29's or 27.5's, realistically whats the biggest benefit's?

Martylaa

Dec 4, 2021
Wynyard
So looking throughout countless reviews and threads I'm still wondering what type of bike size wheel to go for, I'm not going to be doing anything extreme apart from local rides around Dalby/Hamsterley places like that?

Whats the pro's and con's on both from you guys?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The "accepted" wisdom seems to be that a 29er has better rollover whilst 27.5 is more manoeuvrable. I do wonder if most who promote that are a ctually more experienced on analogue mtbs rather than EMTBs though.
Firstly, I think you need to be a fairly long term and experienced mtb er to genuinely state that you would notice a big difference between the wheel options, especially when so much else about the bike is also an integral part of the way the bike performs.
Secondly, any difference between wheel sizes is going to be more apparent on certain types of terrain and the more radical and fast the ride the more likely most riders may feel a difference.
So tight and twisty singletrack may feel easier on a 27.5. Rough and rowdy descents may feel less aggressive and challenging with 29er wheels but harder to control.
I say may because what tyres are being run and at what pressure can also make a big difference in either scenario.

I have ( :cry: had) both a 27.5 bike and a 29er. Personally for longer adventure rides, flowing singletrack and relatively mild fast decents I would chose a mid travel trail biased bike on 29 wheels. For rough gnarly steep and/or techy descents I would chose a longer travel enduro biased bike on 27.5. You will note that my preference is contrary to how I described the potential/accepted wisdom scenarios a bove. And there lies the quandry!!
Others will of course have different preferences!.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
There really is no difference. Shit, the industry is so friggin confused on this issue itself it mixes the wheel sizes on the same bike. They even go so far as to put the smaller diameter wheel that theoretically would turn better on the back of the god damn bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
in the assumption that you are not coming from a 26er only background, then you have probably ridden one or the other. So choose the one you haven't ridden yet. It will not be a bad bike because of it, but you will learn something.

Then you might decide to choose both and go for a mullet, but you will know WHY.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
27.5 x 27.5 Fun, playful, manoeuvrable, slowest
27.5 x 29 Fun, less playful, less manoeuvrable, faster
29 x 29 Less fun, even less playful, good in a straight line but less manoeuvrable, FASTEST!

I've a Heckler and a Heckler MX. The Heckler is 27.5 x 27.5 and a really fun bike to ride. The Heckler MX is 27.5 x 29, it's faster than the other Heckler but it's not as playful and definitely not as manoeuvrable.

Above being said, any wheel confirg is going to work it's more about what's in your head as best and only you can speak to that ;)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I got a 29er ebike to see what the fuss was about , having had only 27.5 or 26 inch bikes up until that point. its definitely faster on most stuff I ride, but I prefer 27.5 inch wheels.

My next bike will be back to 27.5, assuming I can still buy such a thing without compromises elsewhere.

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY
The "accepted" wisdom seems to be that a 29er has better rollover whilst 27.5 is more manoeuvrable. I do wonder if most who promote that are a ctually more experienced on analogue mtbs rather than EMTBs though.
Firstly, I think you need to be a fairly long term and experienced mtb er to genuinely state that you would notice a big difference between the wheel options, especially when so much else about the bike is also an integral part of the way the bike performs.
Secondly, any difference between wheel sizes is going to be more apparent on certain types of terrain and the more radical and fast the ride the more likely most riders may feel a difference.
So tight and twisty singletrack may feel easier on a 27.5. Rough and rowdy descents may feel less aggressive and challenging with 29er wheels but harder to control.
I say may because what tyres are being run and at what pressure can also make a big difference in either scenario.

I have ( :cry: had) both a 27.5 bike and a 29er. Personally for longer adventure rides, flowing singletrack and relatively mild fast decents I would chose a mid travel trail biased bike on 29 wheels. For rough gnarly steep and/or techy descents I would chose a longer travel enduro biased bike on 27.5. You will note that my preference is contrary to how I described the potential/accepted wisdom scenarios a bove. And there lies the quandry!!
Others will of course have different preferences!.
I totally agree with your response.....and yes.....so much has been previously discussed.....best just choose one and figure it out after lots of miles

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
On my Levo SL, I rode for a few months with the initial 29/29 setup. It was fun and fast, but the bike felt less playful than my previous Pivot Mach6 with 27/27 setup. I attributed this to it being a completely different bike and left it at that. Then I swapped the rear for a 27" and rode the same sets of trails for a clear side by side comparison. For me, and this is what most of the above posts are telling you because it's unique to my riding ability and desires and more..., the difference with the 27" rear end was very noticeable. The 29 on the front kept the bike unchanged with it's ability to roll over the roughs, but the bike, specifically the rear end, was way more playful and lively. I'm sure that things like geometry alterations and gyro forces all contributed...but I don't have that level of tech knowledge to support that...but the feedback as a rider was extremely noticeable and, for me, a very positive change in performance.

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY
On my Levo SL, I rode for a few months with the initial 29/29 setup. It was fun and fast, but the bike felt less playful than my previous Pivot Mach6 with 27/27 setup. I attributed this to it being a completely different bike and left it at that. Then I swapped the rear for a 27" and rode the same sets of trails for a clear side by side comparison. For me, and this is what most of the above posts are telling you because it's unique to my riding ability and desires and more..., the difference with the 27" rear end was very noticeable. The 29 on the front kept the bike unchanged with it's ability to roll over the roughs, but the bike, specifically the rear end, was way more playful and lively. I'm sure that things like geometry alterations and gyro forces all contributed...but I don't have that level of tech knowledge to support that...but the feedback as a rider was extremely noticeable and, for me, a very positive change in performance.
I did the same....love my mullet configuration......even though some warned against it

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
I've had both on two successive models of the same bike (a 2019 model and a 2021 model). I started on a 29er having come from many years riding 26" none powered bikes. I enjoyed it and it was quick but always felt a bit big and cumbersome. So when I changed it I went for 27.5" (actually the bead diameter is only an inch bigger that a 26er) I'm a lot happier with the 27.5" model but I think a lot of that is to do with the fact that I am quite small @ 5' 7" and 72kg. I think you'll find that your body size will be a key factor in what suites you best as well as all the other salient points that others have made.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles