Locks... ???

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Locks...
Paranoid or not?
Choices:
1) No, don't care. I ride, then I come home. No worries. Bike is never out of sight.
2) Quick rides to the store, or a low crime area. All I need is a simple cable lock.
3) Had my bike stolen once, so I need quality protection.
4) I want the best, maybe multiple devices like alarm, and Ulock or more.
What do you think?
I trust my neighborhood, and my locked garage, so no worries there.
But... out and about. I am out at stores etc. more.
Downtown Vancouver is a bike theft area like any metro area, but I will rarely be there.
My area, not so much. That being said, I wouldn't mind a lock system that let me go to a restaurant or something for an hour or two with no worries.
https://www.amazon.ca/ABUS-Bordo-Alarm-Keye...bus+bordo+alarm

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I don’t lock up any of my expensive bikes. If I am going to ride to a restaurant I’m not going to ride an Emtb, I going to ride my beater that isn’t going to raise my insurance premiums if it gets jacked.
4A474E7C-246D-43EF-ABE9-8A66B203DE37.jpeg

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
It was number 1 for me until last week, when we made an unplanned break at a restaurant, leaving the bikes in sight, but too far away to prevent somebody hopping on and ride away. So i freshly got a number cable lock that went into my backpack.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm in the same situation as you Dave and looked at the various options. Not going to leave our two ebikes stored on the street overnight but will leave them when going into cafes etc. and you don't want to be worrying about them and checking every few minutes.

A cable lock is close to useless against any bike thief with bolt utters and a D-lock is so heavy and hard to carry. I ended getting two Abus Bordo Alarms (keyed alike). These will take a fair bit of effort to cut through (and will certainly defeat any opportunistic thief) but have the added advantage of a pretty loud alarm if someone starts fiddling with the bike. They weigh about 1.4Kg, which is still heavy but manageable, and fold up to a compact size. I use Velcro straps to strap the lock carrier to the frames of our bikes. That way I can take them on and off quickly.

They work a treat. Having two of them keyed alike is good insurance as we both carry a key and if one of us loses a key, we aren't screwed :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ever seen the videos on how to break a U lock using a car jack...
Broken loads with car jacks. (stolen/recovered by police) when I worked as a bike mechanic.
A crowbar or vice would do many. but now angle grinders and drills are mega portable and powerful no lock is genuinely secure

Reactions: Dax

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Ever seen the videos on how to break a U lock using a car jack...
U-locks arent bombproof. But you can make breaking more difficulty by choosen the lock that is small and sturdy as possibly. Small size prevents thief to get anything inside the ”u”. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles