you do this upgrade make sure you buy the correct Ratchet LN kit (make sure you get the 'Hybrid Steel' version), because its made for e-mtb and its more beefier, it also comes with a 24t ratchet compared to the standard 18t.

I've also pre-ordered the new Shimano Linkglide drivetrain (XT 11 speed). It is a new drivetrain made for EMTB specifically. The durability of the cassette is much higher (lasts 3-5 times longer). It has much smoother shifting with less pedal shock, so changing gears when going uphill will become a much more pleasant experience without hearing those loud clunks from the cassette and the shock through the pedals.

Would love to hear about other peoples experiences with the Thron, what they use it for, how the geometry compares to other bikes, what your thinking about upgrading etc etc.

Last edited:

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I bought the Thron last summer as a commuter bike but felt it offered the option to have some fun at the weekends or on the way back from the office. It was the first time I'd been on a bike in 20+ years and the first full suspension bike I'd ever ridden.
Still waiting for the office to reopen so I've only had the option to hit the trails and I'm now completely hooked.

I did have a time earlier this year where I was contemplating changing the bike for something more aggressive, but I've decided to go down the route of upgrading so I can get a better idea what each of the individual components adds to the feel of the bike.
I also do lots of riding with my young family (lots of towing) and I will need it to commute at some point, so for me the Thron hits a sweet spot.

I will most likely swap the front fork at some point and reading your comments about the shorter cranks might be something I would like to try.
Would be great to see some pics of the Thron with your various upgrades.

I think at some point I will probably upgrade to something more aggressive, but 'm more than happy with this bike for now.

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
Hi!
I've started with some upgrades ?
I got a 6.8 eqp last year. Really wanted proper mudguards, and not some flimsy plastic. It seams like the plastic mudguards are better now than some years ago. Also internet makes it easier to find what you're after. But i didn't know that when i bought it, and i also wanted a to proper carrier.

I got the new sr suntour auron 35 on order, i will start at 140 mm and see how it works with the bike. It will support my alu mudguard?

I got a bit bummed when i found that i got 23 mm rims, on my bike. Even my wife have 25 on her focus aventura eqp. Other throns got 30mm, if i remember correctly.
Got new 30 mm rims to support my new big betty and magic mary 2.4. I have been running some 2.3 the last year and they have been fine on 23, but the hard sidewall on big betty supergravity, seams to fit better on 30 mm.

Cheers

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
What are you thinking of swapping out the fork for?

Still undecided... there was some discussion around fork upgrade options on this thread:

I got the new sr suntour auron 35 on order,

Would love hear how you find the auron 35 @Thrön2 ? How long do you have to wait until they arrive?

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I considered swapping the 130mm fox Rhythm fork on mine for something with the tiniest bit more suspension but I think it could impact the bikes geometry too much in a negative way given how upright it already is.

I think at this point Ive upgraded enough stuff on this bike lol. I'm just going to continue using it for a year or two and if I'm still as keen as I am now, then I could look at selling it and replacing it with something a bit more aggressive, if that's where it takes me.

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
Still undecided... there was some discussion around fork upgrade options on this thread:

Would love hear how you find the auron 35 @Thrön2 ? How long do you have to wait until they arrive?

After getting answer next week, after already a 3 week delay, i got this answer yesterday:

The shipping has been delayed on these items and we are looking at a delivery time of 4 weeks.
All forks are presold at this time and we don’t expect the next batch of forks until Sept, 2022.
..end.

I guess I'll wait it out. At least i have a new fork for next season. Winter comes early in my area in the northern hemisphere.

But yeah, sold out until next year?, go suntour!

I forgot in my last post, I put on new pedals and a dropper.
Will try out a new shimano breake lever with servo on the rear.

The fork is ok, and I don't think about the "only XC" anymore. I had i down pretty ruff stuff, and as long as i don't go down rb hard line, i think it will keep up?

I hope the new fork will be better to handle multiple hits, and I look forward to change between low/high speed.

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback
Soo who's got the Thron?

I ended up deciding to go for the Thron because it was my first mountain bike and i wasn't sure how much i was going to get into MTB. I felt that the slightly less aggressive position (seated more upright) would be a bit more jack-of-all-trades as i can use it for just riding around the streets also instead of going for the Jam which would be more suited for off-road riding.

Originally i was wanting to just buy an e-bike with the whole covid thing going on, i was looking at all these 'hybrid' e-bikes with the front fork and rear pannier racks, but then as i went further down the rabbit hole i started to get sucked into full suspension.

Originally, i actually pre-ordered the Focus Jarifa hardtail e-mtb, and i swapped it out to the Thron on an impulse because i wanted the extra comfort offered by the full suspension.

But now that I've had it for a while (and worked through some initial kinks!), i've been really enjoying riding it off-road on trails. Just green and blue stuff.
I keep having thoughts like ohh i wish i got the Jam it has more suspension would feel more plush etc but i think a lot of that is just misplaced internet hype about how much suspension you need. For the things i ride, i think the Thron is probably better suited to me then the Jam. I'm riding a pretty even mix of gravel/tarmac/green and blue trails, so i think its perfect really for what i'm riding. And then in a couple years if i feel i am becoming under-biked i can sell the Thron and get something else with a bit more suspension.

It was a bit of a headache at the start, my bike had some problems (it was shipped with the FSA G4 34t megatooth chainring, which is an 11 speed chainring (doesn't support 12 speed). Also the shifter was faulty and i had a lot of brake rotor rubbing noise (against the springs actually! Not the pads, had to bend the springs out a bit). So my new bike experience was pretty crappy, but now that its sorted i've really been able to enjoy it. I've had it for about a year now.

In terms of upgrades, I went for the 6.9 model because i really wanted the Fox suspension, really glad that i did. I replaced the saddle because the stock one is so firm it violated me :oops:, I went for the Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime and i cant sing enough praises for it. I replaced the handlebar grips with Ergon GA-3. Swapped out the handlebar for PNW range KW with a bit more backsweep. Swapped out the dropper lever for PNW Loam Lever (feels amazing). Pedals i went for RaceFace Chester composite pedals. I purchased an AVS-Racing motor bash guard which looks really nice, and is much lighter then i thought it would be. Swapped out the super long 170mm cranks for 155mm Hope e-bike cranks (bit expensive, they are optimized for reducing peddle strikes and have much less overhang past the pedal compared to the stock FSA ones). The bash guard + the short cranks make for much more confident ride through techy uphill stuff. The short cranks also make the ride feel more comfortable for me, i really like how it changes the feel of the bike. I switched the kiox mount for a KTM Kiox mount to get it off the stem and out of the way so its a bit more protected. I put a Proguard Bolt-on front mudguard on the Fox fork to stop sand flying up into my face, it also protects the stanchions from getting dirt on them. And the last thing i swapped out was the stem cap, i installed the Oneup EDC Lite stem tool, which lets you store a little multitool right in the stem for easy access.

When it wears out, I'm planning on swapping out the front wheel to something with a bit more grip to try to help make up for the lack of weight over the front wheel while going uphill because of the less aggressive riding position. Probably going to get a Maxxis Minion or Dissector.

I've also got 2 things on pre-order that haven't been released yet. That is the DT Swiss 'Ratchet LN' upgrade kit for the rear hub. It changes out the internals of the hub from a 3-pawl engagement system to the famed 'ratchet' engagement. If you do this upgrade make sure you buy the correct Ratchet LN kit (make sure you get the 'Hybrid Steel' version), because its made for e-mtb and its more beefier, it also comes with a 24t ratchet compared to the standard 18t.

I've also pre-ordered the new Shimano Linkglide drivetrain (XT 11 speed). It is a new drivetrain made for EMTB specifically. The durability of the cassette is much higher (lasts 3-5 times longer). It has much smoother shifting with less pedal shock, so changing gears when going uphill will become a much more pleasant experience without hearing those loud clunks from the cassette and the shock through the pedals.

Would love to hear about other peoples experiences with the Thron, what they use it for, how the geometry compares to other bikes, what your thinking about upgrading etc etc.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your upgrades. I got my Thron2 6.7 about 2months ago and enjoying it allot. I initially wanted to get the Jam2 but with the pandemic at large I was looking at ~3months for shipping. With that side, I have been really pushing my Thron on trails, it's been holding up pretty well - mostly fire trails blue and a few blacks, though it is bit heavy and bulky for blacks.

I have been contemplating selling next year and upgrading to a top end JAM2 model but at the same time wondering if I could achieve the same result by just upgrading my Thron2 over time. Ideally I would like to upgrade shocks to 150mm from the current 130. The upgrades you have done are interesting and has got me excited to try similar ones. Look forward to hear how you go with the Linkglide upgrade.

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your upgrades. I got my Thron2 6.7 about 2months ago and enjoying it allot. I initially wanted to get the Jam2 but with the pandemic at large I was looking at ~3months for shipping. With that side, I have been really pushing my Thron on trails, it's been holding up pretty well - mostly fire trails blue and a few blacks, though it is bit heavy and bulky for blacks.

I have been contemplating selling next year and upgrading to a top end JAM2 model but at the same time wondering if I could achieve the same result by just upgrading my Thron2 over time. Ideally I would like to upgrade shocks to 150mm from the current 130. The upgrades you have done are interesting and has got me excited to try similar ones. Look forward to hear how you go with the Linkglide upgrade.

I've been looking into getting a bigger shock as well?.
When the frame/shock is fully compressed, its still plenty of space between the rear wheel and the frame.
With a length of 190mm, i only found one rs shock with a 51mm dampening, which can give some more dampening than the mounted one (originally 45 on the thron).

The jam2 and thron2 have quite similar frames. The linkage on the jam2 is higher, and seams to also fit in throns frame. Now..how to get a jam linkage??

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback
I've been looking into getting a bigger shock as well?.
When the frame/shock is fully compressed, its still plenty of space between the rear wheel and the frame.
With a length of 190mm, i only found one rs shock with a 51mm dampening, which can give some more dampening than the mounted one (originally 45 on the thron).

The jam2 and thron2 have quite similar frames. The linkage on the jam2 is higher, and seams to also fit in throns frame. Now..how to get a jam linkage??

Which RS shock did you single out? can you link me to it please?

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback

I think this one (might be a newer version too..)

I like it, I think I will try it out - thanks for sharing!

Have you found anything for the front?

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback
There are fox alternatives also.. FOX Float DPS Performance 3-position EVOL LV Rear Shock - 190x51mm

I will take off my shoch and measure before I hit any buy buttons.

Funny, I just came across that one too - it's a bit more expensive though.
The Fox Float EVOL 190/51 is used on the top end Thron2 model (the 6.9 version)

I think this would be the better option considering focus themselves are using it on the top end model.

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
Funny, I just came across that one too - it's a bit more expensive though.
The Fox Float EVOL 190/51 is used on the top end Thron2 model (the 6.9 version)

I think this would be the better option considering focus themselves are using it on the top end model.

After inspecting the specs..It's the 190/45 version they use on that model.

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway

Gunsbuns

Jun 19, 2021
Sydney
Does anyone know if the thron can be set up as a mullet? I bought a large for the wife and the standover is at the upper end of comfort so was thinking of putting a 27.5 at the back to drop the bike a fraction. The stack and reach is fine, just the standover

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire

A glimpse of what we may see next year perhaps....

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway

A glimpse of what we may see next year perhaps....
I remember seeing that. Nice to see they put in a fork with 42 mm rake. My new one is 44, original, 51. If i notice any difference, guess not ?

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
Does anyone know if the thron can be set up as a mullet? I bought a large for the wife and the standover is at the upper end of comfort so was thinking of putting a 27.5 at the back to drop the bike a fraction. The stack and reach is fine, just the standover
Do you(she) have the stem as high as possible? Or get a new stem, shorter/steeper, seat further back? Guess you have tried some of my tips. Maybe offset bushings? Guess it will work with a mullet, but then you might want to change the crank arms too. I wanted to give it a go on the mullet idea this fall, but with microsoline in the back its hard to find a 27 super cheap.

Gunsbuns

Jun 19, 2021
Sydney
Do you(she) have the stem as high as possible? Or get a new stem, shorter/steeper, seat further back? Guess you have tried some of my tips. Maybe offset bushings? Guess it will work with a mullet, but then you might want to change the crank arms too. I wanted to give it a go on the mullet idea this fall, but with microsoline in the back its hard to find a 27 super cheap.
She’s fine on the bike it’s just the standover when she dismounts. The top tube is a bit ….uncomfortable ?so I thought that maybe a lower rear wheel would drop the tt a bit and decrease standover

Thrön2

May 3, 2021
Norway
She’s fine on the bike it’s just the standover when she dismounts. The top tube is a bit ….uncomfortable ?so I thought that maybe a lower rear wheel would drop the tt a bit and decrease standover
Sorry, I misunderstood. But i agree, I think the standover is a bit high too.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I remember seeing that. Nice to see they put in a fork with 42 mm rake. My new one is 44, original, 51. If i notice any difference, guess not ?

I received an email from Suntour yesterday to say they had two Auron35 back in stock, so I ordered one of them. o_O
Hopefully it will arrive quickly so I can use this winter :)

Do you think the rake will make much difference? Everyone I've asked about this seems to think it won't be an issue.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else finds their Thron is a bit noisy on the trails? Most of the noise is coming from the chain bouncing on the chain ring (i think).

I get the rattle from the motor when descending rough terrain (not peddling) but can't say I've noticed any other noise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles