Levo SL Gen 1 The Reason for delay in 2023 Levo SL...(and various other discussions on lightweight bikes......)

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I find the whine is awful on that SL motor I was wondering if the Performance Bearing upgrades might improve it at all? I’m tempted by the KSL because of flying options but the SLs are hardly flying out of the shops.
It's the straight cut gears that cause most of the whine with the SL motors. It is more efficient than a helical cut gear but more noisy, it's also more compact than the belt drive used in the Brose motor.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
And that is why the majority of us, including myself wouldn’t even buy the $10,500 expert model at half price today. The question I have is what’s going to happen to all this left over stock, because not much of it is going to be sold? The market went from not being able to find an SL in stock to not being able to sell an SL.
That sounds a tad dramatic. As mentioned, there are still no Levo Sls or Kenevo SLs available in my area. If all people are concerned about is a little extra torque, a little quieter motor, or a slight change in geometry and are willing to wait for the next generation LSL or a try to buy a Trek Fuel EXe, which has less suspension and is not available, please help me understand why anyone would spend "double the price" to get that? Considering I would probably have to make some changes to any new bike I could buy, we are very happy with our Levo SLs for the trails we ride. YMMV.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
That sounds a tad dramatic. As mentioned, there are still no Levo Sls or Kenevo SLs available in my area. If all people are concerned about is a little extra torque, a little quieter motor, or a slight change in geometry and are willing to wait for the next generation LSL or a try to buy a Trek Fuel EXe, which has less suspension and is not available, please help me understand why anyone would spend "double the price" to get that? Considering I would probably have to make some changes to any new bike I could buy, we are very happy with our Levo SLs for the trails we ride. YMMV.
Dramatic, or possibly just stating facts from what I read and what people on these forums want. The first Ebike I ever rode/ demoed was the SL and it took the pressure off my knees just enough that it had me grinning with excitement. It was enough power for me and I almost bought one 3-4 times even as the Rise came out. Even with max inseam/legs for my height, I still had to slam the seat all the way forward, so I personally had a taste of the dated geo that in the end made me purchase a Rise instead for this one reason. In the end, I still would have been happy with the SL, but the newer Geo of the Rise is almost identical to my Ripley, so why back track. Yes it’s worth paying more for me to get a bike with the latest technology and Geo, but if money is an issue then go with what your budget allows. Then again they won’t be discounted 50% off, so it’s a moot point.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Did a weekend in Wales in summer mate borrowed a riding buddies SL & I was on my Rise, we were riding up BPW & did similar range on battery & he is bit heavier than me but fitter. Second day rode FOD both red & blue in trail mode & mate had to use boost to keep up with me in trail, had a quick go on SL is nice but but deffo more trial orientated than my Rise but then mine running a coil & 160mm his is standard 150mm with Fox34

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
Here you will find what is being live listed in stocks.

There's am insane amount of unsold Levo SL stocks showing on Specialized UK website alone. I added stocks until I reached the stock limit of each bikes. Got bored adding more bikes to basket. I can only imagine how much unsold stocks there is right now in a worldwide. This was only a small selection of the complete rang of bikes.

I think there will be lots of unhappy dealers if a new bike was announcede soon.

View attachment 96374
View attachment 96375
thats not the reason...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There’s an aftermarket company making motors that are a direct replacement for the EP8, can’t remember the name but I saw them on EMBN. It was a company from Italy if I remember correctly.
In time you could also go the intradrive route :

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
id say the levo sl was generally a flop , had difficulty selling mine , was the only bike one could get through he crazy bike demand covid times !

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Analog or full fat.
SL is a gateway with all the downsides and limited power/range.

I and everyone I ride with has zero interest in them other than the weight. They will creep up in weight to satisfy the more power crowd, but will always be out gunned for the small increase to FF.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Specialized's US website shows full price for the Levo SL with limited models/colors/sizes available. I understand it is the worst bike ever (I like mine) with the crappiest geometry (mine is good) and a useless motor (mine has enough power) and every other bike is better (I still like mine) so Spesh better bring out a greatly improved one before they go bankrupt but in the meantime instead of waiting I will be on the trail enjoying my comp/aluminum. :)

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I find the whine is awful on that SL motor I was wondering if the Performance Bearing upgrades might improve it at all? I’m tempted by the KSL because of flying options but the SLs are hardly flying out of the shops.
I would be interested for PLBs opinion on the SL motor and possibilities of making it more powerful. I’ve read that one of the reasons it is light is because quite a lot of the innards are plastic which would not cope with much more power. Also, the heat management may not cope. So, are we talking about a completely new motor, or at least an upgraded motor, which inevitably will be heavier. Comparing the SL with the M series carbon Rise is fine, as both have similar size batteries and range. The H series is a different beast, with a much bigger (and I guess) heavier battery and greater range. What is good is we now have a choice between really lightweight (with some disadvantages of lack of power and range), lightweight, heavy lightweight (Rise H series) and full fat. We just have to decide which type of bike suits our riding the best. Maybe we will end up with a ”quiver” of bikes (I’ve got three very different bikes!) for different riding conditions and moods.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
SL is a gateway with all the downsides
I understand it is the worst bike ever (I like mine)

I think I'm jealous.

SL owners (the ones who made the right choice for them) must be the happiest people on the planet.

They must literally go through life buying shit things and loving them ! :)

Can you imagine it. Whenever they shop for anything, the thing they want is always on discount.

Male or Female, they're never single and always have their perfect partner and never get cheated on.

They goto restaurants and the food they want is always available, even when they arrive late.

Wherever they go on holiday, it's never crowded.

Lucky b4stards !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Analog or full fat.
I'm still lost with this attitude ?? I must have some severe mental issue where I can't only see that my view is the only view that matters.

So basically, an SL is just a heavier analogue bike ?? With no advantages over an analogue bike at all ?

It's a "gateway" ? Like it's some beginners toy bike, before they become real men and buy a big heavy manly bike with a a big motor, huge battery and massive balls (bearings?) So they can stand together with the other men and sneer at the toy bikes and analogue bikes ?

Obviously I respect that you know what works for you. What your friends know works for them. I know I'd love to have an SL but I think I'm just too dammed lazy knowing how much effort I'd have to put in to climb 2000m without the lazy dude (sorry, big man) assistance option.

It's weird that they have limited power/range. Who would think that some people don't actually want full power, but only need 300w and maybe never rode their FF in anything but Eco ? How ridiculous that such people could exist on the same planet and claim to have the same passion ! Who would think that all the lightweight bikes all have range extender options, so their owners can actually have more range when they want it - without having that weight penalty all the time ?

The next thing you know they'll make bikes which don't all have 180mm suspension ! They might even have like DH bikes and Enduro bikes and Trail bikes and even stupid things like gravel bikes and road bikes ?

It's utter madness that anyone would buy one and like it. How dare they !

You read this sh1t and then wonder why analogue bikers complain about ebikes - because they're "DIFFERENT" - How can people want something different to ME !!

Lets face it . Who would have an FF bike. It's just a gateway to a 2000w power/battery EMTB or even an electric motocross bike.

(I still don't want one).

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Probably rode my SL more than any other of my ebikes, the best range from any bike I have had and the range extender was reasonably priced.

‘I now have a Fuel EXe and it’s a better bike for my type of riding.

B4A7BA28-EBC3-49E5-BE8E-6E6581AD58DC.jpeg

972B700D-153A-4ED0-BE42-46F2ACAE1942.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Probably rode my SL more than any other of my ebikes, the best range from any bike I have had and the range extender was reasonably priced.

‘I now have a Fuel EXe and it’s a better bike for my type of riding.

View attachment 96632

View attachment 96633
It looks sh1t. ;)

Obviously you've not been able to sell it and never will, so I'll give you a rabbit pelt for it (You might have to source the rabbit pelt locally for me, you Aussies can be funny with bringing garden things into the country) .You'll also have to pay for my flights to and from Aus to collect it, airport pickups, food, accommodation - These are desperate times !

I've never been to Perth. Excellent, new bike day and a new destination - The Levo SL just keeps on giving :)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Interesting, who makes this frame ?

It is under development in China and a collaboration between several carbon builders so it will probably show up around the end of the year under a few different names. Bottom line is that there is little gap time between what the major players do and the clones that follow. Some hit the mark but most miss sadly. I am hoping that this will hit the mark and come in substantially cheaper and within the power/weight ratio of the to me outrageously expensive options being presented.

Obviously that is just an initial sample with a carbon front/alu rear but the final product will be full carbon.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
I think I'm jealous.

SL owners (the ones who made the right choice for them) must be the happiest people on the planet.

They must literally go through life buying shit things and loving them ! :)

Can you imagine it. Whenever they shop for anything, the thing they want is always on discount.

Male or Female, they're never single and always have their perfect partner and never get cheated on.

They goto restaurants and the food they want is always available, even when they arrive late.

Wherever they go on holiday, it's never crowded.

Lucky b4stards !
and...we are always where @BAMBAMODA dumps his chicks

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Analog or full fat.

I and everyone I ride with has zero interest in them other than the weight. They will creep up in weight to satisfy the more power crowd, but will always be out gunned for the small increase to FF.

The opposite is true for most of the SL riders I’ve spoken to, the FF is their gateway to cycling nirvana: the SL. I know a couple of hold outs that have gone straight to a lightweight, but all the other SL riders have gone via a FF and have no intention of going back.

For me it’s too soon to comment, but I suspect my FF will only stick around for full turbo power hour laps between meetings and the lightweight will be there for everything else.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I know it's a really really really sh1t bike.. But having just returned from a bike shop, there was an S-Works SL in there. I have to say, it did look really nice for a sh1t bike.

Probably the best looking bike in there.

@BAMBAMODA if you give me cash too, I might take yours off you :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles