Levo SL Gen 1 The Reason for delay in 2023 Levo SL...(and various other discussions on lightweight bikes......)

BeBop

Jan 16, 2018
Euroland
Here you will find what is being live listed in stocks.

There's am insane amount of unsold Levo SL stocks showing on Specialized UK website alone. I added stocks until I reached the stock limit of each bikes. Got bored adding more bikes to basket. I can only imagine how much unsold stocks there is right now in a worldwide. This was only a small selection of the complete rang of bikes.

I think there will be lots of unhappy dealers if a new bike was announcede soon.

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 16.33.49.png

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 16.34.04.png

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Is that an insane amount? What is a normal amount of unsold stock at this point in a product cycle?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Meanwhile, in Australia - any color you like so long as it's a red carbon - one L or XL in nsw and queensland. Tough luck for the rest of the country.

So this new SL had better be good !!!!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
There’s so many better lightweight bikes out now, they’re basically going to have to give those away. I know one of the local shops close to me did a major discount on the ones they had in stock just to get rid of them, he said they took a pretty big loss. They’re a smaller shop and the space they were taking up was more important to him.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a bit crazy really .

It's still the same bike it was ! It's not degraded, dissolved. The main difference is marketing BS. Admittedly Spesh are one of the worst for pushing that, so you could argue they're victims of their own success :)

The Levo SL thread was one of the most active threads there ever was. The bike still pulls 300w from the battery - pretty much the same as any of the other bikes in the "lightweight" category. Yes, the quoted torque is less, but for all bikes that varies through the cadence range. It's a smaller motor than a FF, there is no magic. Efficiency of motors and batteries hasn't changed/improved.

For 99% of the people buying them, they'll still be amazing, more reliable than most of the competition, better service and backup than most of the competition. Yes, the motor's not silent, but hell, not everyone who buys an e-bike is worried by some whine.

Everyone will want the new one with more torque .. but you use that, you have less range .. so we have 100 threads about how cool everyone is that they only use their NEW SL2 only ever on Eco ! Then they start with the threads wanting a lighter lightweight as they get back with 50% battery .

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

It's still the same bike it was ! It's not degraded, dissolved. The main difference is marketing BS. Admittedly Spesh are one of the worst for pushing that, so you could argue they're victims of their own success :)

The Levo SL thread was one of the most active threads there ever was. The bike still pulls 300w from the battery - pretty much the same as any of the other bikes in the "lightweight" category. Yes, the quoted torque is less, but for all bikes that varies through the cadence range. It's a smaller motor than a FF, there is no magic. Efficiency of motors and batteries hasn't changed/improved.

For 99% of the people buying them, they'll still be amazing, more reliable than most of the competition, better service and backup than most of the competition. Yes, the motor's not silent, but hell, not everyone who buys an e-bike is worried by some whine.

Everyone will want the new one with more torque .. but you use that, you have less range .. so we have 100 threads about how cool everyone is that they only use their NEW SL2 only ever on Eco ! Then they start with the threads wanting a lighter lightweight as they get back with 50% battery .

<Yoda> Begun, these torque wars have... /<Yoda>
The marketers have thrown around torque ratings to entice those who don't know any better, like the horsepower wars of the 60s. *Torque does not equal power*! Torque times rpm equals power and a 240 watt motor with 45 NM will produce the same power as a 240 watt motor with 90 NM but at twice the rpm.
Spesh did themselves no favor by giving the other marketers the 35 NM figure to aim at (and beat), even if it has little to do with how the bike performs. If our bikes had one gear or if we were all slow cadence pedalers it might be a bigger deal.
Note to Spesh: next time don't make the same mistake. The Levo SL is a great bike, poorly marketed.

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van
Makes sense. Based on convos I’ve have with various dealers on both sides of the border, the US us overstocked, and while Canada is pretty bare, they have a couple containers stuck at the port…

Hoppy

Nov 1, 2018
Washington

So your saying the Fazua Ride 60 setup will perform in the real world not much better than the Levo SL motor? I was hoping for 65% of the FF Levo motor from the Ride60. Yes you would have to be careful with the increased power since only 430wh battery.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

And still doubles your own power, isn't that enough?

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
<Yoda> Begun, these torque wars have... /<Yoda>
The marketers have thrown around torque ratings to entice those who don't know any better, like the horsepower wars of the 60s. *Torque does not equal power*! Torque times rpm equals power and a 240 watt motor with 45 NM will produce the same power as a 240 watt motor with 90 NM but at twice the rpm.
Spesh did themselves no favor by giving the other marketers the 35 NM figure to aim at (and beat), even if it has little to do with how the bike performs. If our bikes had one gear or if we were all slow cadence pedalers it might be a bigger deal.
Note to Spesh: next time don't make the same mistake. The Levo SL is a great bike, poorly marketed.

I can add to the discussion my direct experience, having a Rise H, and riding usually with my brother that has a Kenevo SL. Off course there is a difference between the performances of the two motors but the magnitude of this is related also to the Rider input and kind of terrain.

The difference in terms of torque is very evident IF the rider input ( watt pushed on pedals) is very week, the cadence is low and if the uphill is very steep.

If the rider is able to push at higher cadence and the terrain isn’t extremely steep, the difference in power output is very limited. Maximum power output for the EP8 RS is 350 watt and 300 watt for the Kenevo SL. ...I'm not able to drop my brother, and we weight the same, and we have a similar FTP power.

If the cadence drops and the style of pedaling shift in the "Passive mode" the Rise still push forward at a decent speed while the Kenevo SL drops immediately the momentum. Much better in the situation of very technical and steep single track especially if unknown..

If the style of the rider is in the "XC Racer" mode, the gap is very limited, if is more voted to touring this difference in torque is quite noticeable.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I’ve got a 2018 Kenevo and have recently bought an H30 Rise, mainly to have something with much greater range than my Kenevo, which I still enjoy riding. Last week whilst in the UK I hired a Levo SL. I was impressed, it felt even more like an analogue bike than the Rise (SL was a carbon model), maybe also because it was a size small (my other bikes are mediums). Really lively and so easy to jump. Only criticism was the ever present whine of the motor. Whilst waiting for my mate on the same bike, I could hear his bike before it came into view! TBH it didn’t feel any less powerful than my Rise, especially at lower cadence so the 35 torque and 65 torque figures for the two bikes are misleading. The cut off when one stops peddling is very abrupt and sensitive. A slight reduction on pedal pressure cuts the motor and feels like someone has put the brakes on. Otherwise, a great bike.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I find the whine is awful on that SL motor I was wondering if the Performance Bearing upgrades might improve it at all? I’m tempted by the KSL because of flying options but the SLs are hardly flying out of the shops.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
They’re not selling because it’s dated, especially with the geometry. Everyone that wants one is waiting for the updated version with the more powerful motor and new geo.
And that is why the majority of us, including myself wouldn’t even buy the $10,500 expert model at half price today. The question I have is what’s going to happen to all this left over stock, because not much of it is going to be sold? The market went from not being able to find an SL in stock to not being able to sell an SL.

Last edited:

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels

Finally some common sense in this topic. I was losing hope after reading the first comments...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Is it actual possible to buy an ep8 and all the stuff to make it work?!
There’s an aftermarket company making motors that are a direct replacement for the EP8, can’t remember the name but I saw them on EMBN. It was a company from Italy if I remember correctly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles