the future of ebikes , banned from lots of trails !?

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
I've got a levo on order and just found out the local council want them banned from footpaths/trails , they say they causing more damage , anyone else see this as a future issue ?

Reactions: iXi

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Guess it depends which country you are in, footpaths you shouldn’t be riding on so that just leaves which types of trails?
Local council seems a UK term

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
"Causing more damage" sounds like typical council spin - what exact damage can be pinned only on ebikes? An increase in rider numbers and therefore traffic will put more wear and tear on tracks, but that is true of any bikes. Likewise the "heavy e-bikes wreck the trails" argument doesn't follow, as a 120kg rider on a 15kg regular bike is a lot more mass than a 75kg rider on a 25kg ebike.

corsair77

Apr 9, 2019
Winchester, UK
Not to mention a one-ton horse with steel shod feet!
I remember one byway being closed to motorbikes due to a "fragile" bridge that couldn't take the weight, but it was still open to horses. That only got reversed when the council was challenged over it and it came to light that they didn't have a clue what motorbikes and horses might actually weigh! So it was nothing to do with weight, they just didn't like motorbikes. You do have to wonder whether there might be a similar anti-ebike bias in some places, so any excuse to ban them will do.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Come on, name and shame the council then, always good to know where the stupid old nimby's are located ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

Dukeinlondon

Apr 9, 2018
South West London
I remember one byway being closed to motorbikes due to a "fragile" bridge that couldn't take the weight, but it was still open to horses. That only got reversed when the council was challenged over it and it came to light that they didn't have a clue what motorbikes and horses might actually weigh! So it was nothing to do with weight, they just didn't like motorbikes. You do have to wonder whether there might be a similar anti-ebike bias in some places, so any excuse to ban them will do.

Motorcyclists have an distinct taste for loud machines and speed. That definitely doesn't help with acceptance on the backdrop of the calm of a forest or mountain trail. I have contrasting memories in France of enduring an hour of 2 stroke engine on a picnic in the middle of nowhere, and 2 enduro riders switching engine off as they saw us on a mountain trail and descending on gravity for a while.

Given the comments on the noise levels of various motors on these forums, I trust the noise aspect won't be a problem, we like the quiet too.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

It's not just a knee jerk anti-bike attitude that I mind, that is sort of expected. It is the uncritical pro-horse attitude that gets up my chuff. In the UK at least there is a minimum 1000-year history of horse use (2000 years if you allow for the Romans using them). They were a highly important asset to the individual, commerce, transport and the country as a whole, right up to half way through WW1. When I was kid, our milkman still used a horse! (That dates me!) So it is not surprising that there is an in-depth legacy, not just in our bridleways, but our language and our laws. The occasional Police horse excepted, all horses are used for now is recreation and ceremony. So why are they still worshipped so? Why are they and their riders allowed to swan about as though they owned the place? Why is any restriction on their use followed by howls of outrage? Why are they allowed to shit anywhere they like and to damage any trail they like. Anyone who objects to this is seen as an unreasonable Marxist toff-hater who is trying to subvert established society! :mad:

Errrr... rant over! :giggle:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Some good recent news over here. Provincial policy gave pedal assist the go ahead. Our local cycling club seems relatively open to them. Theyll be allowed at several of the trail systems(8? Different surrounding mountains/systems) with the only restrictions being one xc area and one popular out and back alpine ride. I'm betting atleast the xc area will accept them in a year or two once people understand what they're about. Put me in the pleasantly surprised category

B.C. policy change means e-mountain bikes permitted on Revelstoke trails, for now - Revelstoke Mountaineer

D

Deleted member 2899

Judging on the obviously increasing number sales of e-bikes and their growth at trail centres it would be very short sighted, business wise, to start banning them. I've also noticed at some centres they charge more for e-bikes than standard bikes on the basis, presumably, that more rides will be completed resulting in more wear and tear. This seems a little unfair as, at 70 years old, that hardly applies to me compared to a 20 year old. IMO they should find another way of distinguishing if distinguishing they must.

Alan

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Judging on the obviously increasing number sales of e-bikes and their growth at trail centres it would be very short sighted, business wise, to start banning them. I've also noticed at some centres they charge more for e-bikes than standard bikes on the basis, presumably, that more rides will be completed resulting in more wear and tear. This seems a little unfair as, at 70 years old, that hardly applies to me compared to a 20 year old. IMO they should find another way of distinguishing if distinguishing they must.
The "increased wear" argument is a bit of a smoke screen I think. If you go to a bike park a decent % of their income is from the the uplift, so if lots of riders are suddenly no longer using it they will want to recover that revenue somehow.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
My local bike park has a chairlift but won't allow ebikes due to the rules around transporting batteries apparently. They do have an uphill track I can ride for free (which would be a slog on a regular bike), so I use that and then ride back down.

jakeycov

May 9, 2019
Stroud, Glos
My local bike park has a chairlift but won't allow ebikes due to the rules around transporting batteries apparently. They do have an uphill track I can ride for free (which would be a slog on a regular bike), so I use that and then ride back down.

Rules around transporting batteries.. This is hilarious. Better leave your mobile phones in the car :)

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Rules around transporting batteries.. This is hilarious. Better leave your mobile phones in the car :)
I know - you hear of batteries overheating if they are left on charge too long, but what's the real chance of an ebike bursting into flames on a five minute chairlift ride?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I know - you hear of batteries overheating if they are left on charge too long, but what's the real chance of an ebike bursting into flames on a five minute chairlift ride?

But what are the consequences if it does? Imagine being suspended from an open chairlift with an exploding battery behind you.

I'm almost reluctant to discuss the risk of that battery starting spot fires below because we'd be facing a total exclusion from fire prone regions.

Another issue ( at least in oz) is the workers compensation issues if the assistant helps load a bike over 20 kg and gets injured (20-25 kg is the general care when lifting weight for female / male workers) - so unless you have a caution heavy load sticker , good luck when that workcover case goes to court !

I know lifting my 23 kg giant onto the thredbo chairlift is a lot more tricky than my clockwork - it's right on the limit where I can comfortably lift it whilst vertical, but then trying to slot the front into a moving lift bracket - not easy.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
But what are the consequences if it does? Imagine being suspended from an open chairlift with an exploding battery behind you.

I'm almost reluctant to discuss the risk of that battery starting spot fires below because we'd be facing a total exclusion from fire prone regions.

Another issue ( at least in oz) is the workers compensation issues if the assistant helps load a bike over 20 kg and gets injured (20-25 kg is the general care when lifting weight for female / male workers) - so unless you have a caution heavy load sticker , good luck when that workcover case goes to court !

I know lifting my 23 kg giant onto the thredbo chairlift is a lot more tricky than my clockwork - it's right on the limit where I can comfortably lift it whilst vertical, but then trying to slot the front into a moving lift bracket - not easy.
Very well aware of the consequences. In the case of this particular park (Christchurch Adventure Park) there's not much left to burn after a forest fire two years ago (started elsewhere).

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Last season in France/Switzerland two lifts, Mossettes up from les Lindarets and Supper Morzine insisted you removed your battery. When asked why all we got was a French shrug from the lifty. I have an external battery so easy to remove. But some internals a real pain. Although an internal looks more like a clockwork. The only lift I can recall is Crosets where the lifty physically lifts the bikes on to the chair. I don’t think humping 22+kg all day would go down well!

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Last season in France/Switzerland two lifts, Mossettes up from les Lindarets and Supper Morzine insisted you removed your battery. When asked why all we got was a French shrug from the lifty. I have an external battery so easy to remove. But some internals a real pain. Although an internal looks more like a clockwork. The only lift I can recall is Crosets where the lifty physically lifts the bikes on to the chair. I don’t think humping 22+kg all day would go down well!
So just to make the bike lighter to lift ?
You must have taken the battery on the lift after removal? Or did they send the batteries up on empty chairs behind you ?
Judging by the sheer amount of EMTBs In Morzine and les gets just lately I’m sure they will have to work things out .
Then again they may just put them selves out of a job altogether, we can pedal up now ?
I even saw a roady on a stealthy ebike?
As seen last weekend
5721EB0C-6942-4370-8C03-C09A73982DBD.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
Riding Ebikes in the USA for the last three years I have noticed increased Trail restrictions. Mostly riding in Colorado, Utah and Arizona, the particular trails that are restricted seem to fall into three groups
1. Shared hiking/bike where speed and congestion is a concern
2. Short popular Mtn bike trails that would be backed up by speedy Ebikes
3. Wilderness designed areas that have allowed bikes but ban any motors including drones.
4. There is also a recent concerted effort to limit electric powered bikes, scooters and the like in bike friendly National parks like Arcadia in Main.
Electric bikes prohibited on carriage roads - Mount Desert Islander
Electric Bikes in National Parks (Answered)
The main issue for me is that the restrictions on local trails are not usually posted on-line only at the trailhead.?
I am ancient enough to remember the snowboard ban at most ski areas so am hopefully that as the ecycle ridership increases the Stigma will decrease as it did with snowboarding.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I think a lot of issues around access are simply due to laws drawn up when motor meant internal combustion rather than electric. Hopefully this will change in time as ebike numbers grow and research hopefully shows a) they pose no more risk to trails than other users and b) extra bikers are good for regions with trails needing the tourist dollar.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Guess it depends which country you are in, footpaths you shouldn’t be riding on so that just leaves which types of trails?
Local council seems a UK term

Not strictly true. This was issued in 2014 and seems to have been forgotten. Responsible cyclists CAN use footpaths/pavements:

The guidance, which was first issued by Home Office Paul Boateng 15 years ago, states: “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users.17 Jan 2014
Telegraph › uknews
Let cyclists go on pavements if roads are dangerous, minister tells ...

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
That is a freaking joke and a half.
The only rules I know of about transporting batteries is the airline rule and many countries have rules stating when transporting a large volume of batteries it must be indicated as per other dangerous goods. Any twat claiming a rule effects uplifts is indeed a twat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles