The new 2020’s

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
Anyone have a list of companies that have announced their 2020 bikes? I decided today at LBS to wait for the 2020’s instead of buying a 2019 levo Comp. I loved it, but it’s not spec’d as good as some bikes and I’d like to see what the 2020’s deliver. I’d like to get the best of 2020. Not most expensive, but best platform for the money.
Thank you

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Specialized have always had way under-specced bikes per price point. Hard to tell what will be coming out as there are many models that have different kit depending on the local market. I know Scott is going to the new Bosch motor, replacing the Shimano but not sure of the other component specs yet. The owner of my LBS was up in Switzerland to view the new range and has pics for me to see when i get around to going there.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Lapierre has announced the 2020 bikes.
Strong lineup, with a rotated motor and a battery in front, a la Levo/whyte.
And also a rear biased weighed version, with the battery on top of the motor.

Haibike also does the rotated motor thing.

Other brand just use all the same configurations : horizontal motor ans battery in the downtube.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Anyone have a list of companies that have announced their 2020 bikes? I decided today at LBS to wait for the 2020’s instead of buying a 2019 levo Comp. I loved it, but it’s not spec’d as good as some bikes and I’d like to see what the 2020’s deliver. I’d like to get the best of 2020. Not most expensive, but best platform for the money.
Thank you

Check the Specialized section. We already have some news for 2020. To be honest, don't wait for higher components, as we previously said there: 2020 Specialized levo/kenevo rumors? - EMTB Forums

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I put a thread up in the Giant section about the 2020 models being shown on the Italian site already. I believe the Italian bike shows come first in the calendar. Nothing on the official UK site but my LBS has seen the 2020 bikes so presumably the trade have already been invited to closed-shop demos of their respective brands new models by now?

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Thank you

Specialized (almost, we are waiting for Kenevo)
Commencal
Lapierre
Moustache
Giant
Cannondale
Merida
Trek
YT

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If you want "the best platform for the money" that is IMO more likely to be a discounted 2019 bike, not a 2020 one. Current models have not been rendered obsolete overnight* - there are lots of good 2019 bikes out there from the likes of Canyon, YT, Vitus, Giant etc. Mostly the improvements on the 2020 models are aesthetic* more than functional, and in the case of the Levo it seems there are next to no changes at all, just pricing and specification tweaks.

* - With the exception of current Bosch bikes where I would say go for one of the newer models with the Gen 4 motor released in the past few weeks.

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Direct to consumer brand of you want the best bang for buck out of the box. Commencal, Canyon, YT, Thok, Propane etc... However, there is no best bike, there are just loads of great bikes!

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
I was holding out to see what the new KenEvo would be, or bite the bullet and get the top spec commencal. In the end nothing really blew me away besides the yt decoy and even then that was $12000 Australian dollars and a looooong wait.

In the end I purchased a runout Merida E160 900e for $6000Aud. That’s $4100 usd or 3700 euro! It ain’t the prettiest bike I’ve ever seen but man is it good! Top spec, nimble and just a lot of fun.

In summary, the technology has not evolved as much as I thought it would in battery/motor tech for 2020. A good deal on a 2019 model can be a great option.

I wonder when that game changing year will be?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I was holding out to see what the new KenEvo would be, or bite the bullet and get the top spec commencal. In the end nothing really blew me away besides the yt decoy and even then that was $12000 Australian dollars and a looooong wait.

In the end I purchased a runout Merida E160 900e for $6000Aud. That’s $4100 usd or 3700 euro! It ain’t the prettiest bike I’ve ever seen but man is it good! Top spec, nimble and just a lot of fun.

In summary, the technology has not evolved as much as I thought it would in battery/motor tech for 2020. A good deal on a 2019 model can be a great option.

Similar to what I did, there were prettier bikes to be had (Levo, Decoy) but they have their own drawbacks.

I think it will be incremental changes, with motor updates getting people most exited. Personally I’m waiting for a bigger Shimano battery and possibly an update to the E8000, that’s likely a little while off.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Looks like Shimano think the E8000 is sufficient for now and we'll see updates next year. I'm glad I got my Orange Surge.

As a forum we discuss weight vs. range/capability (actually it's a three way: weight, range/capability, cost - pick two) but it might drive a clearer split between the two flavours of eMTB (lightweight vs long travel bruiser). The way Specialized goes with the Kenevo, as their new model this year, will be interesting.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
The way Specialized goes with the Kenevo, as their new model this year, will be interesting.

Exactly. Hope to see the kenevo soon, probably in early September.
Don't forget Canyon must/will enter the game with an integrated battery model, but, once again, no news about it. I'm very curious to see what they will do.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

If the "rules" stay as they are then everyone's limited to 250w average, there's only so much that can be expected in terms of advancements.

They've been messing, one way or another, with electric motors for almost 300 years, with one of @Gary 's ancestors, Andrew Gordon and that little know chap Benjamin Franklin messing about with them.

Tweaks and some small design changes can make them ever so slightly smaller or more efficient. Or physical design changes, like bosch, to make them lighter. TQ has lots of power, but to achieve that, it's heavier. If you use all he power, the range will be less.

Battery design is the most likely area of advancement, which will save space and weight. Improvements in "power density" - how much you can suck out of it quickly, won't really help as the motors aren't pulling that much. (In comparison to "energy density" - how much is stored). But even here manufacturers have to be careful to balance performance with longevity, reliability and security (at some point it will be flung against a rock by some muppet like me).

So all in all, yes, there's going to be changes, but it's unlikely there will be anything WOW.. like really WOW ! in the near future .. just perfecting what we have with slightly better efficiency, better power delivery and so on.

Oh hell, a sensible post. Sorry. wake up wake up ..

ok .. so I should say before 33red does, obviously the YAMAHA is 30 years ahead of any other motor and everyone else should just close up shop and give up.

Last edited:

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Thank you
Try being more specific otherwise all names pop up and that is no help.
Are you interested by traction? speed? light weight? budget in what currency?
Allways nice to have a LBS you trust, look the websites of their brands. Also in some area the importer/distributer is great or the opposite. Talk to riders in your area look at the popular bikes where you ride.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Try being more specific otherwise all names pop up and that is no help.
Are you interested by traction? speed? light weight? budget in what currency?
Allways nice to have a LBS you trust, look the websites of their brands. Also in some area the importer/distributer is great or the opposite. Talk to riders in your area look at the popular bikes where you ride.

Trout74 made his decision - and a bloody good choice at that!
First ride on my new Levo Comp. - EMTB Forums

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles