The Great Debate - Bolts, locks, or non-removable battery??

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
How do you like your battery to be secured? Whether internally or externally mounted, it seems to me the most important question is how you get it off the frame.

For me, I do long distance rides and also commute on my hard tail. I like the security of a lock when I leave the bike unattended, but also the option to whip it off to keep it safe at work or charge it in a cafe.

Those EMBN guys seems to favor bolts, which I just don't get... Ok, you have no key to forget, but then it's hardly secure if you ever leave you bike out.

WDYT?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How so? I assume because it's relatively secure. Anything else I'm missing?
A battery that is locked away inside the frame is no doubt safe from casual theft, and it can lead to a lighter and cleaner looking bike. But, if you are travelling overnight, getting a power supply to a mucky bike can be a problem. The landlady of your B&B may not be too keen on having the bike in the hallway or your bedroom. Ditto hotel. It's a good job I have power in my garage, because sometimes after a mucky ride my wife won't even let me into the house, let alone the bike!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I think a variety of options across multiple manufacturers works well! :)

I’m just about to buy a bike with an external battery but it wasn’t really a deciding factor, it’s got its benefits (practical) and its drawbacks (aesthetics).

Shimano could clean up in 12-24 months if they coincide the release of a new motor with a higher capacity backward compatible battery. Lots of people rushing out to buy new bikes with an update motor, plus lots of people upgrading their existing battery. I’m sure there are lots of reasons this won’t be possible but it would be nice!

Last edited:

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
A battery that is locked away inside the frame is no doubt safe from casual theft, and it can lead to a lighter and cleaner looking bike. But, if you are travelling overnight, getting a power supply to a mucky bike can be a problem. The landlady of your B&B may not be too keen on having the bike in the hallway or your bedroom. Ditto hotel. It's a good job I have power in my garage, because sometimes after a mucky ride my wife won't even let me into the house, let alone the bike!

I did the unthinkable and power-washed my bike before I checked into a motel in Gallup, New Mexico. They actually tried to tell me that their open parking lot was safe but let me wheel it into my room when I showed my spotless and dry bike. (Gallup has three times the property crime rate and four times the violent crime rate as a typical US city). The hotel itself, Best Western Plus Gallup, was very good and has great reviews.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bolt. So easy. No faffing looking for keys or more shit to lose or go wrong.

Anyone ever had, or heard of a battery being stolen? I hate battery keys with a passion. Who leaves their bike unattended for that long that you need a key to secure a battery?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'd rather a bolt than the lock I have now. Less to forget if I want to change batteries on the trail. Possibly a more secure fit as well. Plus I have two bikes so two keys.... I dislike keys enough to have changed my house locks to code/fingerprint.

Gordon

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Keys I have to carry on a typical day: Shed key; Shed chain; Shed dlock; Tern GSD battery lock 1; Tern GSD battery lock 2 (why aren't they key'ed alike?!?!); Work dlock 1; Work dlock2; Light chain key.

I now split my bike keys across 3 keyrings, plus house keys, just so Im not carrying a fist sized bundle of metal everywhere.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My house had many keys, plus spares for my wife and two daughters, plus a friend for when we are on holidays. I spoke to a locksmith and he told me that if I changed the locks he could supply them all with the same key. One key for the whole house! Plus the locks would defeat the screwdriver and hammer trick that was moving steadily south towards our county. One of the smallest best things I've done to the house. :)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I used to have the Focus Built in Battery, It was a pain to charge sometimes, and probably not good for the battery being left in a cold garage over winter.
I now have a Bosch External battery with lock. It's fine for me. With batteries costing up to €700 I am happy to be able to lock it. And If I do lock up my bike out of sight (E.g. a beer garden whilst on a ride) then I take the battery with me which is easy with an external bettary. Which thief is going to steal a bike where he has to invest €700 on a battery to get it to work!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
........... Which thief is going to steal a bike where he has to invest €700 on a battery to get it to work!!

The ones who have no intention of riding or even selling the bike. The ones whose sole intention is to strip the bike, ditch the identifiable frame and sell the parts. It is why some thieves ignore the expensive high spec lock and just cut through the frame. But other than that, I agree that removing the battery is a good tactic, probably the best you can do if you have to be out of sight of the bike. My bike never leaves my sight except when locked up in my garage. But even that is no guarantee that it won't get stolen one day.

What a world we live in. I'd rather trash the bike myself than let some thieving toerag have the benefit of my hard earned. :mad:

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I can cope with bolt or key, I want to travel with my bike (so hotel, b&b, hostel, self catering), so I need the ability to recharge when I want so it needs to be easily removable, the bike can live securely in the car. It’s also likely to make long term ownership cheaper If you ever need a new battery and hopefully, just like we have emotor repair shops we will get battery rebuild/repair shops.

i havent heard of battery theft yet but if/when there are lots of ebikes being left at stations etc etc etc and the current price rises continue I suspect it’s on the cards.

we didn’t use to have catalytic converter thefts years ago, but once we got them and people found out their value and that they were conveniently bolted on to the back of the car it’s happening.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles